Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Hirayuki posted:

It's Eblan(a), not Elban(a). There are even on-screen labels!

Thanks for this playthrough; FFIV was my first FF and is probably still my favorite, warts and all. It's what inspired me to become a translator (surprisingly, not because of the wonky translation) and sparked my dream of working for Square Enix, which did eventually come true. I'm torn now between playing my own randomized game and just playing the vanilla game through yet again; the more I see of your playthrough, though, the closer I inch to a random run. :cheers:

Vanilla FF4 is one of my favorites. It's such an odd and experimental thing at times given it was the first SNES FF game, but it's really well designed and great to play. The randomizer's a ton of fun but if you've got the itch to play the original, I say go for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Hirayuki posted:

It's Eblan(a), not Elban(a). There are even on-screen labels!

Okay, Hermione...

....but seriously, I never actually realized that. I played the ever-loving crap out of this when I was little, and I thought that's what it said, and I haven't really looked at the labels since. I'm sure there's plenty of other stuff I'm mispronouncing, too. I'm running off of "Idiot kid from 1992" dialect on this one :v:

Hirayuki posted:

Thanks for this playthrough; FFIV was my first FF and is probably still my favorite, warts and all. It's what inspired me to become a translator (surprisingly, not because of the wonky translation) and sparked my dream of working for Square Enix, which did eventually come true. I'm torn now between playing my own randomized game and just playing the vanilla game through yet again; the more I see of your playthrough, though, the closer I inch to a random run. :cheers:

That's a pretty awesome progression!

I would also recommend going for a random run. The guys working on this have pretty much created a whole new experience for this. Mind you, the plot is toast in this version, but it adds a whole bunch of new challenges to the game. We'll be exploring more of those options in later runs with this thread.

ChrisBTY posted:

Isn't Tellah the black olive in the randomizer rather than Edward?

That depends. If you find a place to get Soma Drops (a J-item), you can boost his MP that way. He's not great either way, but he's at least flexible in his usage and helpful early on if you end up with a party of physical attackers.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

PotatoManJack posted:

Just caught up on the videos. Yang's wife handing you the package was priceless.

....then the randomized package sprite being, in fact, big balls. Who knew Yang was into that (nothing wrong with it, mind you)?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

If I remember what I heard elsewhere, Bad Breath has one trick to defeat it. It attempts to lay everything on you at once. But if you have immunity to one, you have immunity to the whole attack. I think Ruby Rings prevent Piggy status right?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I looked up the effect of Cry on a Japanese wiki. The original battle message mentioned confusing the enemy, but the wiki notes that they don't seem to be Confused (with a capital C: fighting one another). A strategy guide suggests it unsettles the enemy so they're more likely to run; not only does this seem to be false, it doesn't make it easier for you to run, either. There's a theory that it temporarily lowers the enemy level, in effect, which would make them more likely to run, but since enemies don't flee when there's a big level gap between the two sides, the author suspects that the mention of getting confused/flustered may be a relic of a feature that went unused in the end. Or it's there to carry on the tradition of Fear and Scare in earlier FF titles, if in name only.

The wiki then mentions a site that took a deep dive into the SFC game's code. There they discovered that Cry slightly increases the success rate of Edge's Steal command. There's a hidden parameter used only during battle that's set to [level + 10] for each enemy at battle start. Using Cry lowers this parameter by 5 and makes Steal 5 percent more likely to succeed. (The base success rate for Steal is [(Edge's level + 50 - target's hidden parameter value) / 99].)

The kicker? There's no way for both Porom and Edge to be in the same party in old-school vanilla FFIV. :iiam:

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Hirayuki posted:

I looked up the effect of Cry on a Japanese wiki. The original battle message mentioned confusing the enemy, but the wiki notes that they don't seem to be Confused (with a capital C: fighting one another). A strategy guide suggests it unsettles the enemy so they're more likely to run; not only does this seem to be false, it doesn't make it easier for you to run, either. There's a theory that it temporarily lowers the enemy level, in effect, which would make them more likely to run, but since enemies don't flee when there's a big level gap between the two sides, the author suspects that the mention of getting confused/flustered may be a relic of a feature that went unused in the end. Or it's there to carry on the tradition of Fear and Scare in earlier FF titles, if in name only.

The wiki then mentions a site that took a deep dive into the SFC game's code. There they discovered that Cry slightly increases the success rate of Edge's Steal command. There's a hidden parameter used only during battle that's set to [level + 10] for each enemy at battle start. Using Cry lowers this parameter by 5 and makes Steal 5 percent more likely to succeed. (The base success rate for Steal is [(Edge's level + 50 - target's hidden parameter value) / 99].)

The kicker? There's no way for both Porom and Edge to be in the same party in old-school vanilla FFIV. :iiam:

Well, drat. I would think that its a leftover from the NES FF games where you could get enemies to run from you.

