Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

In Edward's defence (and now I feel sick), in the base game, once you get the lamia harp his usefulness goes up quite a bit. I don't think there are any enemies immune to confusion when you have him in your party (except bosses), and lamia harp seemed to inflict it fairly reliably last time I played through the game. I'm not sure how many enemies can be confused after he leaves the party, but he can at least remove an enemy or two from the fight as threats until the party has chewed through the rest of the enemies.

I mean, that's it unless you're looking at FFIV Advance where they gave him the ridiculously powerful Apollo Harp for the endgame, but eh, that was a... questionable port as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Randalor posted:

In Edward's defence (and now I feel sick),

As you should :colbert:

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
Hang on, did you have a unihorn in your inventory at the end of your previous video? If so, you could have saved yourself by curing Jem's berserk status!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

DGM_2 posted:

Hang on, did you have a unihorn in your inventory at the end of your previous video? If so, you could have saved yourself by curing Jem's berserk status!

Heh, I enjoyed that myself. "Cures confusion, berserk, etc. Not useful! Trash" right after getting a party wipe under an uncurable Berserk. In general though, it's still not very useful.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Schwartzcough posted:

Heh, I enjoyed that myself. "Cures confusion, berserk, etc. Not useful! Trash" right after getting a party wipe under an uncurable Berserk. In general though, it's still not very useful.

We never claimed we were good at this. :haw:

But I do like that the Bacchus is obviously wine. Rydia’s an angry drunk.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

YANG'S WIFE... Is a Woman! with a 'HOOK'

DGM_2 posted:

No, it came from a chest in this video. I noticed it and wonder WTF it was supposed to be, then remembered it's Unicorn Horn.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Schwartzcough posted:

Well, now that I've (re)learned my lesson about Bacchus only being usable on the person selecting it, I shouldn't need it.

.....right? :mmmhmm:

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Professor Duck posted:

Well, now that I've (re)learned my lesson about Bacchus only being usable on the person selecting it, I shouldn't need it.

.....right? :mmmhmm:

If you find another way to screw yourself that could have been prevented by something you casually threw away, I will quote this back at you MERCILESSLY.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

DGM_2 posted:

If you find another way to screw yourself that could have been prevented by something you casually threw away, I will quote this back at you MERCILESSLY.

Well, at that point I would most likely deserve it. My hope is that I'll actually remember with all of the insanely long work days I have while we wrap this run and start the last one.

We shall see, however.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

After sickness delays, the final piece(s) of the puzzle are complete! Here is the finale for run #3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhOrwxbZsB8

So, since we're now down to....THE run...the run after which our thread is named, we have one last vote for any readers out there:
What flags do we add to our run?

Keep in mind that only Edward is available here, so any character flags would be pretty much wasted. Put any requests in [b]BOLD[b/], and everything is open (except for alternate win states--we're going to finish the game the "right" way this time)

Professor Duck fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 7, 2020

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
I suppose -noadamants and no -spoon would be gratuitously cruel?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Hobologist posted:

I suppose -noadamants and no -spoon would be gratuitously cruel?

Seconding these flags. I thought the cruelty was the point?

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

SFree because I want to see at least one Edward with 9999 HP. :v:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I'd like to just say we likely wouldn't go with no-spoon (Duck has the final say on this tho) because we were planning on spoon duping, for maximum spoonage.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

That was a pretty magical ending to that last run.

Professor Duck posted:

So, since we're not down to....THE run...the run after which our thread is named, we have one last vote for any readers out there:
What flags do we add to our run?

I think that should be "now down to".

Boy, there are some mean flags in there. I'll just go with -kit:basic and -noadamants.

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Schwartzcough posted:

That was a pretty magical ending to that last run.

I think that should be "now down to".

Boy, there are some mean flags in there. I'll just go with -kit:basic and -noadamants.

Yeah--typo on my part.

Also, this run sounds like its going to be a little problematic with all the flags you're giving me :gonk:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I can't seem to pull up the list of flags, so consider yourself lucky.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Randalor posted:

I can't seem to pull up the list of flags, so consider yourself lucky.

http://ff4fe.com/make

They should be there.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

ksummon, kunsafe, cpermadeader, sfree -noadamants

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

So, I managed to work in everyone's flags (except I forgot the basic starting kit....sorry :sweatdrop:), but....uh....I don't think this goes like some of you had hoped :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLmthyhuL8E

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I feel like the RNG took mercy on us after that real kick in the dick of a first key item.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Well, that sure was, uh... something... :stare:

Also, you should have named them Inky, Pinky, Blinky, Clyde, and Stinky.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

I'm surprised you didn't name one of them Neo, because there is no spoon.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

400 GP for an Inn Stay? Gee, it's a shame you don't know a Prince pretending to be a Bard who owns a Castle with a Free Healing Pot...

