Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

quote:

Ranma ½ (Japanese: らんま 1/2, Hepburn: Ranma Nibun-no-Ichi, pronounced Ranma One-Half) is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Rumiko Takahashi. It was serialized in Weekly Shōnen Sunday from August 1987 to March 1996, with the chapters collected into 38 tankōbon volumes by Shogakukan. The story revolves around a teenage boy named Ranma Saotome who has trained in martial arts since early childhood. As a result of an accident during a training journey, he is cursed to become a girl when splashed with cold water, while hot water changes him back into a boy. Throughout the series Ranma seeks out a way to rid himself of his curse, while his friends, enemies and many fiancées constantly hinder and interfere.

But Ranma is more than that. For a lot of people in the English or Spanish speaking world, it's a First Anime/Manga in the realm of Sailor Moon or Dragonball.

Sometimes it's a shoujo romance series. Sometimes it's a harem comedy. Sometimes it's a shounen martial arts drama. For trans weebs it's Egg: The Series, despite Takahashi's oldness seeping through it.

You have almost certainly seen or read Ranma. You have probably posted about which boy/girl is the best or what arc you like the most.

And you can post about it again drat it.

Tl;Dr Ranma owns here's a thread why not

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014
Ranma while funny never seemed to have any character development or actual continuous plot out of the self contained stories. I'd recommend buying the blu ray ovas/movies that Viz media released. I also loved Megumi Hayashibara's voice, did you know she was/is a singer? Those are my thoughts on Ranma 1/2 however scattershot they might be.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I believe she does songs for the Ranma anime in point of fact.

I didn't come to the show version until much later though, only seeing bits and pieces when I was older whereas I read the entire manga when I was a kid.

And incidentally if you haven't read the manga You should be aware that like the back third of it never made it to the anime, including some of the best arcs.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Ranma was extremely my poo poo in the 90s. It made me crave okonomiyaki for nearly a decade before I finally had some. Ukyo best girl.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

As a kid I also believed that but now I realize best girl is Ranma

E: I speak for all trans women I think when I say that I too wish there was a magic Chinese spring I could jump in and become a tiny stacked redhead

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i believe every weeb has their own Rumiko Takahashi series, and for me it's absolutely Ranma 1/2

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Rody One Half posted:

As a kid I also believed that but now I realize best girl is Ranma

E: I speak for all trans women I think when I say that I too wish there was a magic Chinese spring I could jump in and become a tiny stacked redhead

This raises a good point, does it ever get addressed why Ranma's hair color changes as well?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It originally didn't, early on in the manga girl Ranma also has black hair, as you can see in the original volume covers. This changed at some point, probably to match the anime.

E: fan interpretation generally holds that since Nodoka's own hair is red, although much darker, Ranko is just what Ranma would look like if born female anyway

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 11, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yapapa yapapa

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I once met a guy who said this was his favourite manga

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Ranma 1/2 was so important to me, I first read it as a little straight girl who was shocked by seeing boobies...in a comic!!!! And now I'm a nonbinary lesbian so like, definitely something was awakened. I definitely wouldn't say it's my favorite, but it was a big one for me when I was younger.

I went back and read it as an adult a few years ago, and got... most of the way through. It's a loving beast of a series, but it's silly and fun and also horny in a silly way as well. It's worth a read if you've never read it, or only read it as a teen or whatever, especially if you like 90s manga art.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

big dyke energy posted:

Ranma 1/2 was so important to me, I first read it as a little straight girl who was shocked by seeing boobies...in a comic!!!!

same but the anime

it's kinda funny to think about how the show was mainstream enough to get aired alongside pokemon back in the day, but aired today would probably get decried as that creepy anime stuff

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It was my first manga and I picked volume 10 of it up off the library shelf after seeing the first movie advertised in front of my Disney tapes for years. When I got home I opened it up and was very surprised when the first thing that happened was a cat jumped into a bathtub and came out as a naked lady.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rody One Half posted:

But Ranma is more than that. For a lot of people in the English or Spanish speaking world, it's a First Anime/Manga in the realm of Sailor Moon or Dragonball.

