Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
capitalism is grinding us all into dust, and the best way we can fight against it is using our power that we have as workers to extract more resources and power from our employers. how do you build power in a workplace? you organize. here's a guide i wrote previously, wow look at how genius it is how i'm basically just taking the work of other people before me:

quote:

How do I organize my workplace?

First: read No Shortcuts by Jane McAlevey. It's not an instruction manual- if you go in expecting that, you'll be confused how it's supposed to be useful. It's the case for why the organizing model for unions is better than the top-down corporate campaign model, where money is spent on, for example, advertisements against the company. Anyway. Just read it. It's great. otoh it's a whole book so you don't HAVE to read a book to organize a workplace, you know, you do you

What follows is a short, hopefully accessible version of steps I learned from Seattle DSA workplace organizing committee. (If you're in Seattle: go to this! It's great!) A similar guide is here.

So your job sucks. Everyone hates it, you're all underpaid, overworked, and constantly on the verge of quitting. What you need to do is organize to build power in your workplace. How do you get started?

• Listen to people and identify the main issues. People LOVE complaining about their jobs, and if your job is bad enough, it probably won't take too much prodding. You already have your own reasons and your own things that you want to fix, but organizing at work is about finding out what everyone wants. If you talk to people in different departments, there might be an issue you didn't know about that's on everyone's mind: for example, say you work day shift, and the night shift manager is an abusive sexually harassing rear end in a top hat that makes everyone's life miserable.
  • Get your key people together. McAlevey has an important concept of the "organic leader," which is basically the person at work that everyone respects and looks up to. They're probably not in any different official role, they're just that person. Basically, if you talk to people about issues at work and they go "I dunno, what does Bella think?" and Bella is just one of your coworkers, Bella is that organic leader that you need on your side. These people also just naturally know more about what's up at work, because people trust them, so they hear more from more people.
  • Take action. This can, and should, start small- everyone signing a letter to the boss, or wearing a matching button or T-shirt on the same day. Will these initial small actions solve everything? Almost certainly not. But the goal is to build power and build solidarity. People are going to be scared shitless just of wearing that button, then they go "oh poo poo! Even Bella's wearing the button!" and they feel encouraged, proud, and powerful.
  • Escalate. Wearing a button didn't work? Have everyone march into the boss's office at the same time. Have everyone leave their shift exactly on the dot instead of working free extra minutes like you're expected to. Be creative, it's different for every workplace. Keep escalating until you get what you want.

"Wait, I thought the whole point was to get a union! Where in there is unionizing??"

Unionization is an amazing tool and an important step in organizing, but it's neither the only aspect of organizing, nor an end goal by itself. Not to make everyone here pessimistic about unions, but there have been important cases where rank-and-file workers need to fight against their union as well as the bosses to win real victories. I've been a worker at a union job where everyone was super passive and didn't really think anything about the union. That sucks! Whether you're a unionized worker or not, organizing needs to continue. It's a continuous process, not a one-time thing to win one victory and disband. If the organizing collapses, there's nothing to stop bosses from clawing back those things or making other poo poo worse.

That being said: unionizing your workplace is great. Basically, in the process of the above, "forming a union" is one of the action steps you should take. I don't want to get further into the weeds on that then necessary, but yeah, do it, ask questions if you want to and aren't sure how.
talk workplace issues/union poo poo itt.

edit:
DSA and some unions collaborated on this how-to guide (PDF link).

kingcobweb has issued a correction as of 22:57 on Jun 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

apropos to nothing posted:

when you talk to people ask them what they like about their job too. people will often be turned off if youre the person who is seen as constantly complaining and negative. asking people both what they like and what they dont like means you can frame organizing in a less nebulous way and more of a way to make work better by enhancing the positives and reducing the negatives.

along with that is be a good employee, at least to your coworkers. if you want people to listen to you and take your opinion seriously be the person who is willing to do your job well and be a good coworker. if youre seen as being lazy or unhelpful or making their job harder then people will not want to organize with you.

last thing is have one on one discussions with people about something concrete. if theres a particular grievance at your work or something going on focus on that, not a nebulous idea like "hey do you want to form a union?" if you frame it in concrete and specific terms it makes it easier to then make the case for a union by explaining how a union or any kind of organization by the workers can help win that particular demand. it also helps you identify people who might be supportive without putting your neck out if youre unsure what they think. asking people about how they feel about some policy or something and gauging their response can help tell you who would be pro union and who wouldnt be, and thats important because you dont want to out yourself to employees who could be hostile and you also dont want to motivate or mobilize coworkers who could be hostile.

this is all great advice, at DSA we had a presentation from someone who worked at UPS and organized his workplace (despite his union rather than because of it) and something he emphasized was to be a good worker, to make yourself indispensable

this does multiple things:
  • your coworkers know you're not just a complainer, you're a hard worker who wants to make things better
  • if you can help them with things at the job, they'll rely on you and learn to see you as a leader
  • it makes it way more difficult for them to fire you if you are (in UPS guy's example) one of two people at the work site authorized to pilot a forklift

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

I also work for UPS and would like to hear more about this.

