Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Crumbskull posted:

Thats pretty much still how the ILWU does it, or at least it was at the docks I worked at.

Making people show up and throw in for jobs in person can be a surprisingly great way to handle things for a union job bc it balances doing stuff fairly by seniority with letting the young and hungry guys have something they can do (hang around constantly) to get their foot in the door

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Crumbskull posted:

Oh for sure, I'd never have gotten any hours if it didn't work like that (didn't keep at it long enough to get my card though).

I saw a guy take a $25000 piss at a union hall one time lol

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

In arrangements like that, do the people waiting around for work get any compensation?

Where I am, not directly, but we have a few systems to make it easier on people to where it's only when you're very very junior that there's an issue

Edit: free coffee and the occasional pool table yes

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Just having a union is huge, even we think it's succ, the cushy contracts, high wages, benefits, etc change peoples fuckin lives beyond recognition. I feel like the biggest thing I can do in my union is try to steer every conversation towards more focused organizing in neglected parts of our own existing industry, and actually pushing hard at the negotiating table. And doing poo poo to give new members a leg up. Vigorously pursuing these core functions is in and of itself radical and pushes back against complacency, fygmism, and the more senior guess trying to pull up the ladder

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
its so key to just get more dudes, and get em better contracts, just go out and find every dude you can, theres probably some non union dudes doing your job for half your wages within a mile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Operating engineers union is cool