Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
That Balnab joke was funnier than it had any right to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Dr Pepper posted:

Bio has a base power of 128. Megaflare has a base Spell Power of 480.

Bio has a cast time of "0", while Megaflare has a cast time of "3." So I think it comes roughly to you can get three Bio casts in one Megaflare cast, so effectively 384 Spell Power. Which is 100 less than Megaflare. Unless Rydia is doing 3,333 or more damage per Bio than Megaflare is superior DPS. Granted, Bio is better than pretty much every other summon in terms of ST damage, but that's not what most summons are for.

Bio is kind of busted, unless you're hitting a weakness it's better DPS than the -ga spells.

Of course, if Rydia knows Flare then you've got a 400 Spell Power instant cast spell. Which handily beats out Megaflare.

But there were so many multi-enemy sloggy fights at the end, plinking away with basic attacks for five rounds. I was begging for a summon every now and then.

Not to say it wasn't a fun run! But yeah, you completely missed any Cecils, Rosa, or Fusoyas. A darn shame.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Schwartzcough posted:

But there were so many multi-enemy sloggy fights at the end, plinking away with basic attacks for five rounds. I was begging for a summon every now and then.

Not to say it wasn't a fun run! But yeah, you completely missed any Cecils, Rosa, or Fusoyas. A darn shame.

I mean, yeah that's true, I was speaking strictly Single Target.

Professor Duck is far too conservative with his MP imo.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dr Pepper posted:

I mean, yeah that's true, I was speaking strictly Single Target.

Professor Duck is far too conservative with his MP imo.

FINE ILL NUKE EVERYTHING :argh:

....but not this episode, since we already recorded it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4232VefXf4

Leroy Dennui posted:

That Balnab joke was funnier than it had any right to be.

We get a few good ones in now and again, even if they shouldn't be funny. The episode we just did has quite a few of those :v:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I’m really liking the boss variety we’ve gotten so far, but I can’t deny I’m worried at how bad scaling is gonna screw us later on. Worried/excited, whatever. :ohdear:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Dewgy posted:

I’m really liking the boss variety we’ve gotten so far, but I can’t deny I’m worried at how bad scaling is gonna screw us later on. Worried/excited, whatever. :ohdear:

Well of course you're excited. You're not playing, so you get more opportunities to make fun of Professor Duck!

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Kheldarn posted:

Well of course you're excited. You're not playing, so you get more opportunities to make fun of Professor Duck!

After all, isn't that why we're all here?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kheldarn posted:

It’s comeuppance for me having to do LaGrange Point. :haw:

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Dewgy posted:

It’s comeuppance for me having to do LaGrange Point. :haw:

At least this is FUN. That.....was just painful

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

image title says it all

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

FeyerbrandX posted:

image title says it all

Well, he certainly DID hit that...

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

FeyerbrandX posted:

image title says it all

I like how this means the jealous Cid girlfriend also has a beefy Trogdor arm.

Hell, if the real one had that maybe we’d have kept him around.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Cid actually has pretty high attack power, his problem is that he is slow as molasses on a glacier in January and doesn't have any weapon access in the second half of the game so eventually others outpace him. Also, you have two Edges and a Cecil with a Crystal Sword so there's not much room for another physical attacker.

Cid Pollendina is badass; he jumps out of an airship as it's ascending through a volcano, triggers a bomb around himself to collapse the volcano so that enemies can't chase the party, then gets up and walks himself to the dwarven castle so he can sleep off the explosion and giant pile of rocks he was buried in in a comfy bed.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Zurai posted:

Cid actually has pretty high attack power, his problem is that he is slow as molasses on a glacier in January and doesn't have any weapon access in the second half of the game so eventually others outpace him. Also, you have two Edges and a Cecil with a Crystal Sword so there's not much room for another physical attacker.

Cid Pollendina is badass; he jumps out of an airship as it's ascending through a volcano, triggers a bomb around himself to collapse the volcano so that enemies can't chase the party, then gets up and walks himself to the dwarven castle so he can sleep off the explosion and giant pile of rocks he was buried in in a comfy bed.