...which leads into a really comical ending for the original game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTOUOeec4Qc&t=4765s

Granted, its a TAS, so not something that's really feasible in real time. Still funny to consider, though.

Professor Duck fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 25, 2020

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Hirayuki posted:

:allears:

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

FeyerbrandX posted:

If I remember what I heard elsewhere, Bad Breath has one trick to defeat it. It attempts to lay everything on you at once. But if you have immunity to one, you have immunity to the whole attack. I think Ruby Rings prevent Piggy status right?

:five: Here's one WEIRD TRICK for bad breath! Molbols HATE it! :five:

...and yes, being immune to one of the conditions (confuse, toad, mini, pig, blind, silence) makes the attack miss.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

FIND ALL THE EDWARDS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfGxySgtK4Q

Excuse me being dumb in the front (nothing new there :sweatdrop:)--I forgot the fact that you get 2 key items from the underground tower, and not one from the giant. We get it figured out eventually!

We'll be finishing out our first run here next episode. Our next one will involve some kind of alternative ending criteria. That's where you come in.
We want you to vote on which criteria we select.

For our purposes here, we'll be limiting it to the big 4 objectives at the top of the page (you can see the page for yourself here: http://ff4fe.com/make
Forge the Crystal, where we need to bring the Adamant and Legend sword to the Underground. Instead of forging the Excalibur, like normak, Kokkol makes the Crystal
Giant%, where the game ends upon finishing the Giant of Bab-il
Fiends%, where the game ends upon being all of the Elementals (BOTH Milon and Milon Z, Kainazzo, Valvalis, Rubicant, & The 4 Fiends combined fight). Of course, their locations will be randomized in this....
Dark Matter Hunt, where we would need to find 30 our of 45 pieces of Dark Matter scattered in chests around the game world.

You also may vote for ONE other custom flag to include in the run. Look at the link given above for all of the options you have.

be sure to BOLD and choices, and voting will close Jan. 31st

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I think Fiends% that way we get the most of that music.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Dark Matter Hunt
Cstart:rydia

Start with Rydia. Do it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

FeyerbrandX posted:

I really can’t fault that logic.

Related note (vaguely :nws: at times) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8vz186pjY0

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

FeyerbrandX posted:

After all these years, still one of the best pieces from a FF game ever!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Fiends% with Cstart:fusoya but not his vanilla behavior. One wizard(and friends)'s quest to regain his lost spells and conquer the Fiends.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Fiends%. Does that also include the 4 fiends rematch fight?

Also, growing up, I always thought Vavalis's tornado had two large eyes staring out of the tornado, and only recently realized it was her head and shoulder that I was seeing.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Randalor posted:

Fiends%. Does that also include the 4 fiends rematch fight?

It does. There are 6 fights in total to clear it: Both forms of Milon, the rest, and all 4 together.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Randalor posted:

Also, growing up, I always thought Vavalis's tornado had two large eyes staring out of the tornado, and only recently realized it was her head and shoulder that I was seeing.

I know this is correct but i refuse to live in a world where Valvalis doesn't turn into a cartoon Tasmanian Devil whirlwind with googly eyes

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Forge the Crystal
PChests

Say his name right: Sess-ul, not Cease-ul.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

Say his name right: Sess-ul, not Cease-ul.
I mean, there was "Beanie and Cecil" where it's pronounced CEASE-uhl; it's an acceptable pronunciation. (But it's SESS-uhl per the Japanese. And RID-ee-uh.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgh59Bdckj8

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Also: You two have some of the absolute worst, most horrendous, terrible jokes in your videos.

NEVER STOP MAKING THEM! KEEP THEM COMING! :D

Hirayuki posted:

I mean, there was "Beanie and Cecil" where it's pronounced CEASE-uhl; it's an acceptable pronunciation. (But it's SESS-uhl per the Japanese. And RID-ee-uh.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgh59Bdckj8

FF4 DS straight up calls him SESS-uhl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXIlo-ExhH8&t=91s

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Kheldarn posted:

Also: You two have some of the absolute worst, most horrendous, terrible jokes in your videos.

NEVER STOP MAKING THEM! KEEP THEM COMING! :D

Us? Make bad jokes? Never! :v:

Glad you enjoy our...uh...unique sense of humor!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I won't lie, I am surprised that you didn't take three Edwards and name them Ed, Edd and Eddy.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Randalor posted:

I won't lie, I am surprised that you didn't take three Edwards and name them Ed, Edd and Eddy.

Well poo poo, I think we know our plan for the all Edward run at least.

Actually, how many characters get unlocked in a given run? That’s potentially an entire jazz bad worth of bards right there.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy posted:

Well poo poo, I think we know our plan for the all Edward run at least.

Actually, how many characters get unlocked in a given run? That’s potentially an entire jazz bad worth of bards right there.