I remember more about the tactics and the result than the actual issues they were organizing around, so I apologize for that. The workers in question were order picks, iirc, but might have been some other jobs. So they were putting packages on a conveyer belt and... some other things :shobon:

From what I remember, one of the issues was at breaks- that the workers had no input on when their breaks were, so they were going long times without breaks and then some people were taking breaks just barely before the end of their shift, so it barely mattered that they had the break at all

The organizer tried to go through the union to fix this, filed grievances, but nothing happened. It was a classic case of an old-school union that was clogged with bureaucracy. So what did he do? Organize! He was a good worker and people respected him in his workplace, and everyone else (even the politically conservative) were pissed off

Jobs like UPS have big advantages for people who want to organize: their massive number of rules. So his tactic was one of malicious compliance. As you probably know, UPS has a rule for order pickers to do a "six sided check" of all packages; basically making sure it's not damaged on any part of the package. So, when the manager denied them a break that they wanted to take, he would call out "six sided check" to initiate a work slowdown: all the order pickers would look at each side of every package for a second or two before putting it on the belt. Envelopes have six sides, too, of course.

At one point, his manager got so mad at this that he pushed one of the order pickers aside and started moving the packages onto the belt himself. This is, of course, a serious violation of many rules; the Teamsters would consider it non-union workers doing union work, and he was violating safety regulations in how he was doing it. So the organizer baited the manager into doing things that he could file a very serious grievance about and get that manager chewed out.

The organizer wasn't trying to make things difficult for the shift that took over after his: if the next shift started and there was a huge backlog of stuff for them to do, that shift would understandably go "wghat the gently caress" and be pissed off. So he used his workplace connections to have one-on-ones with shift leaders there and let them know about the issues and get them onboard with doing the same thing.

Eventually, the management gave in, and let them choose when to take their breaks. So the end result was that the workers would democratically choose when to go on break: if there was only an hour left of packages, but their break was scheduled, they'd take a vote of whether they wanted to work through it and get 15m paid at the end of the shift, or take a break right then. Workers who were new transfers would be absolutely blown away at how they had an actual say in how their workplace functioned.

Worker organizing gets the goods!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Squizzle posted:

lets give it a sticky for a week and see what happens

oh poo poo was not expecting this for a thread that didn't take off, thanks!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
i don't have the job any more so i don't have to be cagey about it now: i was working for the Nevada State Democratic Party and unsuccessfully tried to unionize it with Campaign Workers Guild. it wasn't many people, just 10-15 or so depending on exactly when, but it was always within 1-2 auth cards of going through.

what i learned is that until someone signs the loving card everything they say doesn't mean poo poo. there was a time that i actually thought we HAD IT until someone went back on their promise to sign on if they would have the deciding vote.

if it was just the people in Vegas it would have gone through no problem, but people up in Reno were 1/3 of the people employed by the party and i couldn't get a single one of them to sign on.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

dex_sda posted:

Question about how to approach people in my profession (comp toucher), but I guess more broadly antagonistic-to-union people. It's a question that's been bothering me - I do work for my local unionizing organizations but unionizing in my own workplace has been difficult.

You see, we had a problem with our manager. To the point people were organising lowkey meetings to talk about his bullshit.

I look at this and see soil ripe for some leftist organisation. So I suggested unionising and the response was an overwhelming 'meh' except for a few people. The prevailing opinion was that it was leftist and come on, comp touchers need no unions.

The thing is, in my country the legislation is literally just sign a document with 10 people you get all the protections, the union is formed. But even though it would have solved our problems most people were against. So how would you approach the education of those kinds of people?

it sounds like you’re approaching this with the mindset that forming a union is the only end goal. it shouldn’t be the only goal, and it’s not even an end in itself- it’s a way to get more power at work, but there’s things to do before and after

instead of talking “we need a union” with anti-union stuff, talk about actions you CAN take that would be helpful and possible. what sorts of issues are you having?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

dex_sda posted:

It's kind of back in the past - I switched jobs since - but the issues that were happening were general abuse of workers that didn't agree with the manager; a disregard for our work-life balance, and most importantly, to drive profits up, an actual order to commit a crime. Obviously I can't divulge details, but it was severe stuff.

