Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
i'm talking to a good friend in the service industry (salons) in Texas, and they're trying to organize their workplace. please contact me if you can help them, and i'll put you in contact with them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

kingcobweb posted:

What kind of help do they need?

they're trying to make organize their workplace (pretty much) on their own.

but, if there are any unions in texas that represent salons, or service workers in general, that they could get in touch with, please let me know

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Optimus Subprime posted:

if i understand how salons generally work, a unique challenge they may have is that each stylist is a independent contractor/self employed worker that just rents a chair at a salon. kind of resembles the building trades like electricians where there is the ibew that represents electricians, but each electrician is hired out as a union contractor at a consistent wage depending on their skill set and experience. your friend may want to reach out to the local building trade unions and ask for advice.

the building trades also have to compete with non-unionized contract labor, possibly in a similar fashion to what organized stylists would have to deal with

from what i gather, this doesn't apply to their and their coworkers' situation. i'm probably being paranoid, but i'm not gonna say any more than that for op sec reasons. anyways, if anyone knows labor organizers in texas or knows of already-existing unions that might be able to help them out, please let me know in this thread. i can either buy private messages to get in contact with people, or you can contact me on twitter at @Tarp_Ghost

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
wonder how many of the Q anon candidates are going to win