Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
This has been a really fun mod to see evolve over time too. We’ve been doing trial runs of this for a while now, and they keep improving the site, the options, and the randomizer itself to stop no-win states and the like. It’s such a good concept and really well done, puts a ton of replay value into FF4’s world and systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

You know, if this was the GBA version an all Edward team wouldn't be bad at all. His high end weapons got absurd. I'm excited to see what all you're gonna do

From what I understand, Edward’s stat scaling just straight up breaks around level 70, and he’s extremely OP. Takes a bunch of grinding, sure, but you gotta have dedication if you want to start a superband.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
True to form, I can’t find my drat iPad stylus, so the drawing will have to wait a bit. It’s gonna be...something. :v:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Weeble posted:

First couple minutes of the video and you find a shiny Gardevoir.

Nice.

Y’know, I thought that color scheme looked familiar!

Our high rate of ultra weapons this run is definitely something new, too. We had a ton of dry runs for good weapons, so we can keep the momentum going this time. :D

Also, as promised: Choco-Bono.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Professor Duck posted:

WHO'S GOT BIG BALLS?!

Yang's wife, apparently....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFpbySvHj_c

But I thought we had the biggest balls of them all... :negative:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Hirayuki posted:

It's Eblan(a), not Elban(a). There are even on-screen labels!

Thanks for this playthrough; FFIV was my first FF and is probably still my favorite, warts and all. It's what inspired me to become a translator (surprisingly, not because of the wonky translation) and sparked my dream of working for Square Enix, which did eventually come true. I'm torn now between playing my own randomized game and just playing the vanilla game through yet again; the more I see of your playthrough, though, the closer I inch to a random run. :cheers:

Vanilla FF4 is one of my favorites. It's such an odd and experimental thing at times given it was the first SNES FF game, but it's really well designed and great to play. The randomizer's a ton of fun but if you've got the itch to play the original, I say go for it!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Hirayuki posted:

The kicker? There's no way for both Porom and Edge to be in the same party in old-school vanilla FFIV. :iiam:

:allears:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

FeyerbrandX posted:

I think Fiends% that way we get the most of that music.

I really can’t fault that logic.

Related note (vaguely :nws: at times) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8vz186pjY0

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Randalor posted:

I won't lie, I am surprised that you didn't take three Edwards and name them Ed, Edd and Eddy.

Well poo poo, I think we know our plan for the all Edward run at least.

Actually, how many characters get unlocked in a given run? That’s potentially an entire jazz bad worth of bards right there.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Professor Duck posted:

I WILL be setting a PermaDeath flag, though, so maybe that'll make up for it? :v:

:gonk:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I’m really liking the boss variety we’ve gotten so far, but I can’t deny I’m worried at how bad scaling is gonna screw us later on. Worried/excited, whatever. :ohdear:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kheldarn posted:

Well of course you're excited. You're not playing, so you get more opportunities to make fun of Professor Duck!

It’s comeuppance for me having to do LaGrange Point. :haw:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

FeyerbrandX posted:

image title says it all

I like how this means the jealous Cid girlfriend also has a beefy Trogdor arm.

Hell, if the real one had that maybe we’d have kept him around.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

NGDBSS posted:

How did you fail to notice that Cecil didn't have a helmet equipped? I kept expecting you two to eventually cotton on but it didn't come up until the middle of the Dark Elf fight.

we good game at play thing and do quipment :downs:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kheldarn posted:

It's showtime, Synergy!

Someone needs to draw Cecil selling the Diamond Shield, plundering it, and reselling it. And a travel poster for the Baron Inn.

This feels like a long lost subplot from 8-bit Theater. All we need is a wall of text and we're set!

quote:

Also, I'd like a mod for this game with all sound effects done by Dewgy.

You've got me curious about how hard this would actually be to do. I know you can pretty easily take SNES sound files and punch them into a DAW, but not sure how you'd go the other way around.

Hmmmm.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kheldarn posted:

Well, 5 is a Bad Game*, so...

*Except during Fiesta Time

FF5 is one of my favorites though... though I did first play it as a fan translated version when it was more or less completely new.

Was such a fascinating thing to play a game in English that wasn’t supposed to be. Also, rad soundtrack.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

We don't talk about the PSX version

Arrrr! :yarr:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Hirayuki posted:

I'm still catching up and am on the last video of the previous Fiends run. I noticed a couple sparklies in the Tower of Bab-il after defeating the Antlion/Rubicant and as soon as you arrive in the Giant; could those have been Fiends? I don't think they would be, but then again, those sparklies have only ever been boss-level enemies, right?

Tower:

Giant:

If I remember right, those sparklies are only there in Free Enterprise, and are return points for what are otherwise points of no return.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Really we should have seen this coming.

All of it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

DGM_2 posted:

Can you actually force 5 Edwards?

I think we can force every single character in the game to be Edward, so that and then some.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Professor Duck posted:

I'm pretty sure reflect is the SOP for the Plague fight, in order to save one person and keep fighting. I DID run into a weird situation in a way earlier version of Free Enterprise where I had characters berserked and walled after being afflicted with count and they stayed alive even after the counter hit zero. It was strange. I think that was perserved on w different Free Enterprise playlist that's on our channel. I'd have to look, or maybe Dewgy could confirm

Found it, right at the start here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kefbdo8Q6NY

They’re so angry they cannot die. They cannot move. They cannot eat. They cannot sleep. They can just barely growl. Bound so tightly with tension and anger, they approach the state of rigor mortis.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 23, 2020

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
The thumbnail I grabbed for this one almost feels like it’d work better for part 2, though maybe it’s better that I commemorate the time when we got lasered in the face a bunch and didn’t lose. :v:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Schwartzcough posted:

Heh, I enjoyed that myself. "Cures confusion, berserk, etc. Not useful! Trash" right after getting a party wipe under an uncurable Berserk. In general though, it's still not very useful.

We never claimed we were good at this. :haw:

But I do like that the Bacchus is obviously wine. Rydia’s an angry drunk.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I'd like to just say we likely wouldn't go with no-spoon (Duck has the final say on this tho) because we were planning on spoon duping, for maximum spoonage.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I feel like the RNG took mercy on us after that real kick in the dick of a first key item.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
That’s beautiful. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kheldarn posted:

Well that was an... interesting run... :thunk:

It really wasn’t the mind grinding spectacle we were hoping for admittedly. :v: