Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Schwartzcough posted:

1. Random objective
2. Uh, Vintage battlefields. (P.S. you link isn't working; I had to use the one from the OP).

oh, boy...that might be painful to watch! :v:

Also, for some reason, linking to the "make" page with https on borks the link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

neongrey posted:

It's determined per seed, so it'd involve creating a whole new seed every time.

Yeah, I finally checked out the site. I hadn't realized a whole new ROM had to be generated for each seed.

So basically, the only way to guarantee pink Rydia would be to overwrite Rydia's sprite data with a hex editor, right? Sounds doable - especially since the LPers have already found a seed in which Jem exists - but not necessarily trivial.

EDIT - Correction: you'd lift Jem's sprite data from the old ROM with the hex editor, copy it to the appropriate file type and flash it to the new ROM through the emulator, right?

You can tell this isn't my wheelhouse.

DGM_2 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 15, 2020

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

DGM_2 posted:

Yeah, I finally checked out the site. I hadn't realized a whole new ROM had to be generated for each seed.

So basically, the only way to guarantee pink Rydia would be to overwrite Rydia's sprite data with a hex editor, right? Sounds doable - especially since the LPers have already found a seed in which Jem exists - but not necessarily trivial.

EDIT - Correction: you'd lift Jem's sprite data from the old ROM with the hex editor, copy it to the appropriate file type and flash it to the new ROM through the emulator, right?

You can tell this isn't my wheelhouse.

Well, you got lucky--we found one REALLY close.

...and when I say "REALLY close", you'll have to watch to found out why its not exact!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_DUbPF1dGo

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

More I know way too much about FFIV notes for this episode:

1) Ramuh was translated as Indra for whatever reason in the original English release.

2) Dark Matter does absolutely nothing in the original versions, and is just for bragging rights pretty much. In the 3D remake, it unlocks a super boss on NG+.

3) There are about six or so chests still in the Watery Pass. Three in a hidden passage behind a waterfall in the room where you recruit a character, and a few past the large waterfall to the boss. You can get to the 'past the waterfall' ones from the entrance where you fight the boss, by heading down and making your way back to where the waterfall would drop you off on the normal way to the boss. Probably won't matter, but easy place to check later if you need to scrounge up more Dark Matters.

4) This is for later, and might be blindingly obvious with the April Fools setting, but for when you get to Eblan, that chest you couldn't remember how to get. There's a secret passage when you're standing riiiiight in the doorway coming up into that room, and you can go to the right and get it.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Y'all don't know Indra? That's it. Game Over. You're no longer allowed to play FF4. :colbert:

Time to move on to FF6: Worlds Collide.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Kheldarn posted:

Y'all don't know Indra? That's it. Game Over. You're no longer allowed to play FF4. :colbert:

:smithfrog:

:hmmyes:

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

AngryRobotsInc posted:

More I know way too much about FFIV notes for this episode:

1) Ramuh was translated as Indra for whatever reason in the original English release.

2) Dark Matter does absolutely nothing in the original versions, and is just for bragging rights pretty much. In the 3D remake, it unlocks a super boss on NG+.

3) There are about six or so chests still in the Watery Pass. Three in a hidden passage behind a waterfall in the room where you recruit a character, and a few past the large waterfall to the boss. You can get to the 'past the waterfall' ones from the entrance where you fight the boss, by heading down and making your way back to where the waterfall would drop you off on the normal way to the boss. Probably won't matter, but easy place to check later if you need to scrounge up more Dark Matters.

4) This is for later, and might be blindingly obvious with the April Fools setting, but for when you get to Eblan, that chest you couldn't remember how to get. There's a secret passage when you're standing riiiiight in the doorway coming up into that room, and you can go to the right and get it.

Hopefully I don't need to scrounge for them, but I will keep those in mind!

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

Time to move on to FF6: Worlds Collide.
Skipping right over FF5 Career Day? For shame!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

MagusofStars posted:

Well, 5 is a Bad Game*, so...

*Except during Fiesta Time

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kheldarn posted:

Well, 5 is a Bad Game*, so...

*Except during Fiesta Time

FF5 is one of my favorites though... though I did first play it as a fan translated version when it was more or less completely new.

Was such a fascinating thing to play a game in English that wasn’t supposed to be. Also, rad soundtrack.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
5 was the only one I felt was actually enhanced on the GBA port. That localization was fantastic.

We don't talk about the PSX version

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

We don't talk about the PSX version

Arrrr! :yarr:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
...what did I JUST say?

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

MagusofStars posted:

It's on my to do do list of FFV Fanhacks. I've currently just started Ancient Cave. I probably wouldn't do Career Day until I've done one more fanhack between "randomizers" to space them out, but we'll see.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Professor Duck posted:

Well, you got lucky--we found one REALLY close.

...and when I say "REALLY close", you'll have to watch to found out why its not exact!

Wow. 8-bit Jem is... amazing.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

DGM_2 posted:

Wow. 8-bit Jem is... amazing.