People have set up a bunch of meetings to talk what to do about it, that went nowhere and were basically just some whining. I figured this was the best moment to suggest unionising, which in my country basically allows you to protect any union member from firing, automatically. We would then use that to push back against the idea of especially the illegal stuff, but also fight against the other problems. For instance, you can send union reps to the management to negotiate, and we'd obviously have a lot of leverage because we had documented proof the manager in question was asking us to commit a crime. HR stonewalled us, of course. The thing that struck me was that except for a couple very enthusiastic people it was met with an outright hostility, like unionising was beneath them even though they took the time to do #resistance style hidden meetings to whine.

what I would have tried to do in that situation is direct those meetings (which are already a great first step) toward action, even if people won’t get along with a union. direct people toward: “okay, what’s the best way to fix this?” would a walkout be effective? maybe a letter to the CEO? refusal to work in ways that violate rules? say that you won’t obey an order unless it’s given to you in writing to force them to have written evidence they’re ordering a crime? etc etc

while those meetings might have ended up just being an airing of grievances, those are actually a big, important step: they show that people are willing to set something up outside of work to talk about it. you just need to add actions to that structure.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Finicums Wake posted:

i'm talking to a good friend in the service industry (salons) in Texas, and they're trying to organize their workplace. please contact me if you can help them, and i'll put you in contact with them

What kind of help do they need?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
the aclu is very against the U part.

https://twitter.com/ACLUKSUnited/status/1278450717972365312

https://twitter.com/ACLUKSUnited/status/1278450721713725441

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Percelus posted:

amazon over hires and then makes workers fight everyday at 6:15 for a handful of shifts that get gobbled up in seconds, i think they do this to create animosity and division and it works

i didn't know they did that, it sounds like the old days of showing up to the docks and some guy yells out who's working that day

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

update: aclu went back on hiring the union busting law firm woooo

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
someone bumped my other, worse thread about organizing so i'm bumping this one instead.

ORGANIZE YOUR WORKPLACE. someone talk about their workplace so this isn't just me talking to myself

just read mcalevey's memoir and it was an excellent, inspiring story that also shows the weaknesses of unions like the SEIU and NNU, check it out

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
huge congrats JAY ZERO- definitely understand not being able to go into specifics, but be sure to keep this energy/organization going through the contract negotiations, and afterward. if the company knows that the workers are informed about how the contract negotiations are going and willing to take action to help, that’s really important.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
good example of an escalation when your boss doesn't voluntarily recognize your union: letter signed by 100% of the bargaining unit

also a good sign that more white-collar workers are showing up to a job that was just invented and immediately unionizing it. gives the company less of a chance to establish a non-union "culture". tell yr rich tech bro friends about unions and how they should start one as soon as a company forms a new unit

https://twitter.com/ParcastUnion/status/1305944584460144646

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Lovelyn posted:

Does anyone have experience with pushing an existing union farther left? Setting is healthcare, so think SEIU or WSNA.

check out these books:

Strike For America, about the CTU and the caucus within that union to push it to left/being more effective. this is short, like 100 pages, so you could read a pdf pretty easily

Raising Expectations and Raising Hell, memoir by McAlevey about being within the SEIU organizing health care workers

I don’t have direct experience but those books should point the way!!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

LordoftheScheisse posted:

Can you expand on this?

I'd really like my workplace to unionize, for the benefit of the front line team who has been getting shafted. Since our new C-level boss started last July, we've had low morale, constant stress, hostile work environment, etc. Problem is, I'm a supervisor. What can or can't I do?

There are some workplaces where people one rung from the bottom are in the union- for example, in the bernie campaign, field organizers and their direct managers, regional field organizers, were in the union. The only hard and fast rule is that no one can be in the union who has hiring/firing power over anyone else. At the nevada dems, the union person from Campaign Workers Guild I was in contact with, when I asked about people higher up, basically turned it around and asked "well, do y'all want them in the union? Do you see that guy as 'one of us' or as acting on behalf of the higher ups?"

But at a super early stage like you're at, you don't have to worry about the dynamic of wanting to be in the union but your employer saying that you shouldn't be allowed in it (this would happen; employers often argue for fewer people in the union, this was what the democratic party in another state was saying in response to a unionization drive that included regional field directors). You can still lay the basic ground work of organizing: getting people together, hearing each other out, taking first steps.

