Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

dudes rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

it FEELS like a lot of striking workers have been settling early, to me

i mean it's hard going without pay, of course. tough all around

without strike experience, banked resources, etc., it's easy to get scared when you're the ones actually out on strike, which makes it tempting to accept when you get a better offer than you originally expected even if it's not as good as you might be able to get with a longer strike. I feel like everybody has kinda internalized that long strikes are a big risk/reward tradeoff and they're scared of the strike collapsing and ending up worse off than they were when they started

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Alkydere posted:

While, yes, bigger wins are indeed popular I'm just glad that there have been so many strikes and they've been winning as of late. It's getting into the public's mind that strikes can, and often will be won which is a major victory in and of itself.

Also loving LOL: Kellogs ate poo poo in the public eye.

Yes, absolutely this. A win is a win, of course you can say a bigger win would be better but after decades of losing, organized labour getting a high-profile winning streak is huge.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

CoolCab posted:

“We want to thank Jeff Bezos for going to space, because while he was up there we were organizing a union,” said ALU President Chris Smalls after official results were announced.

lol and also this line should be in history books. it so eloquently summarizes the morbid symptoms of the day

This is a fantastic quote.

Solidarity forever, I loving love it that there is now an Amazon union and I hope it's only the first step of many.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Are there any examples of owners that have an amicable relationship with the unions that they work with? I understand that their class interests are diametrically opposed, and that probably answers that question, but it just seems like if you were trying to run a successful business there's actually a lot of things that unions bring to the table that would make that easier to do?

Places in Europe where unionization is much more ingrained and affects the majority of the workforce often have shared governance models where unions have seats on the board and so on, and the relationship tends to be more amicable despite the opposed interests, if only because the unions are seen as an inevitable part of doing business rather than something that can always be crushed and destroyed. If you go into business decisions with the foundational assumption that your workers will be unionized rather than the foundational assumption that it's possible to have an entirely un-unionized workforce if you either crush unionization efforts or destroy existing unions, it leads to a different relationship between labour and capital even though labour and capital remain opposed aspects of the business.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
hell yeah gently caress em up kingcobweb ✊🏼

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hell yeah, well done

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Fantastic stuff

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

this is me. i'm the guy in the OP. verizon literally fired me for unionizing lol. tagging this photo "me" but irl not as a goof it's actually me

https://twitter.com/VzwUnion/status/1517638163333738496

that sucks dude but I have hope that your efforts will pay off and you destroy them in the end

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

hell yeah

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
hi people who frequent this thread, I am thinking about how we occasionally get complaints that cspam has too many stickied threads and how it might be nice to have room at the top of the forum to stick fun new threads temporarily. Do you think being stickied is good for this thread? Should it stay at the top of the list or should it surf the waves of poster interest like the rest of the forum?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
this is more or less what I expected on this thread's sticky status, but I wanted to ask instead of just assuming. I like this thread and I like it being stickied so it will stay where it is. Thanks!

Zodium posted:

this thread should remain stickied and whatever “fun new threads” the mods had on the powerpoint during the committee meeting this post was composed in should surf the waves of poster interest

to be very clear, I don't mean mod threads and this wasn't some committee decision, I mean the way in some other SA subforums if somebody posts a good thread mods or IKs sometimes stick it for a week or two to give it some extra exposure

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

they're running scared

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

In Training posted:

all very true, the difficulty of trying to impose workers' demands on international monopolies with limitless resources....the tactics would have to be pretty different, and different from region to region based on how many stores are already unionized + community sentiment and other ongoing labor activity.

i don't envy workers engaging in that struggle, but there's also wider sentiment growing in multiple ways. A thought: who delivers the raw materials to Starbucks locations? Teamster truck drivers? Solidarity strikes that disrupt the actual supply in a region could more clearly show the power of witholding labor, and cut across different industries in a pretty visceral way....

Yeah, I wonder about this too. If there's a lot of vertical integration within a company, a union that organized at multiple levels within the company's supply chain might have more leverage - if you can get the people who roast the Starbucks beans to strike, or the truck drivers who deliver supplies to the stores, that likely puts more pressure on the bottom line than the frontline workers striking. (I would imagine a similar thing with, for instance, the techs who maintain and repair Verizon infrastructure compared to the store workers) But I think part of the changes to firm structure in late capitalism protects firms against this kind of thing, because so many of those additional upstream and downstream functions are done by separate contractors to atomize the workforce and dilute bargaining power. If Starbucks doesn't roast its own beans or drive its own trucks, then organizing those workers in the same union as the frontline workers becomes more of a challenge, and as far as I know current labour law (at least in the US) makes sympathy strikes illegal so a coffee roasters or truck drivers union would be less inclined to support a frontline worker strike as a result.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

^^^absolutely right^^^

if your union campaign is dependent upon one person, it will fail. if it is dependent upon having the "right" person lead it, it will fail

the whole point of the exercise is that you're stronger together. everyone should be ready to step up and do their little part in spreading the message, answering questions, listening to concerns/wants, having the same conversations over and over. everyone has a different conversation style/approach that is useful to explaining the benefits of a union to someone

e: put another way, if 50% of the workers at a workplace are just idly chatting about unions all the time, versus one or two people militantly trying to convince a bunch of people and everyone else just sorta saying "sounds good, go for it," it's a lot harder to stop the campaign. i'm exaggerating for effect, but you get it

This is also what makes a union resilient in the long run. If it's organized around and by a single driven leadership figure it's much more likely to be vulnerable if that person gets fired or moves or gets burned out or whatever. If it's organized around and by a lot of people each using their own strengths to further the cause in a small way, that's a much more diffuse and resilient structure.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

dudes rock

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Tom Smykowski posted:

Organizing never ends. Organize to form the union, organize to negotiate the contract, organize to enforce the contract, organize to negotiate the new contract, organize for union elections etc

Organizers need to be constantly engaging new members and re-engaging older members. Stewards need to be constantly protecting the contract as management changes up tactics. Meetings need to be kept running to guide everything.