Isn't it? :shittydog:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I'm still catching up and am on the last video of the previous Fiends run. I noticed a couple sparklies in the Tower of Bab-il after defeating the Antlion/Rubicant and as soon as you arrive in the Giant; could those have been Fiends? I don't think they would be, but then again, those sparklies have only ever been boss-level enemies, right?

Tower:

Giant:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Hirayuki posted:

I'm still catching up and am on the last video of the previous Fiends run. I noticed a couple sparklies in the Tower of Bab-il after defeating the Antlion/Rubicant and as soon as you arrive in the Giant; could those have been Fiends? I don't think they would be, but then again, those sparklies have only ever been boss-level enemies, right?

Tower:

Giant:

If I remember right, those sparklies are only there in Free Enterprise, and are return points for what are otherwise points of no return.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Dewgy posted:

If I remember right, those sparklies are only there in Free Enterprise, and are return points for what are otherwise points of no return.
Ah, cool! Thanks. I didn't think there was anything there in the vanilla game.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The Japanese wiki with all that inside info on Cry has this to say:

quote:

Despite rumors that stealing Dark Matter would reduce the damage dealt by Big Bang, in practice Stealing any number of Dark Matters has absolutely no effect on Big Bang's power. Big Bang's magic attack count (which is not displayed) starts out at 10, but if it [Big Bang?] is used immediately after a counter Flare, the count drops to 6. Hence the fluctuations in Big Bang's damage. [Stealing Dark Matter] is essential for specialized playthroughs, like a low-level clear.
[snip]
Even though possession of Dark Matter has nothing to do with it, there are situations where Stealing can effectively reduce Big Bang's damage, which only kept the rumor alive and spread it further. Because performing the Steal action triggers a counter attack, and because Big Bang's magic attack count goes down in tandem with the counter's attack count, what's important is not the Dark Matter itself but rather Stealing (+ the counter attack).
[but what looks like another editor notes:]
Since you can steal Dark Matter from Zeromus before using the crystal, triggering the counter attack is also irrelevant.
I love how complicated this old-rear end game is. :allears:

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 18, 2020

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Indeed. Thankfully, no one else is the same.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Hirayuki posted:

I love how complicated this old-rear end game is. :allears:

That's pretty ridiculous, actually. Always fun to learn new things about old favorites!

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

DGM_2 posted:

Indeed. Thankfully, no one else is the same.

Truly. However it's a good thing almost no one else is unique...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZNrEPA1fXg

Let's just say the episode title is incredibly apt...

Professor Duck fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 23, 2020

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Really we should have seen this coming.

All of it.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
Wow. Jem's behavior at the end was outrageous. Truly, tr- okay, I'll stop now.

But seriously, imagine Jem's mental state after that Golbez fight. You're a little girl in a world full of big, scary things trying to kill you, and all your friends - all the people who've been keeping you alive - have just been slaughtered right in front of you. You're alone, vulnerable and terrified. In desperation, you can only turn to a group of complete strangers and hope they're not even worse than the monsters you fight...

...And you're still not desperate enough to go anywhere with Edward.

loving beautiful.

DGM_2 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 23, 2020

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

DGM_2 posted:

Wow. Jem's behavior at the end was outrageous. Truly, tr- okay, I'll stop now.

But seriously, imagine Jem's mental state after that Golbez fight. You're a little girl in a world full of big, scary things trying to kill you, and all your friends - all the people who've been keeping you alive - have just been slaughtered right in front of you. You're alone, vulnerable and terrified. In desperation, you can only turn to a group of complete strangers and hope they're not even worse than the monsters you fight...

...And you're still not desperate enough to go anywhere with Edward.

loving beautiful.

A group of people that look almost exactly like the ones that were just killed, no less.

No wonder she drank wine and went berserk :v:

...and we'll be seeing enough Edward for one lifetime soon enough, so he's not getting any more stage time then he deserves.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Professor Duck posted:

A group of people that look almost exactly like the ones that were just killed, no less.

No, she's just using Synergy's hologram tech to make them LOOK like her old friends. She's still in denial about what happened and everyone's too afraid of her nuking them with Bahamut to stand up to her.

quote:

No wonder she drank wine and went berserk :v:

I doubt going through all of puberty in 2.5 seconds flat did much for her stability, either.

Poor girl. You really could write this run as a horror story from her POV.

quote:

...and we'll be seeing enough Edward for one lifetime soon enough, so he's not getting any more stage time then he deserves.

Can you actually force 5 Edwards?

DGM_2 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 23, 2020

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Probably. And depending on if you found even a single item that grants reflect, they would have been perfectly safe in that Golbez fight (honest question, how many fights would you be able to cheese just by hiding everyone except one person who's reflected?)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

DGM_2 posted:

Can you actually force 5 Edwards?

I think we can force every single character in the game to be Edward, so that and then some.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Randalor posted:

Probably. And depending on if you found even a single item that grants reflect, they would have been perfectly safe in that Golbez fight (honest question, how many fights would you be able to cheese just by hiding everyone except one person who's reflected?)