So what you can do is that: just get people together in a slack/discord/etc where you can all discuss stuff, and then talk about actions you can take collectively, including unionizing.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Blind Pineapple posted:

This seems like the perfect thread to ask if anyone else is trying to negotiate a contract right now and what to expect.

I helped organize my workplace last year. The vote passed overwhelmingly, but we're up against a huge company with deep pockets. They've been stalling on negotiations from the get go (like only meeting once a month), and the pandemic has only helped them stall more (while they do huge layoffs and make other unpopular workplace changes). Understandably, everyone is getting restless, especially the soft supporters that largely broke yes on the vote and we don't have a lot of reassurances at the moment.

This is probably something your union needs to escalate- NLRB filings of bad faith negotiating etc etc (which will probably go nowhere because the NLRB has trump's anti-worker appointees). What you can do is go back to those same workers you helped organize in the first place and re-organize them, basically saying "our job isn't over, we need to escalate this." Talk to your union rep about ideas, so they're not out of nowhere, but you can do things like a sign in your workplace with a running tally of days since negotiations start, wearing pro-union stickers, etc. (These "sticker-ups", as McAlevey calls them, need to be a show of force for your union, so make sure you can get 90%+ of your workplace wearing them or it'll be a show of weakness instead.) Contact your city council members, state reps, your House rep, senators, etc (let your union rep know you're doing this of course) and try to pressure the company that way.

Basically: your goal, as a worker, should be to let the company know that workers are absolutely aware of their stalling tactics, and that you're not going to take it, and you're willing to let everyone know about it.

Let us know if there's something we can help amplify on social media to pressure the company.

edit: again, McAlevey books are great sources of inspiration for what you can do in an actual workplace to help a contract negotiation.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
One more thing: unless you're non-US, you probably need to negotiate a first contract within a year of officially unionizing, so that's what the company is trying to hit.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

LordoftheScheisse posted:

I 100% do not have the power to fire, but I do conduct interviews and "make recommendations" to HR for hiring. Am I cool?

pretty sure you’re good as long as it’s not Your Decision who you’re hire, but I’m not a lawyer

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

oh HELL yeah

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
important piece about how to not get caught while organizing https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/y3md3v/how-to-organize-your-workplace-without-getting-caught

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
this serves as a good reminder that unless you have a union contract, companies can just decide to fire you at any time for any reason

https://twitter.com/bfnewsunion/status/1316409289444151304

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Tom Smykowski posted:

Thanks for the McAlevey book rec. It's been super helpful in working in my already established workplace union :cool:

nice- what are you your key takeaways that you're putting to use?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

PhilippAchtel posted:

From the Latin America thread:

So how do we address this issue? The gen strike discussion earlier this year amounted to exactly nothing because there's no organizational muscle. That's all held by the big unions. If they have no interest in flexing their power outside specified contract windows, what is to be done?

big unions are going to be exactly as radical as demanded by their members. if members don't do poo poo and just sit around until the union comes to them and tells them "hey we need you to picket" or whatever, they'll continue on as they have for decades (that is, decline).

so the answer is in two parts
  • for existing unions, use the model of the Chicago Teachers Union, whose rank and file caucus (Caucus of Rank and File Educators) was a group of active leftists and their allies who took over the union and made them do stuff.
  • this is one area where not having currently organized workplaces can be an advantage- there's no existing lackadaisical union culture to combat. if you're organizing a workplace for the first time, you're the one setting that culture. you choose what union you end up going with.
it's not going to start from the top down, because it never does. the SEIU or whatever won't suddenly become the IWW of 1910. but if there's a rank and file caucus in every city, and they connect with one another, that becomes the backbone of a true radical labor movement in the country.

it's an important part of building a new left infrastructure in the country. the good part is that it can build on top of DSA and other things, if every DSA chapter starts doing workplace organizing trainings etc.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Finicums Wake posted:

wonder how many of the Q anon candidates are going to win

going to make sense of this post being itt by saying that prop 22 is a qanon thing.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

apropos to nothing posted:

personally feel like this thread should be permanently stickied to the top of the sub forum but i also understand that its filled with valuable information, anecdotes, resources, etc. so can understand if the IKs feel like it's more important to hide it and make sure no one sees it

if it’s not stickied it gives us an excuse to continuously bump the thread. and hell I love posting

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Coatlicue posted:

Ok so I have a salient question. If my company is not US owned can I even do this?

Will the union be able to help us? I believe some of the workers have work visas and a maybe dual citizenship or are not US citizens.

