Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

abuse culture. posted:

just unionized my nonprofit workplace, we sign all the Documents Monday night :toot:

awesome!

i convinced my very small team that the best way to get the raises we deserve is to go to the boss together. it's not much but it's a first!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

my workplace is unionizing. we won the election over the summer before I was hired and we're entering the bargaining phase now. I'm a steward and working on rallying people to prepare for the struggle, including getting people to signal their support for possible collective action if management isn't accommodating. anyone got any good recommendations for ways to do this? I'm using materials provided by our umbrella union but my coworkers are all good natured liberals who don't quite understand what is happening and I'd like to use the right language to stress the importance of this process. i'm non-ideological when interacting with my reports, they don't need to know i'm a Communist for me to organize effectively, but I'm also generally trying to encourage radicalization among other stewards/supporting union statements in support of Palestine and stuff. we're in a tough stage right now where we have a proposed contract and management is about to attack it / do everything they can to undermine our demands, so I'm just trying to do what I can to prepare and help my union start the negotiations on solid footing

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

thanks! it's a remote workplace which complicates things a little, but having already won and entered the status quo period definitely makes us all feel more secure. it sounds like what we're doing now is the right thing.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

those are all great, thanks! I think some of this is highlighting for me how different the nonprofit space is in this regard. as things stand, we're light on meetings and cameras aren't required. there's no key or mouse tracking of any kind and I'm sure there'd be a rebellion if it was ever suggested. same with expectations to work outside of 8-5, they're genuinely aghast at the idea and nobody is permitted to go over 40 full stop.

i'm not sure about in-office stuff but there are some union members in the organization's actual office (which is across the country from me) so that is a good reminder to make sure we also advocate for them.

Lib and let die posted:

fight like hell to prevent a no strike/no lockout clause from being in the contract, IME a no-strike clause also extends to slowdowns and walkouts in addition to strikes which basically leaves you with the options "write letters, wear buttons/red, and then strike" which is an escalation leap most folks aren't going to want to make.

I think we have already secured this but I'm gonna take a gander at the contract and bring it up to make sure the language is solid. I can't imagine how horrible this would be with a soulless for-profit company as the adversary. administration where I work are odious bourgeois vampires, of course, but they have spent decades advocating openly for all kinds of "inclusive" stuff that makes it a lot harder for them to openly ratfuck us without looking like huge hypocrites in the nonprofit world. that hasn't stopped them from doing so, ofc, but they're being sneakier about it than is typical I imagine.

really appreciate the advice!