Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm working in a company and industry at large that is absolutely dying for unionization and I really want to start working on it- been pushing the guys I work with towards it but I can't start causing any real trouble because I don't have my citizenship yet and I don't want them to try and give me the ol Harry Bridges :smith:

It's a dangerous job, desperately underpaid and highly skilled, but there's no barrier to entry and anyone can just set up and start working so wages are kept low because of all the one man bands doing poo poo work for cheap and keeping prices down. One of the highest priorities on any union agenda would have to be some kind of accreditation or something

some plague rats has issued a correction as of 23:51 on Sep 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Without getting too much into detail, I'm part of an organizing drive at work- there's another company a region over from us that's got a really good collective bargaining system going on, and we're taking a lot of cues from their effort. A big problem we're having though is high turnover, people tend to come onboard, get some experience and tickets/licenses, then immediately gently caress off to greener pastures as soon as they're able. Their replacements tend to be young and new to the industry, and as such not inclined to rock the boat at all. It's immensely frustrating, because they're doing the same (dangerous) job I am and getting crap money for it, but there's a perception that because they're new and learning they just have to put up with lovely conditions for a while. I don't know why "you deserve to be treated better than this" is such a hard sell, but here we are

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

over 90% of my workplace has signed cards :) barring some kind of legal pushback or union busting tactic (very unlikely but we've at least prepared for it) I think weve got ourselves a unionized labor force. this thread kicks rear end!!

holy poo poo my dude, good work