Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
there's a guy in the union council district adjacent to mine who wants to file a grievance with the company because they're forcing him to work from home and he demands to work in person.

unions are a land of contrasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
hey so I had to quit my job to keep my kids alive

is there any useful thing I can do like join the IWW or something?

I feel like a worthless piece of poo poo.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

ok will look into this

if I ever become a worker again it will 100% be an organizing effort. gently caress helping capital ever again.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

oh well that is loving encouraging

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I was a council rep in my last union and it was the most infuriating bullshit I ever had to do.

but I did it because I got my rep position because nobody else wanted to do it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I'm applying for an organizer job with SEIU so I can learn to feel something other than impotent rage once more. wish me luck.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

MrYenko posted:

This. It loving SUCKED at the time (we were forced into a non-contract, enforced work rules period,) but breaking the tier structure was the best thing our union had done in its entire history.

any time tiers or "if you hired in on THIS DATE" become a part of a contract it's 100% a tactic to divide the work force. don't fall for it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

reapplied for my old union job today.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

a lot of unions staffs are organized under OPIEU.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

my brother in law and my sister are both lifetime organizers/activists and when I was looking for work and trying to do something I was passionate about, he set me up to talk to a guy who he used to work with at SEIU who would be able to get me a posted organizer job.

we talked for fifteen minutes after which he had fully convinced me that I would not want this job. he said if I was younger and didn't have a wife and kids it would be okay but they absolutely destroy organizers because they're all young and idealists that you can just abuse.

the convo entirely hosed me up.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

and also like 90% travel

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

got a job offer at my old employer and it's way easier to ask for more money when you've already seen the salary charts from the union.

fuckin pay me.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

respect this *tosses down signed union card*

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

kingcobweb posted:

I like when he offhandedly refers to the real reason that 401k's exist, which is to make people think The Stock Market is what matters to them financially.

my dad was (is) obsessed with the stock market for this very reason. he's also a huge idiot.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Lib and let die posted:

If I could take one thing I learned serving in the nonprofit-industrial complex and make it known as an absolute truth it's that non-profits don't give a poo poo about looking like hypocrites. NARAL is one of the largest, most well-known non-profits in the country and they have no problem taking openly union-busting actions. Don't for one second underestimate their willingness to stoop to the same level as a for-profit org, and expect them to use the ideology backing the org as a weapon against you and gamble that the BU's passion will outweigh their willingness to disrupt the organization and thus the clients they serve.

this is 100% what I'm seeing right now with the Seattle Art Museum strike going on right now. spot on.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

from the Seattle LAN thread:

PokeJoe posted:

Walked by a little strike at SAM today, go team

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

NLRB Justice rules because it results in very concrete actions and the company has to put up a poster that explicitly states how they hosed up and how they won't do it again (they will but it's nice that they have to eat some amount of poo poo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

blast processing my boss right in the jaw