Also, this runthrough has me convinced that Free Enterprise needs to borrow some options from Worlds Collide.

XP and GP Earned Modifiers
Randomly Equipable Gear (i.e. who can equip each item is randomized each time. This time, Dark Cecil can equip Whips and Robes. Next time, Edward can equip Swords and Dark Knight Gear, etc.)
Random Abilities For Characters (i.e. Rosa gets Edge's Ninja Magic instead of Aim or Pray, Cid gets Call instead of Peep, etc.)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

Also, you should have named them Inky, Pinky, Blinky, Clyde, and Stinky.
I was half expecting Ed, Edd, n Eddy.

Thank goodness the J items are in the mix!

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Kheldarn posted:

Randomly Equipable Gear (i.e. who can equip each item is randomized each time. This time, Dark Cecil can equip Whips and Robes. Next time, Edward can equip Swords and Dark Knight Gear, etc.)
Random Abilities For Characters (i.e. Rosa gets Edge's Ninja Magic instead of Aim or Pray, Cid gets Call instead of Peep, etc.)

These would be amazing!

Kheldarn posted:

400 GP for an Inn Stay? Gee, it's a shame you don't know a Prince pretending to be a Bard who owns a Castle with a Free Healing Pot...

Like I need the money for anything else? :v:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Several minutes of furious tapping, also known as fapping later.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Why is starting with the spoon bad? With that flag on isn't it an ultimate weapon?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The video links to Parts 3 and 4 of Run 3 in the OP are broken.

Bruceski posted:

Why is starting with the spoon bad? With that flag on isn't it an ultimate weapon?

The -spoon flag isn't enabled, so Eddie can't equip it.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Why are you cluttering up your inventory with single-status curing items when Heal potions solve all of them? :argh:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wait, kamikaze was sold in a shop. I demand you resolve every boss fight going forward with mass exploding Edwards. Sure, you may lose some from permadeath, but that's why you have a pile of backup bards just waiting to hide behind the pile ofmdead bards.

Edit: I guess what I'm saying is, this FF IV style.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Mar 9, 2020

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Professor Duck posted:

These would be amazing!

Feel free to suggest it to the devs if you use Discord

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

I started a similar All-Edwards seed for S&G (only with Adamants and equippable Spoon), and the Baron item shop immediately breaks it wide open.

E: Troia's armor shop had Crystal Rings and Tomra's armor shop had Adamant Armors. I picked up 5 Artemis Bows from some other weapon shop too. Welp.

Raitzeno fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 9, 2020

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
That’s beautiful. :allears:

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

I had to try a 5 Edward run, with adamants and spoon but I promised not to use them unless a fight was actually hard. It's not soooo bad Edward's actually pretty fast, so until the Summoner Cave/Sylph Cave and beyond when enemies have more HP it's quite manageable. I think the 5 Cid challenge would actually be worse because they're all so slow. Also, I left this mod's default quintuple XP on, and it looks like I'll have level 99 Edwards by the time I'm done.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Yeaaaah, free, randomized shop items looks like it really destroys all challenge.

Remind me what the Pass does in this version, again?

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

The pass teleports you to the final boss.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeaaaah, free, randomized shop items looks like it really destroys all challenge.

Remind me what the Pass does in this version, again?

Eh, other than the free gold apples and elixers, most of what they bought could be bankrolled from one Crystal Sword sale. This just cut down on us having to sit through them grinding.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Randalor posted:

Eh, other than the free gold apples and elixers, most of what they bought could be bankrolled from one Crystal Sword sale. This just cut down on us having to sit through them grinding.

Heh, but the Free Golden Apples and Elixirs are kind of a big deal. And to be fair they haven't gotten amazing weapons from the shops, but the boost to survivability is huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Duck
Sep 28, 2018

Curling Injury

Gotta say that it's kinda awesome you guys are trying this for yourself!