Sadly, none of those things happen in this version :v:

Anyway, here's the next episode in our Fiends Hunt!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix0q7aa2v8U

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Do you chose your starting character, or is it randomized as well? Because I can't wait for the run where you get all Cids except for one Edward :allears:

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Randalor posted:

Do you chose your starting character, or is it randomized as well? Because I can't wait for the run where you get all Cids except for one Edward :allears:

Either. This run, I set a flag so that FuSoYa was the starting character. You can specify or leave it to chance. However, the rest of the characters....well, I have a tendency to end up with a lot of Cids on runs I do off-camera.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

How did you fail to notice that Cecil didn't have a helmet equipped? I kept expecting you two to eventually cotton on but it didn't come up until the middle of the Dark Elf fight.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

NGDBSS posted:

How did you fail to notice that Cecil didn't have a helmet equipped? I kept expecting you two to eventually cotton on but it didn't come up until the middle of the Dark Elf fight.

:eng101: We're quite good at doing stupid things! It's why we named our channel what we did

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

NGDBSS posted:

we good game at play thing and do quipment :downs:

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Still not using MP.

Could of ended some of those fights MUCH faster with some Meteo.

:colbert:

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

I'm not sure about that. Meteo has a horribly slow cast time. Nuke is faster on single targets, and Bahamut is faster on multiple targets. Shame about the lack of summoner this time around.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Weeble posted:

Still not using MP.

Could of ended some of those fights MUCH faster with some Meteo.

:colbert:

I queued up Meteo a couple of times, I'm pretty sure--the battle was over before it fired off.

Nuke and Virus have really short casting times, so expect to see more of that going forward.

Oberndorf posted:

Shame about the lack of summoner this time around.

It's the fun and challenge of it all. I'm tempted to go almost no mages since I have a butt-ton of Edges and Cecil w/ his best equipment.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Yes, I got your Milon's Secret Castle joke. :golfclap:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

NGDBSS posted:

I believe it was actually a mistranslation of Kali from Hindu mythology. The connection is more explicit with FF1, where the boss of that name has multiple pairs of arms and weapons to match. FF9 also has the similar concept of the many-armed Maliris (?) which references the marilith from AD&D 2E, I guess because they didn't want the mythology connection to be too obvious? It's just a game of telephone because AD&D was in turn referencing Hindu mythology.

In the case of the Fiend from FFI, it was indeed Kary, though the Japanese name is Marilith Japanese-ified (because FFI is AD&D with the serial numbers filed off). I'm not sure why they went with that name in II/IV, though it was probably as a reference to the FFI version and because that enemy's name doesn't truncate well. Its Japanese name translates to Goddess of the Moon. The GBA translation went with Selene Guardian, and I'm not sure what the PSP and DS/mobile/PC ones went with.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

AngryRobotsInc posted:

In the case of the Fiend from FFI, it was indeed Kary, though the Japanese name is Marilith Japanese-ified (because FFI is AD&D with the serial numbers filed off). I'm not sure why they went with that name in II/IV, though it was probably as a reference to the FFI version and because that enemy's name doesn't truncate well. Its Japanese name translates to Goddess of the Moon. The GBA translation went with Selene Guardian, and I'm not sure what the PSP and DS/mobile/PC ones went with.

So, par for the course for translation in the early '90s, it seems? That's interesting, though. Thanks for the research!

...and to follow that up, here's some more futility on our part! :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmFbXbeu_k4

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I'm just now starting to watch the second run, and an answer to another thing, yes, the fight in Mist has an HP value set. I believe it's around 60,000 or so. The fight with Dark Knight on Mount Ordeals also has an HP value set, though I can't recall what value it's set at. The scripting on both fights is so tight though, that you're unlikely to ever do enough damage to outrun it, without cheating.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

The fight before Rubicante is the King and Queen Eblan fight in vanilla FF4.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It's showtime, Synergy!

Someone needs to draw Cecil selling the Diamond Shield, plundering it, and reselling it. And a travel poster for the Baron Inn.

Also, I'd like a mod for this game with all sound effects done by Dewgy.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kheldarn posted:

It's showtime, Synergy!

Someone needs to draw Cecil selling the Diamond Shield, plundering it, and reselling it. And a travel poster for the Baron Inn.

This feels like a long lost subplot from 8-bit Theater. All we need is a wall of text and we're set!

quote:

You've got me curious about how hard this would actually be to do. I know you can pretty easily take SNES sound files and punch them into a DAW, but not sure how you'd go the other way around.

Hmmmm.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Jade Rider posted:

The fight before Rubicante is the King and Queen Eblan fight in vanilla FF4.

Ah, yes. Edge needs to get good and well pissed off to learn new spells. Thanks for the reminder!

