Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

kingcobweb posted:

i didn't know they did that, it sounds like the old days of showing up to the docks and some guy yells out who's working that day

Thats pretty much still how the ILWU does it, or at least it was at the docks I worked at.

Also, sometimes you can avoid going through a lengthy unionizing process by simply purchasing the business from your employer and converting ir to a co-operative. Union co-ops are good too but usually not necessary. Most states have a 'Cooperative Development Center' in the region that you can contact for more information. Obviously this doesn't help of you work at Amazon, but if you work at a regio al equipment manufacturing firm owned by some boomer on the edge of retirement it is probably worth your while to explore the option and potentially make an offer before they sell to some larger firm looking to consolidate or just resite production because tax rates are marginally lower in Idaho or whatever. (Full disclosure: I work at a co-op development center.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

kingcobweb posted:

pretty sure you’re good as long as it’s not Your Decision who you’re hire, but I’m not a lawyer

Can confirm. Source: my coworker used to be the treasurer for IWW national.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

shovelbum posted:

Making people show up and throw in for jobs in person can be a surprisingly great way to handle things for a union job bc it balances doing stuff fairly by seniority with letting the young and hungry guys have something they can do (hang around constantly) to get their foot in the door

Oh for sure, I'd never have gotten any hours if it didn't work like that (didn't keep at it long enough to get my card though).

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

In arrangements like that, do the people waiting around for work get any compensation?

Free coffee. One hall has a pool table and you can you still smoke inside.

shovelbum posted:

I saw a guy take a $25000 piss at a union hall one time lol

Lmfao.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil
How many times a day do you say 'union' and what makes you say it?