Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Oberndorf posted:

I wonder if Kary isn’t some bizarre abbreviation for Valkyrie. Would actually make some sort of sense.
I believe it was actually a mistranslation of Kali from Hindu mythology. The connection is more explicit with FF1, where the boss of that name has multiple pairs of arms and weapons to match. FF9 also has the similar concept of the many-armed Maliris (?) which references the marilith from AD&D 2E, I guess because they didn't want the mythology connection to be too obvious? It's just a game of telephone because AD&D was in turn referencing Hindu mythology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

How did you fail to notice that Cecil didn't have a helmet equipped? I kept expecting you two to eventually cotton on but it didn't come up until the middle of the Dark Elf fight.