It was my first anime, before DBZ even. I forget what me watch it in the first place, but I remember downloading these hilariously low resolution episodes and watching them on RealPlayer in the 90s. I remember the episodes I watched were English dubbed.

Best Ranma OP - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeR1FleDTIA

Best ED is 1, which is also extremely nostalgic.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ranma was the first manga I ever bought the physical volumes of, the original viz first editions that were super heavy stock and really nice quality, but also like 20-25 bucks per volume in 1999-2001 money, which with inflation accounted for is 30ish bucks a book. had to scrounge allowance and do odd jobs in middle school to earn the scratch to get them all. And then by volume 21 they switched to a smaller, cheaper quality, which was a big ol' bummer for my OCD
(gis image)

definitely remember seeing a thing in blockbuster with episodes I had somehow missed(might've been an OVA) and getting my dad to rent them, and he asked to see what this show I was watching was all about, and it was of course an episode with shampoo just being naked all over the place in it which promptly resulted in confiscation because Breasts Are Bad

it's a damned funny martial arts comedy series and I really wish they'd remake the anime and just do the whole drat series animated this time instead of stopping at...iirc when his mom first shows up? It's been a long-rear end time since I've seen it.

also while looking for episode info, I love the absolutely inane information recorded on the ranma wiki;

quote:

Ryoga Hibiki

Also known as
P-chan, by Ranma and Akane
Moron, Jerk, Pork butt, Pig-Boy, Fiancé, Brother, Young Master by Ranma
Charlotte, by Azusa Shiratori
Ryoga-chan, by Akari
Joe, by Anna
Stupid Piggy, by Taro
Jackass, Idiot, Sugar, by Ukyo

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Worklurker posted:

I also loved Megumi Hayashibara's voice, did you know she was/is a singer?

If an anime had an american release in the 90s/early 00s, there was a solid 50% chance she sung it.

Captain Invictus posted:

ranma was the first manga I ever bought the physical volumes of, the original viz first editions that were super heavy stock and really nice quality, but also like 20-25 bucks per volume in 1999-2001 money, which with inflation accounted for is 30ish bucks a book. had to scrounge allowance and do odd jobs in middle school to earn the scratch to get them all. And then by volume 21 they switched to a smaller, cheaper quality, which was a big ol' bummer for my OCD
(gis image)

Dark Horse did the same with Ah! My Goddess, and did a weird 19/20 volume for that too. really drove me nuts as well. I think they both were tied into them no longer flipping the dialog and art to left to right and went to the normal Japanese right to left.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I miss Ranma-quality dubs and translations, where the song lyrics largely kept their meaning from the Japanese but also managed to rhyme. Also a local network aired their own version of a Ranma dub and it was bad even though they were clearly reading the Viz translation.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Ranma, Dragon Ball and Saint Seiya were my favorite anime when I was a child. I think Chile got the uncensored version of the LatAm dub too?

Haven't watched anything Ranma related since I was like 10 though.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Never a bad time to reread Ranma

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Dude I loving loved Ranma. I grew up watching it in spanish. Did a bit of a rewatch and the first season at least definitely holds up. Its just really funny

k4kk01
May 6, 2013

I gotta rewatch this. Ranma was... just really good. The training episodes, the fights, everything. The fandom consumed my life for at least a year.
Here's hoping Ryoga gets therapy sometime post-canon.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
This anime made me trans.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Julias posted:

This raises a good point, does it ever get addressed why Ranma's hair color changes as well?

I always assumed the springs cursed you to turn into specifically whoever drowned in them, and the drowned girl was red-haired. If you threw someone else in it, they'd turn into the same red-haired girl.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
A friend of mine in high school had a bootleg dvd of what I assume was a season but equally could have been a collection of random episodes which he let me borrow and ended up being one of my first not Dragon Ball Z anime. Even though it's been over a decade since I saw it I remember it fondly.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Elfface posted:

I always assumed the springs cursed you to turn into specifically whoever drowned in them, and the drowned girl was red-haired. If you threw someone else in it, they'd turn into the same red-haired girl.