The struggle never stops.

Yeah even if everyone is on board with the union right now, things change over time. People retire or get new jobs and new people come in, who may be less committed to the union. Contracts expire and need to be renegotiated. Contract violations need to be investigated and enforced. Management keeps trying to bust the union and you have to keep showing the members why maintaining it is essential. Organizing never ends.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
coming into the union organizing thread to tell people that unions are bad and customer service workers don't deserve to feed their families ftw

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

It's a fake post, nobody is actually this stupid.

based on the angry PMs I got afterwards calling me a leftist coward for violating their free speech I'm not convinced

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

thinking about unionizing the poop factory

any advice?

learn to commode

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Let's not go there please.

for anybody in the US who hasn't seen it, there's a new front in anti-union warfare in Canada: the government of Ontario has passed legislation that overrules the constitutionally-protected right to strike to force a dogshit contract on already-severely-underpaid unionized education workers. This has never been done before and a whole lot of the province's unions are declaring sympathy strikes and other labour actions to try and oppose it. I haven't seen any numbers on it yet because it's all happened over the last few days, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's Canada's biggest coordinated labour action in decades. We'll see if it works, the government was reelected with a majority earlier this year and much of their base are rabidly anti-union so they may not think they have much to lose politically from taking as hard a line as possible against striking workers

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

yeah it's really atrocious, the unions so far are basically ignoring it and hoping that a big enough labour action will force the government back to the table and probably make them retroactively waive fines like that, but technically speaking the way Canadian law works if the government wants to just enforce the law as they passed it with the massive fines or firing all the striking workers or beating their heads in with police clubs there's nothing stopping them, which means we may be entering a new era of labour militancy where the unions have to pay less attention to what the law permits them to do and more attention to what they can actually extract by force of withholding labour whether currently considered legal or not. At this point it's either that or capitulate completely to anti-union provincial leaders who smell blood in the water

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bleu posted:

It's an open-and-shut repeat of Bill 115 and will end the exact same way (Doug Ford crucified in court, ideally humiliated out of politics forever, banished to a dungheap in Sarnia).

they lost the court case over Bill 115 because the court found that it violated the constitutional right to collective bargaining.

The new bill invokes the notwithstanding clause so that that constitutional right doesn't apply.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The premier is already backing down, offering to withdraw the bill that imposed a contract and banned strikes, if CUPE calls off the strike. We're in limbo right now waiting to see the offer in writing and see how the union leadership is going to respond.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

drat dude, glad to hear you might get your job back after all this, and it's great to see the NLRB taking your side. I know it's a slim hope, but I hope Verizon don't drag it out with yet more bullshit

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

unless the higher court decides not to hear their appeal (unlikely) this will still take years

yeah that's what I figured, but still nice to see one step in the right direction

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

tag urself im M-Overweight

I'm P-Will Keep because I like the idea of the UPS guy just going "Nah, gonna keep this one, P"

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I remember back when we were told Marty Walsh would be a good Secretary of Labor because he had been a union official before becoming mayor of Boston and appointing a former union leader Secretary of Labor proved that Biden would be a pro-union president, and now here we are.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The UK has reached the striking is unpatriotic and pro-Russian stage of anti-worker insanity.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Geight posted:

Hello organizing goons! I just wanted to swing by again and mention that my cafe filed to unionize this weekend and thank yall for the good advice helping us get back up on our feet after getting busted last time. I hope the next time I post in here it is with news of a successful election!

That's awesome, great job and good luck!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
There are definitely unions that use "association" to describe themselves. The official name of the organization matters much less than its social and legal function. If it organizes collective bargaining on behalf of the workers, it's a union.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Geight posted:

Hello fellow union goons, happy to report that our store won its vote today 18-1 today so we're a union coffee shop now!

Great work, congratulations!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

pogi posted:

like a thousand+ people signed this thing and a hundred people came up and helped pin it to the wall outside management’s office martin luther style. it’s like 3’x10’, seriously impressive in person. definitely built up energy for the strike we’re gearing up for, and a few of the admin types that stumbled up on us in the middle of it were visibly shook.

scrubbed out the names since I’m sure people wouldn’t like me posting them on a dead gay comedy form, but they’re in a smaller font than the rest of the letter. it owned so much y’all, I’m so proud

That's amazing, well done!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

I have actual genuine for real no-poo poo :siren: BREAKING NEWS :siren: to report in a cspam EXCLUSIVE:

Verizon signed an agreement with the NLRB over my case, the terms of which are that they had to give me about $15k cash, $8k 401k/other benefits, and my job reinstated. I'm walking back to work at the Northgate store in Seattle on Monday the 20th. (if you're seattle area and wanna come in the morning to attend the rally about it, PM me)

That's incredible!! Congratulations! :toot:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/alexnpress/status/1641228310792249346

cool, almost like different kinds of workers have different strengths and solidarity across industry lines leads to a more powerful labour movement

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Geight posted:

Because the deck is so heavily stacked against the worker I know it takes a long time for the material benefits of organizing and unionization to roll in, but I've been helping other cafes organize and hearing one of em is ready to file soon is just a fantastic feeling. I know it's just vibes, but at least it's good vibes. :unsmith:

That's fantastic, good for you for putting in that work. It is always a long, hard struggle but seeing it pay off at the end is so worth it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Bird Union rules

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
8-1 jfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
gently caress them up UPS workers