The problem is that Reflect runs out, and I believe StarVeils are reflectable, so you need to wait until it runs out before reapplying. If you do go for it anyway, I think untransformed Milon is maybe possible, if very slow. The Eblan king and queen only use fire spells, so they're doable, not that it's needed unless you turn of the free boss flag. Bahamut is doable, obviously. I believe all other bosses have access to either physical attacks or non-reflectable magic.

I think Count is reflectable and affects bosses, so Plague should be doable, but I've never heard of reflect being used against Plague, so I'm guessing there's something I'm missing. Either that or I've just discovered a new anti-Plague strat?

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Procrastine posted:

The problem is that Reflect runs out, and I believe StarVeils are reflectable, so you need to wait until it runs out before reapplying. If you do go for it anyway, I think untransformed Milon is maybe possible, if very slow. The Eblan king and queen only use fire spells, so they're doable, not that it's needed unless you turn of the free boss flag. Bahamut is doable, obviously. I believe all other bosses have access to either physical attacks or non-reflectable magic.

I think Count is reflectable and affects bosses, so Plague should be doable, but I've never heard of reflect being used against Plague, so I'm guessing there's something I'm missing. Either that or I've just discovered a new anti-Plague strat?

I'm pretty sure reflect is the SOP for the Plague fight, in order to save one person and keep fighting. I DID run into a weird situation in a way earlier version of Free Enterprise where I had characters berserked and walled after being afflicted with count and they stayed alive even after the counter hit zero. It was strange. I think that was perserved on w different Free Enterprise playlist that's on our channel. I'd have to look, or maybe Dewgy could confirm

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Reflect can also glitch you past bosses with form changes, like Mom Bomb or Elements. If the killing blow to a form is made by reflecting magic onto it, it bypasses the script to change forms. Only works on the SNES version.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Professor Duck posted:

I'm pretty sure reflect is the SOP for the Plague fight, in order to save one person and keep fighting. I DID run into a weird situation in a way earlier version of Free Enterprise where I had characters berserked and walled after being afflicted with count and they stayed alive even after the counter hit zero. It was strange. I think that was perserved on w different Free Enterprise playlist that's on our channel. I'd have to look, or maybe Dewgy could confirm

I checked every guide I could find linked on the Free Enterprise site and found no mentions of using Reflect on Plague. Clearly, there was only one thing I could do.

Plague was kind enough to show up on Mt. Ordeals rather than hidden on the moon somewhere.

Confirming that Count is indeed reflectable.

Plague doesn't get a counter, since monsters aren't expected to get this status usually.

And Count does in fact kill Plague. The counter seems a little weird regarding monster speed vs character speed, since he reached 0 while everyone else is at 5, but there you go. You learn something new every day, I guess.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Reflect can also glitch you past bosses with form changes, like Mom Bomb or Elements. If the killing blow to a form is made by reflecting magic onto it, it bypasses the script to change forms. Only works on the SNES version.

This also includes the second half of Zeromus!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Professor Duck posted:

Found it, right at the start here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kefbdo8Q6NY

They’re so angry they cannot die. They cannot move. They cannot eat. They cannot sleep. They can just barely growl. Bound so tightly with tension and anger, they approach the state of rigor mortis.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 23, 2020

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Procrastine posted:

This also includes the second half of Zeromus!
Like many SNES games, the maximum number for health is hard-capped at 65,536 because of the way the numbers are recorded. To get around this cap, Z has an invisible health refill that's automatically triggered when he takes any damage once his health gets below ~25%. There's no obvious indication this happens, so from the player's perspective, it looks like Z has 100,000+ HP. But since what's actually happening is that the health refill is triggered by damage, if your only source of damage is reflected spells, you skip the entire triggered health refill and have much less health to chunk through.

This is most notable if you have a party heavy on spell-casters. Once you start getting close to the refill zone, you have your physical characters stop doing damage and simply go on potion/revival duty, while your mages finish Z off with reflected Nuke/White/Virus so you skip the health refill. If your party is mostly physical attackers, you *can* still avoid the refill, but tbh, it's often less hassle to just keep them berserked (ideally via the Avenger Sword glitch, otherwise with item/spell) even if the refill means it lengthens the fight a little.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Is SYLP reflectable? Otherwise that's single-target summon damage.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
It is not.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Sylph's damage is pretty crappy though.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Raitzeno posted:

Sylph's damage is pretty crappy though.

'Tis.

...sorry, don't have much in the way of energy right now. Getting sick, but have to post our latest update. Its, at least, a bit of redemption for the supremely idiotic things I did last episode :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGFe8qTQD8o

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
The thumbnail I grabbed for this one almost feels like it’d work better for part 2, though maybe it’s better that I commemorate the time when we got lasered in the face a bunch and didn’t lose. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I'm very proud of you for overcoming your MP-use aversion.