Canonically untrue, demonstrated by Herb, and the Musk Dynasty's whole origins really.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Also they should get the OG dub crew (Sarah Strange, not the replacement) to dub the OVA that came out a few years ago. That really made me wanna see an adaptation of the later stories with that quality.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I watched this a long time ago but one of my favorite jokes that has stuck with me was Ranma's dad demonstrating the "Wounded Tiger" defensive technique by getting down on his hands and knees and going, "I'm sorry! I'm sorry!"

I'm a sucker for all things Rumiko Takahashi, her goofball sense of humor hits my funny bone squarely.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Wow I used to be super into this series, and a big fan of Rumiko Takahashi in general. I'm not so interested in Ranma 1/2 now because I feel it hasn't aged well, but I can still remember it with fondness.

Rody One Half posted:

Canonically untrue, demonstrated by Herb, and the Musk Dynasty's whole origins really.

Then again, Herb threw a monkey in the Spring of Drowned Woman that turned into a girl very similar to Ranma. It's really unclear how the cursed springs actually worked. Things are muddied even further by the existence of the Spring of Drowned Akane which actually does produce exact duplicates. (yes I'm spoilering a series that ended almost 25 years ago because there might be some fans in this thread who only watched the anime and wouldn't want the manga spoiled)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Joestar secret technique was originally the ultimate Saotome technique (run away, think of a new plan, ambush).

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
One thing I liked about Ranma was how episodic it was compared to a lot of modern stuff. There is some character building that gets carried over into future stories but the stories mainly rely on basic recurring traits. And there are a ton of great stories! So the question I want to put forward is: what's your favorites? I'll start with mine:

The first one that always comes to my mind when I think of Ranma is the French Cuisine arc. The silly juxtaposition of the elegance of french cuisine combined with the body horror-esque martial art techniques always gets a laugh, and the way the final fight ends is simple but satisfying.

The second one I like to re-read is the Fake Ranma arc, where a impersonator tries to get Ranma's mom to give him old martial art scrolls. What I like about it is how the two martial art styles it introduces are thematic opposites; you have the loud, brute force style vs the silent sneaky style and the final reveal of what the two styles actually are (Different robbery techniques) is a great twist that ties everything together.

The last of my favorite stories is the Herb arc; the concept of humans with animal traits is cool (even if their backstory is :chloe:) and it's a team-up arc.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Idk what my favorite arc is but of late I've been thinking about Am I Pretty, the anime-only story where Ranma gets concussed and this happens

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
There's probably Ranma fanfiction I wrote back in High School floating around on the web.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

There's Ranma fanfiction I wrote in December floating around the web.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's funny that I feel I'd have a better chance of finding the older fanfiction than I would the newer.

What are the youth of the world using in 2020? Xanga in VR???:corsair:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Shinjobi posted:

It's funny that I feel I'd have a better chance of finding the older fanfiction than I would the newer.

What are the youth of the world using in 2020? Xanga in VR???:corsair:

archive of our own, fanfiction.net, and wattpad, in roughly descending order of popularity (wattpad is huge for real person fanfic but not so much for fiction-related stuff)

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

FF.net has the collection but the infrastructure has basically not changed in 20 years, so AO3 is eclipsing it because of more quality of life functions for both readers and writers.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

My two favorite ones back in 1997 were the Ranma/DBZ one where Trunks helps them fight Dr. Gero, and the love story one where Ranma and Akane learn to express their feelings and then later on Ryoga and Ukyo get together.

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
I always thought her hair was just red because it looks good in an anime. In the manga her hair is brown.

Also red hair indicates that girl Ranma has a fiery personality.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

This was pretty much my first anime. I think some video game magazine did an article about it and it sounded so great I had to check it out. Whatever meager pay I got from my part-time job in high school would go toward the VHS tapes which were $30 for only two dubbed episodes. Subs cost even more but Ranma’s dub was one of the first that really held its own especially for the time. The cast had a lot of western cartoon vets and there was definitely a lot more effort put into the scripts and direction than a lot of dubs that had come before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
There is a lot of Ranma. My partner and I watched it all sometime in the early 2010s. The first season or two of the anime were really fun and had a lot of great moments, which kind of sunk-costed us into watching the rest of it. By the end we just felt defeated. I was sad that it kept focusing on annoying novelty characters and neglecting a lot of its cast.