Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Question about how to approach people in my profession (comp toucher), but I guess more broadly antagonistic-to-union people. It's a question that's been bothering me - I do work for my local unionizing organizations but unionizing in my own workplace has been difficult.

You see, we had a problem with our manager. To the point people were organising lowkey meetings to talk about his bullshit.

I look at this and see soil ripe for some leftist organisation. So I suggested unionising and the response was an overwhelming 'meh' except for a few people. The prevailing opinion was that it was leftist and come on, comp touchers need no unions.

The thing is, in my country the legislation is literally just sign a document with 10 people you get all the protections, the union is formed. But even though it would have solved our problems most people were against. So how would you approach the education of those kinds of people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

it sounds like you’re approaching this with the mindset that forming a union is the only end goal. it shouldn’t be the only goal, and it’s not even an end in itself- it’s a way to get more power at work, but there’s things to do before and after

instead of talking “we need a union” with anti-union stuff, talk about actions you CAN take that would be helpful and possible. what sorts of issues are you having?

It's kind of back in the past - I switched jobs since - but the issues that were happening were general abuse of workers that didn't agree with the manager; a disregard for our work-life balance, and most importantly, to drive profits up, an actual order to commit a crime. Obviously I can't divulge details, but it was severe stuff.

People have set up a bunch of meetings to talk what to do about it, that went nowhere and were basically just some whining. I figured this was the best moment to suggest unionising, which in my country basically allows you to protect any union member from firing, automatically. We would then use that to push back against the idea of especially the illegal stuff, but also fight against the other problems. For instance, you can send union reps to the management to negotiate, and we'd obviously have a lot of leverage because we had documented proof the manager in question was asking us to commit a crime. And if any proceedings happen, as a member of an union you can get automatic legal representation from the central union organisation. HR stonewalled us, of course. The thing that struck me was that except for a couple very enthusiastic people it was met with an outright hostility, like unionising was beneath them even though they took the time to do #resistance style hidden meetings to whine.

dex_sda has issued a correction as of 23:41 on May 15, 2020

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

what I would have tried to do in that situation is direct those meetings (which are already a great first step) toward action, even if people won’t get along with a union. direct people toward: “okay, what’s the best way to fix this?” would a walkout be effective? maybe a letter to the CEO? refusal to work in ways that violate rules? say that you won’t obey an order unless it’s given to you in writing to force them to have written evidence they’re ordering a crime? etc etc

while those meetings might have ended up just being an airing of grievances, those are actually a big, important step: they show that people are willing to set something up outside of work to talk about it. you just need to add actions to that structure.

I used the meetings to proselytize to the people who were receptive and converted one to more leftist thought, not a total waste. :) But I don't know if I agree with that 'show they are willing' thing, it might just be whining. Computer touchers are a weird bunch in this respect, far less of anything that would approach consciousness of their own subservience and issues with the worker/employer relationship. We have used the "won't obey an order unless in writing" thing under my and a friend's insistence almost immediately (most others were just going with it!!), and that's what led to the scraps of proof we had. The manager was CEO's friend, classic nepotism. Walkout would be effective and I haven't suggested that, maybe that was the mistake. I think the idea of directing action is a good one.

It just felt really demoralising to see people not even consider a solution which actually solved the trouble.

dex_sda has issued a correction as of 23:59 on May 15, 2020

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

klapman posted:

I know I posted angry earlier, and I have to admit when I saw the thread got updated I got super ready for a slapfight, but it was so rewarding to see the thread actually become active again. I'm pretty unemployable because I don't have health insurance and a bad case of bipolar, but the stuff I read in this thread before I realized it died was so well organized and useful that it really frustrated me to see it lose traction. Good luck to you all, and once I'm medicated and back in the workforce, I'll use everything I learn in this thread to help further the cause.

I completely understand your woes, and think that an organising thread should be a permanent cspam sticky. Same for peaceful nonobedience tactics tbh. Because gently caress it, all we got down in the dumps is each other - dumb assholes pretending better things are possible. Anyone who would get angry at you over asking for better resources for organising is no friend of mine.

And, if you need help, we got the goonfund, and I feel you can always ask for stuff. We're assholes, but we got a bit of class awareness at least. Or I like to think so...

Btw, you are not unemployable. You are a person that deserves dignity, just like every person. Never forget that. :)

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Zodium posted:

it's good to have a material example of what organization is. i mean this literally. most people, especially in management but very much the working class too, believe organization is a form of sorcery. especially in tech. say the right words, maybe even get together to say words like a ritual, and then stuff just happens. it doesn't work that way. and proposing unionization to people like that leaves them no way to connect the words to a material change of behavior. organizing needs to be learned and practiced. start simple. gaming a KPI is a good babby's first organization for tech work, it's by definition a common metric that effects everyone that's ultimately disconnected from reality.

if your customer service or tech or whatever department is drowning in tickets, you can organize your behavior collectively to make the load bearable by changing the focus from clearing all the tickets to clearing X tickets/day or whatever schedule is bearable. when managers demand more tickets cleared, you can use organization to coordinate and collectively say that's impossible: we can clear X tickets/day. if the manager wants to improve his own performance indicators, they have to deal with this. this increases your quality of worklife and forces the rest of the business to react, either by assigning more resources, reducing marketing efforts or other changes in the business. it's about identifying shared information (e.g., KPI) and needs (quality of worklife sucks if you're always overloaded) and effectuating a solution (the people who do the work discuss what is a reasonable target and reinforce that among each other).

from there, people can generalize to a union. in my experience it's often even well-received on the management side unless you go out of your way to be adversarial. i'm coming at this from a european angle so i'm not sure if i've baked in some assumptions about how likely "literally everyone is fired" is that aren't sound in america. i have to assume it's not a common occurrence since if nothing else it's a fairly expensive move, i guess.

This makes a lot of sense. :)

I'm reticent on details because of the crime thing in this situation but yes this is Europe and at least a bit safer. Problem was though that it was a sudden change because of nepotism and a lot of threats of dismissal or of moving people to lovely departments were being thrown around like candy. Slow pushback in such an emergency is difficult :(