There are 18 characters to recruit (including the first two you're given)

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Jumping on the fiends% bandwagon

Bargain bin Laden
Nov 2, 2006

See how pathetic I am?
Fiends%, Crelaxed/only:palom,porom
Twins only, Fiends %. It'll be a hoot.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Bargain bin Laden posted:

Fiends%, Crelaxed/only:palom,porom
Twins only, Fiends %. It'll be a hoot.

And potentially literally impossible depending on which spot Valvalis is in.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

ZiegeDame posted:

It seems like it's pretty easy to miss characters entirely in this mod, so is she doable realistically in a Kainless run with other characters?

Bargain bin Laden
Nov 2, 2006

See how pathetic I am?

Schwartzcough posted:

It seems like it's pretty easy to miss characters entirely in this mod, so is she doable realistically in a Kainless run with other characters?

Absolutely. I don't know the exact changes made but I've had plenty of Kainless runs with a required Valvalis.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

ZiegeDame posted:

nah you can level over her evade if need be- it's actually generally safer to keep her in the spin in certain high-physical-attack spots because her counter after being knocked out of the spin can be brutal

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Schwartzcough posted:

Physical attacks are still perfectly capable of hurting her while she's spinning, especially coming from a good fighter in the middle spot, or even Rosa using Aim. Meanwhile, most magic attacks at a reasonable level will be completely unable to penetrate her sky-high magic evade, though there are some boss spots with such low magic defense it doesn't matter. Conversely if she winds up somewhere like Cave Magnes, I'm not sure any (reasonable) amount of grinding will allow Palom to kill her.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Palom can use bows :v:

e: also nuke can crack the mdef at dark elf

neongrey fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 30, 2020

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Definitely some consideration for Dewgy and I for the upcoming run, since I can't really do all 3 optional flags (can't specify 2 starting characters, and the Twins run wouldn't really fit using any of the suggested starts). I WILL be setting a PermaDeath flag, though, so maybe that'll make up for it? :v:

Anyway, join us for THE END of run #1!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDEpMx7X-0k

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Professor Duck posted:

I WILL be setting a PermaDeath flag, though, so maybe that'll make up for it? :v:

:gonk:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
All that worry about getting Summons, and then you didn't cast a single summon the entire playthrough. Haha, you are a true MP hoarder.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Schwartzcough posted:

All that worry about getting Summons, and then you didn't cast a single summon the entire playthrough. Haha, you are a true MP hoarder.

Yep, and yep. As I thought about things more, it made more sense for most situations to just spam Virus since it has virtually no charge time. I'd be able to fire that off a bunch of time compared to a Bahamut or Leviathan, and probably do the same if not more damage with Virus.

Probably should've just stuck with Porom, all things considered. Oh, well...we survived without me TOTALLY embarrassing myself :honked:

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

I wonder if Kary isn’t some bizarre abbreviation for Valkyrie. Would actually make some sort of sense.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Oberndorf posted:

I wonder if Kary isn’t some bizarre abbreviation for Valkyrie. Would actually make some sort of sense.
I believe it was actually a mistranslation of Kali from Hindu mythology. The connection is more explicit with FF1, where the boss of that name has multiple pairs of arms and weapons to match. FF9 also has the similar concept of the many-armed Maliris (?) which references the marilith from AD&D 2E, I guess because they didn't want the mythology connection to be too obvious? It's just a game of telephone because AD&D was in turn referencing Hindu mythology.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

NGDBSS posted:

I believe it was actually a mistranslation of Kali from Hindu mythology. The connection is more explicit with FF1, where the boss of that name has multiple pairs of arms and weapons to match. FF9 also has the similar concept of the many-armed Maliris (?) which references the marilith from AD&D 2E, I guess because they didn't want the mythology connection to be too obvious? It's just a game of telephone because AD&D was in turn referencing Hindu mythology.

Well, mistranslation is certainly not outside the realm of possibility here, given the slew of other things that fall into that camp. It's as good a theory as any!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Professor Duck posted:

Yep, and yep. As I thought about things more, it made more sense for most situations to just spam Virus since it has virtually no charge time. I'd be able to fire that off a bunch of time compared to a Bahamut or Leviathan, and probably do the same if not more damage with Virus.

Probably should've just stuck with Porom, all things considered. Oh, well...we survived without me TOTALLY embarrassing myself :honked:

Bio has a base power of 128. Megaflare has a base Spell Power of 480.

Bio has a cast time of "0", while Megaflare has a cast time of "3." So I think it comes roughly to you can get three Bio casts in one Megaflare cast, so effectively 384 Spell Power. Which is 100 less than Megaflare. Unless Rydia is doing 3,333 or more damage per Bio than Megaflare is superior DPS. Granted, Bio is better than pretty much every other summon in terms of ST damage, but that's not what most summons are for.

Bio is kind of busted, unless you're hitting a weakness it's better DPS than the -ga spells.

Of course, if Rydia knows Flare then you've got a 400 Spell Power instant cast spell. Which handily beats out Megaflare.