Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Hello all! Your friendly, neighborhood union steward here.

My suggestion to you all is to learn the basics of being a union steward and represent your coworkers in disciplinary matters. Functioning in that capacity will allow you to gaze at the inner workings of organizational management power.

A basic exercise to teach your coworkers is the workplace equivalent of the legal Miranda Rights called the Weingarten Rights. This specific right emphasizes that management is not your friend, and that any meeting with them needs representation for the employees to prevent abuses by management. Anytime a member of management wants to pull an employee aside to have any discussion, employees should recite the Weingarten Rights. I made cards that I distributed to all of my coworkers with the following text:

"If this discussion could in any way lead to my being disciplined or terminated, I respectfully request that my shop steward be present at the meeting. Without representation present, I choose not to respond to any questions or statements."

A good resource for learning the ABCs of stewardship can be found here:

https://spfpa.org/online-steward-training-manual.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU