Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Optimus Subprime posted:

if i understand how salons generally work, a unique challenge they may have is that each stylist is a independent contractor/self employed worker that just rents a chair at a salon. kind of resembles the building trades like electricians where there is the ibew that represents electricians, but each electrician is hired out as a union contractor at a consistent wage depending on their skill set and experience. your friend may want to reach out to the local building trade unions and ask for advice.

the building trades also have to compete with non-unionized contract labor, possibly in a similar fashion to what organized stylists would have to deal with

My mom is a stylist so I figure I'll contribute, as she's worked on the two different "ends" of the work.

For quite some time she worked in the salon area of a large department store. I can't remember exactly how pay worked since I was very young at the time. But she was paid by the department store, had some measure of benefits, etc. I'm imagining this is also how things worked for chains such as Great Clips, and I'm guessing this is the situation the friend of Finicums Wake is in.

The department store was bought out by another chain, and their benefits were cut incredibly bad, and my mom and a lot of her coworkers then went the self-employed route (taking their regular clientele with them).This is the end you're talking about - she's rented booths or stations at a number of different salons over the years, and rent is all she pays. Sometimes the owner of the space is simply a landlord, sometimes it's a fellow stylist who is also working there. She and the other renters all set their own prices, and it's not really an issue because, again, they work almost exclusively with their own clientele who are there specifically to see their particular stylist. Occasionally there's a walk-in one might take if they have the availability and the inclination, but that's it. There's not really space for unionization in this case because the owner is not employer, but that doesn't mean there's still not room for collective action. For instance, at the last salon my mom worked out of, she had made repeated requests for maintenance to be done on...something, I can't remember what. Her behavior was framed as her being "hostile" and when her lease renewal was up, she was informed by the owner (who is not a stylist, for the record) that they would not be renewing it. Almost every other stylist there made it clear that either that renewal happens, or they walk. The renewal happened. At the same time, the reality of that situation was also one of these being experienced stylists with decades of experience, established clienteles, and who were extremely reliable renters. Stylists early in their careers likely would not have had this leverage. But they did, and they used it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I was canvassing Bessemer nearly every other weekend with psl, the majority of the community supports a union but that doesn't mean it will happen. Lots of the younger workers at the Amazon warehouse were the ones who told me they were voting no. loving idiot s

The vibe I got from some older acquaintances whose children are working there is that Amazon has done a really good job buttering up the younger folks with largely meaningless benefits that don't actually confer any real value.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i mean there are all kinds of ideological reasons ms. stokes might have liked one union and not another, but i think a big clue there is a couple who appear to make a combined sum of $35 an hour had $2400 just laying around to pay for anti union propaganda. amazon can just buy whomever they want.

just exhibiting one of amazon's many benefits, imo, this one being that they'll let you wet your beak if you help them put down an attempt to unionize