Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

NGDBSS posted:

I believe it was actually a mistranslation of Kali from Hindu mythology. The connection is more explicit with FF1, where the boss of that name has multiple pairs of arms and weapons to match. FF9 also has the similar concept of the many-armed Maliris (?) which references the marilith from AD&D 2E, I guess because they didn't want the mythology connection to be too obvious? It's just a game of telephone because AD&D was in turn referencing Hindu mythology.

In the case of the Fiend from FFI, it was indeed Kary, though the Japanese name is Marilith Japanese-ified (because FFI is AD&D with the serial numbers filed off). I'm not sure why they went with that name in II/IV, though it was probably as a reference to the FFI version and because that enemy's name doesn't truncate well. Its Japanese name translates to Goddess of the Moon. The GBA translation went with Selene Guardian, and I'm not sure what the PSP and DS/mobile/PC ones went with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I'm just now starting to watch the second run, and an answer to another thing, yes, the fight in Mist has an HP value set. I believe it's around 60,000 or so. The fight with Dark Knight on Mount Ordeals also has an HP value set, though I can't recall what value it's set at. The scripting on both fights is so tight though, that you're unlikely to ever do enough damage to outrun it, without cheating.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Last Arm is a direct 'translation' of the Japanese name, Rasutoaamu. Though why it's called that, I couldn't say.

Also, Randomized goals seems the most fitting when you're also hunting randomly placed items.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 13, 2020

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

MarquiseMindfang posted:

"Arm" as in "weapon" maybe?

I thought it was meant to be "Last Alarm" but I guess not.

That would make sense, yeah, so that's likely it.

The thing with a lot of Final Fantasy enemy names, at least early on (as I haven't played anything past IV in Japanese) is most of the enemy names are not so much Japanese, as they are English or another language shoved into how Japanese works (and written with katakana). I remember really only one enemy from the first game that's name is a Japanese word(s) (shinigami), though there are likely a few others. It can sometimes be tricky to figure out what they were going for, or they get censored for Nintendo of America reasons(a lot of names with Blood or Bloody were changed for the NES release of FFI).

Or to avoid lawsuits from the IP holder of AD&D.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 15, 2020

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

More I know way too much about FFIV notes for this episode:

1) Ramuh was translated as Indra for whatever reason in the original English release.

2) Dark Matter does absolutely nothing in the original versions, and is just for bragging rights pretty much. In the 3D remake, it unlocks a super boss on NG+.

3) There are about six or so chests still in the Watery Pass. Three in a hidden passage behind a waterfall in the room where you recruit a character, and a few past the large waterfall to the boss. You can get to the 'past the waterfall' ones from the entrance where you fight the boss, by heading down and making your way back to where the waterfall would drop you off on the normal way to the boss. Probably won't matter, but easy place to check later if you need to scrounge up more Dark Matters.

4) This is for later, and might be blindingly obvious with the April Fools setting, but for when you get to Eblan, that chest you couldn't remember how to get. There's a secret passage when you're standing riiiiight in the doorway coming up into that room, and you can go to the right and get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Reflect can also glitch you past bosses with form changes, like Mom Bomb or Elements. If the killing blow to a form is made by reflecting magic onto it, it bypasses the script to change forms. Only works on the SNES version.