Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Thanks for the McAlevey book rec. It's been super helpful in working in my already established workplace union :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

kingcobweb posted:

nice- what are you your key takeaways that you're putting to use?

I read Raising Hell and Raising Expectations so even the titles been helpful. Engaging with other members by talking about expectations instead of just giving them reports on whatever happened at the last meeting has raised interest and engagement.

I'm seeing first-hand how this leads into greater involvement and stuff like her big group bargaining. Members who feel engaged want to push those expectations and not just let the officers do so on their own.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Was it a thing you could have tried to bring everyone around on? Maybe convince a few key people of the ideas importance and try to get it moving from there?

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

You guys know any other good news sites for union stuff like in these times? Or twitter accounts or whatever?

It's cool that the alphabet union is going forward as open to all different workers at Google.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Buck Turgidson posted:

Attempting to organise poo poo remotely sucks. I don't know what to do about new hires. Previously it was a piece of piss to talk to newbies. Now I don't even know who the new hires are. I think I'm going to have to resort to snooping through the email address book and seeing if new names have popped up, becaues our worker directory is a piece of poo poo.
I dunno how your remote work is setup, but where I'm at I've had luck getting myself invited to zoom meetings then reaching out to new folks or non dues paying people or whoever.

Downside is I get stuck in repeat meetings and die of boredom

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

The chicago teachers union is inching towards a strike over being forced back into the classroom now. They hold tons of public zoom meetings with parents to engage with them and get their support. Check out their social media, you can catch a lot of idea about how they operate from there, too

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

That's cool as hell, congrats

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

don’t let your guard down.
It's this all the time

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Googling some poo poo about union rights re: meeting spaces and hey look all the Google results are union busting law firms :thunk:

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Hell yes!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

Got to help out on a picket line for the first time yesterday. Feels good.

Nice. Getting that boots on the ground experience was what got me really active in the union.

Unrelated downer, but goddamn they'll try every little thing:

The Verge: Amazon changed traffic light timing during union drive, county officials say. posted:

As part of its ongoing fight over an Alabama warehouse’s efforts to unionize, Amazon reportedly changed the timing of a traffic light outside the warehouse, according to reporting by More Perfect Union. Union organizers at the site had previously accused the company of altering the timing so that pro-union workers would not be able to canvass workers while stopped at the light.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

In Training posted:

that's awesome, congratulations!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Union busting lawyers and their employees are the most insufferable people imaginable

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

anyone read Secrets of a Successful Organizer? Is it decent?

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Lotta younger folks haven't had any meaningful contact with unions so it seems like it's easier for the bosses to sway them

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

That's not a hard to find viewpoint in unions with "skilled" workers or whatever you want to call it. Not the norm, but it definitely hangs around.

Anyone know other podcasts that are talking about this (in addition to the one mentioned above)?

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

apropos to nothing posted:

Jane mcalavey has an article in nation about it. very good imo and describes a lot of the problems of this campaign which I’ve seen first hand and in other places in these high profile campaigns that fail. https://t.co/S0Z0EU4O0M
Thanks for this. Gonna pick up Confessions of a Union Buster from the library tomorrow and checking out the Black Work Talk podcast (both mentioned by Jane in the article).

The hitting the pavement vs digital connecting approach also mentioned in the article is something I run into a lot talking to folks from other Locals. Lotta older folks complaining that young punks just want to text and not meet up for even bullshit over the phone etc

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Nah I just mean the idea in that article- that there was nothing done to reach workers outside the workplace - is only partially true
It sounded like the RWDSU wasn't having the Amazon workers who were trying to unionize doing any actual door knocking. Not to minimize the good and hard work you did, but I think she raises a good point that the actual workers need to be doing the same thing, too.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

apropos to nothing posted:

no they arent. fringe online weirdos are.
I was at a meeting for an alliance of different unions in the area and people would qualify their statements with stuff like "I gotta warn you, I'm a fringe far leftist..." and I'd expect some incoming hoxhaist idea and then they'd finish with "...I volunteered for Bernie before switching over to Biden"

The internet broke my brain.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Need to change the bureaucratized and legalized structure of unionism in the US... better get some people who share similar conditions and goals together and make a structure to meet these ends... :thunk:

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Listen to the no voters and all that but

lovely ny times posted:

Pay, benefits and an aggressive anti-union campaign by the company helped generate votes at a warehouse in Alabama.
Lol nytimes I feel like one of these was a much larger factor than the other 2

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

There's a lot of ways to help besides organizing or getting people on board with the union. There's a lot of documentation/paperwork that goes along with the day to day poo poo an established union does.

Even just tagging along to meetings between stewards and management to take notes can be helpful. And it's always nice to have extra members in a meeting to balance out all the dupes the boss brings along.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Dunking on the company lawyer is a top 10 good time feeling hell ya

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

That's the least challenging bingo card ever. I'd get like quadruple bingo from one meeting

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

“Setback for Unions”: Farmworkers Fought to Allow Unions Access During Breaks. Supreme Court Says No.

quote:

The Supreme Court has ruled 6 to 3 that a California labor law violated the constitutional rights of property owners by giving union organizers access to workers on privately owned farms during their work breaks. The union-busting decision strikes down a crucial part of a landmark 1975 labor law that was the United States’ first to recognize agricultural workers’ rights to collective bargaining and grew out of efforts by the United Farm Workers to demand better pay and working conditions for California’s agricultural workers. “This ruling is a setback for unions, for workers’ rights,” says Camila Chávez, executive director of the Dolores Huerta Foundation.
Supreme court bad.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Good luck Justin Credible :respek:

MrYenko posted:

gently caress federal mediators though
Also this

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

In Training posted:

we won our vote today :) onward to the contract

:hellyeah:

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

So get promoted to boss and act like boss??

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

That Confessions of a Union Buster book really shows you how lovely everyone who works for those firms are (including the insufferable guy who wrote it)

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

https://mobile.twitter.com/MylesMill/status/1422331660289421312

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

https://mobile.twitter.com/wirecutterunion/status/1425912417117147142

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

It can be helpful to try and engage him on specific local complaints he may have or be aware of. Scheduling, overtime, a jerk supervisor, poo poo like that.

Something that feels more real than the vague idea of international competitiveness.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Solidarity weight loss program

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Buncha John Deere workers going on strike.

Edit: page snype solidarity with the distillery workers, too

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Tulip posted:

Whoa, drat.

Am I just lacking context or does it feel like strikes are accelerating in frequency?

These material conditions ain't so hot

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

hey so I had to quit my job to keep my kids alive

is there any useful thing I can do like join the IWW or something?

I feel like a worthless piece of poo poo.

Ain't worthless doing that for your kids, my man.

I dunno about joining the iww, prob depends a lot on where you're at.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Anyone have any reading suggestions for getting the word out about a protest?

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

I went to a labor notes deal on forming a caucus within a local and Jesus Christ some of the stories of those old guys whove been running things since 1998

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

If anyone's interested in ways to deal with lovely leadership, check out the Chicago teaches union and how they were able to use their CORE caucus to win elections and oust the lovely folks.