Will this cause any additional hazards for me or them if I try to orgainize?

I am a US citizen, but I'd need the alliance of possible non-citizens to orgainize effectively.

ownership of the company doesn’t matter at all

non-citizens can and should be in unions, the company will try to intimidate them about their immigration status if there’s a union drive which is Very Illegal but happens anyway

think about a place like Vegas, which has a ton of service unions and workers from every country on earth

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Coatlicue posted:

So anything I can do in that case? Warn the non-citizens and document, document, document?
yes, basically you want to inoculate them against corporate propaganda. “they’ll tell you this will be bad because you’re an immigrant, but actually...” etc etc.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
huge news, Google has a union now: https://inthesetimes.com/article/google-workers-alphabet-union-cwa

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

this is, of course, good

I just don’t know what they can do, or what dues are supporting, if there’s no collective bargaining, no grievance/arbitration process, etc.

I guess you can strike? but that seems so unlikely at a company that size, so I dunno, and still: what exactly are you striking over without a contract?

I guess what I mean, as I type this: if you have something to strike over, and you do/‘vote’ to, doesn’t that essentially become collective bargaining

just thinking out loud here

yeah it’s tough. they seem to be forced into doing something like this by lovely anti-worker laws that stop contractors from collective bargaining.

if someone is an engineer making $150k, you don’t have to be an anti-union ideologue to reasonably ask “what are you gonna do for me that’s worth $1500 a year?”

it’ll really be up to the organizers CWA has on the ground, and their whole team, to show that they can do something even without a CBA.

Google had a good culture of organizing walkouts and other actions, though, so I hope that can be enhanced by CWA’s open involvement.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I know that Twitter isn’t political action but be sure to amplify them on social media, especially if you work in tech or have Googler friends

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlphabetWorkers/status/1346229430906048518

edit: oh this is a really good explainer https://collectiveaction.tech/2021/the-abcs-of-googles-new-union/

kingcobweb has issued a correction as of 00:17 on Jan 5, 2021

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

mrmcd posted:

Some of the coverage I saw today said they were going to focus on "supporting employee activism". If they aren't trying to win collective bargaining etc then it sounds like you're giving 1% of your pay for a social club that writes medium posts about how execs are shitheads in the hopes it hurts their feelings or something and the Verge gives them a high five.

Also their website said that some unspecified portion of dues are being kicked back up to CWA for "required costs". Also to "pay for swag and travel".

it makes it substantially harder to fire a worker for activism if that worker is doing their activism while in a union, especially when that union would LOVE to make a massive court case out of getting a wrongfully-terminated worker reinstated

they’re paying dues so that cwa can send professional organizers there

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

In Training posted:

updating my situation, our workplace is starting to sign cards and we have enough people indicating they'd vote yes that our unionization is likely to pass when a vote gets scheduled. this is very exciting stuff, it feels a little unreal that just months ago this was idle chatter among friends!! i can't wait to start the bargaining process and get some real protections in place...thanks again to this thread for being a great resource, and I'll keep posting once our vote is done to share the good news.

keep on fighting everybody!

hell yeah!!! super happy that the thread could provide some sort of resource

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
more fun union busting from a "progressive" organization https://inthesetimes.com/article/animal-legal-defense-fund-busting-union-labor

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
if the alphabet union is going to be so ineffective, then why is this rear end in a top hat in the wall street journal so angry about it? checkmate

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
send your prayers to Amazon warehouse workers in Alabama https://www.npr.org/2021/01/15/948819324/amazon-warehouse-workers-to-decide-whether-to-form-companys-first-u-s-union

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Dr Pepper posted:

Wanna bet they try and just shut down every single warehouse in Alabama.

that would probably cost them too much. they’ve started a slick anti-union campaign: https://www.doitwithoutdues.com/

it even has a contact form on it. how helpful!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

side_burned posted:

What are people's opinion on joining the IWW to just be in an union and have some type connection that can inform me about opportunities to volunteer and help other works to try and organize. I don't anticipate my coworkers trying unionizing anytime soon mainly because we are actually relatively compensated and moving forward my coworkers will likely be working from home even after the pandemic.

I don't have experience directly with the IWW, but it sounds like you're just looking for DSA.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

side_burned posted:

I already joined DSA.

i'm just not seeing what you want IWW to do that DSA can't do, with more membership to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
genuinely good union news: biden firing anti-worker rear end in a top hat lawyer peter robb is a victory for peter's sworn mortal enemy, champion of the people scabby the rat