Kheldarn posted:

It's showtime, Synergy!

I'd like to see those drawings, too. I always enjoyed the art that would be generated by threads, it'd be great to get that going here. Sadly, my artistic skills are all music-related, so I can't really contribute :smith:

Kheldarn posted:

:magical:

Wrong game, dude...

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Professor Duck posted:

I'd like to see those drawings, too. I always enjoyed the art that would be generated by threads, it'd be great to get that going here. Sadly, my artistic skills are all music-related, so I can't really contribute :smith:

Drawings, hell. We need a playthrough with a pink Rydia named Jem as the first character.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

DGM_2 posted:

Drawings, hell. We need a playthrough with a pink Rydia named Jem as the first character.

I don't think I can specify starting colors, sadly.

...but I can give you this awesome finale to our Fiends% run! :bubblewoop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU9iDUCvsPM

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

So, with Run #2 in the books, we're going to move to another Alternate Win Scenario: The Dark Matter Hunt!

In this, there are 45 chests populated around the game world with Dark Matter in them. In order to finish the flag, we have to find 30 of them and take them to Kory in Agart to finish the objective.

What we need from you guys is the following:

1.) Another objective (see list below for options)
and
2.) One optional other flag to add (see the list here)

The other alternate objective list is pretty long. Here's the list, boiled down to simpler terms (see the link above to see everything spelled out for you)
-Find a specific character
-Defeat a specific boss (i.e. Defeat the Mist Dragon, Defeat Golbez, etc.)
-Finish specific dungeons (i.e. Defeat the boss of the Mist Cave, Liberate Baron Castle, etc.)
-Complete specific plot moments (i.e. destroy Mist, Use the SandRuby, etc.)
OR if you're feeling indecisive, you can vote for the seed to randomly generate objectives from this list!

Note that "defeat the mist dragon" and "defeat the boss of the Mist cave" will most likely end up being two different thing because of the randomization.

Votes in BOLD, please. We'll take the top 5 vote getters. Voting closes at noon EDT on the 15th!

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Professor Duck posted:

I don't think I can specify starting colors, sadly.

You're playing this on an emulator, right? Just keep restarting and fast-forwarding until the first character is revealed until you get the one you want, then save-state for the start of the video. Am I right to assume there are no more than 5 versions of each character (enough for a full party)? With fast-forward it shouldn't take too long.

quote:

...but I can give you this awesome finale to our Fiends% run! :bubblewoop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU9iDUCvsPM

That'll do for now. :)

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Last Arm is a direct 'translation' of the Japanese name, Rasutoaamu. Though why it's called that, I couldn't say.

Also, Randomized goals seems the most fitting when you're also hunting randomly placed items.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 13, 2020

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

DGM_2 posted:

You're playing this on an emulator, right? Just keep restarting and fast-forwarding until the first character is revealed until you get the one you want, then save-state for the start of the video.

It's determined per seed, so it'd involve creating a whole new seed every time.

quote:

Am I right to assume there are no more than 5 versions of each character (enough for a full party)?

Oh no there's way more than that.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Last Arm is a direct 'translation' of the Japanese name, Rasutoaamu. Though why it's called that, I couldn't say.

Also, Randomized goals seems the most fitting when you're also hunting randomly placed items.

Fair enough

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

AngryRobotsInc posted:

"Arm" as in "weapon" maybe?

I thought it was meant to be "Last Alarm" but I guess not.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

MarquiseMindfang posted:

"Arm" as in "weapon" maybe?

I thought it was meant to be "Last Alarm" but I guess not.

That would make sense, yeah, so that's likely it.

The thing with a lot of Final Fantasy enemy names, at least early on (as I haven't played anything past IV in Japanese) is most of the enemy names are not so much Japanese, as they are English or another language shoved into how Japanese works (and written with katakana). I remember really only one enemy from the first game that's name is a Japanese word(s) (shinigami), though there are likely a few others. It can sometimes be tricky to figure out what they were going for, or they get censored for Nintendo of America reasons(a lot of names with Blood or Bloody were changed for the NES release of FFI).

Or to avoid lawsuits from the IP holder of AD&D.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Professor Duck posted:

1.) Another objective (see list below for options)
and
2.) One optional other flag to add (see the list here)

1. Random objective
2. Uh, Vintage battlefields. (P.S. you link isn't working; I had to use the one from the OP).