Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans
Does anyone have experience with pushing an existing union farther left? Setting is healthcare, so think SEIU or WSNA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans
Solid advice, thanks. Will be applying to RN Residencies in the coming months and the average caseload in the hospitals near me go up to 5, which is terrifying. I don't think fighting for lower ratios is even on the agenda with everything going on, so I get it. I'll just take my time and try to build as much worker power as I can

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

kingcobweb posted:

check out these books:

Strike For America, about the CTU and the caucus within that union to push it to left/being more effective. this is short, like 100 pages, so you could read a pdf pretty easily

Raising Expectations and Raising Hell, memoir by McAlevey about being within the SEIU organizing health care workers

I don’t have direct experience but those books should point the way!!

Thank you! I'll check them out and start working through them.

apropos to nothing posted:

congrats on getting through nursing school, hardest thing I’ve ever done. depending on where you’re at nurses unions can range from strong to non existent if you’re in the US. honestly hearing your hospitals only go up to 5 pts on med surg sounds like a dream compared to where I was when I started out, we would have 6 max and there were days in my first year where I had a team of 6 and had to charge. ratios are definitely a huge deal and for a good example of how not to organize take a look at the example out of massachusettes from 2 years ago where they failed to get an amendment passed limiting the nurse patient ratio.

Thanks, it was miserable! I definitely am lucky to be capped at 5, although I'm not sure if that's an official cap or not. I can't even imagine what it would be like to have 8 in CA, or no caps at all. It's absolutely terrifying.

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans
Attending an online OT 101! Last time I went through a 101 was about a decade ago, so I'm due. The online format will be interesting. 4 sessions, 3 hours each. I'm pumped!

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

LordoftheScheisse posted:

My work has successfully met with union representatives and has began organizing. So far we have 7 people that have signed up and paid dues. Supposedly, once we hit double digits, we'll start to see some real poo poo...er change.

what industry?