Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Most Embarrassing Loss of the Divisional Round
This poll is closed.
Kirk Cousins, lol 20 10.15%
Lamar's MVP gets run over 61 30.96%
The Texans play the greatest quarter of football 107 54.31%
<Tom Hanks Voice> WILSON 9 4.57%
Total: 197 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Man in charge of his own firing says he will not be fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Bill o Brien is a communist hero

cpranger
Nov 6, 2009

I want you to take out Big Bird's knees.
Just heard an interview with Matthew Coller. He said that if Saints had beaten the Vikings, ownership had decided to fire Zimmer and not extend Cousins. Now, they were so impressed by the win that they're definitely going to extend Cousins and give Zimmer another shot.

That's three jobs that Sean Payton's ineptitude saved.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

cpranger posted:

Just heard an interview with Matthew Coller. He said that if Saints had beaten the Vikings, ownership had decided to fire Zimmer and not extend Cousins. Now, they were so impressed by the win that they're definitely going to extend Cousins and give Zimmer another shot.

He’s playing the long con.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

Shadow225 posted:

If you have no vested rooting interest, I think that this playoff season may be the most entertaining in the last 20 years overall.
Maybe longer, I haven't watched that long.

There is at least some variety.

San Francisco: won 5 superbowls, last win in 1994, last appearance 2012.
Green Bay: won 4 superbowls, last win in 2010, last appearance 2010.
Kansas City: won 1 superbowl, last win 1969, last appearance 1969 (!).
Tennessee: never won a superbowl, last appearance 1999.

So yeah, last winner from the final four was 10 years ago, last appearance was 8 years ago. We're finally free of the Ben-Peyton-Tom(-Flacco?) curse.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I have a vested interest in one of the remaining teams, but honestly I'm okay with any of them winning if it can't be the Packers.

My biggest preference would be a Chiefs/Mahomes/Reid Super Bowl win. A close 2nd would be Tannehill getting a ring simply because that would own. But I respect the heck out of this particular 49ers team. I think they've been really impressive all year.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

cpranger posted:

I'm fine with Zimmer staying but please god do not extend cousins.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Very bad day for Houston sports teams

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Owns.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

OxySnake posted:

I'm fine with Zimmer staying but please god do not extend cousins.

Cousins has given Minnesota a very Cousins-like performance, which is what they brought him in for. Turns out that a Cousins-like performance simply isn't enough, especially with the team being questionable in other areas. Cousins still has a year under contract, and I wouldn't mind maybe giving him one more year to serve as a sort of bridge, but I feel that overall the search for a replacement should begin now. The Vikings would probably be a better team with a young passer and Cousins' cap hit put towards other needs.

He doesn't need to be replaced right this second, he will continue giving them mediocre to good performances, but they should really have a hard think about whether winning a super bowl is really possible with Cousins and where they might want to go after they move on

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I hear Jeff Luhnow is available.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

surf rock posted:

Patrick Mahomes before the game, probably:

You know they say all men are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Deshaun Watson and you can see that statement is NOT TRUE! See, normally if you go one-on-one with another team you got a fifty/fifty chance of winning. But I'm a genetic freak, and I'm not normal! So you got a 25 percent at best at beat me! And then you add Bill O'Brien to the mix? You-the chances of winning drastically go down. See, an away game at Arrowhead, you got a 33 and a third chance of winning. But I, I got a 66 and two thirds chance of winning, 'cuz Bill O'Brien KNOOOOOOWS he can't beat me, and he's not even gonna try. So, Deshaun Watson, you take your thirty three and a third chance minus my twenty five percent chance (if we was to go one on one) and you got an eight and a third chance of winning at Arrowhead. But then you take my 75 percent chance of winning (if we was to go one on one), and then add 66 and two-thirds percent, I got a 141 2/3 chance of winning at Arrowhead! Señor Watson? The numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you at Arrowhead!

Cool you gonna do one for after the game where he calculates how much they want to gently caress?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Finger Prince posted:

Cool you gonna do one for after the game where he calculates how much they want to gently caress?

ahem that's for my own personal files

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Play posted:

Cousins has given Minnesota a very Cousins-like performance, which is what they brought him in for. Turns out that a Cousins-like performance simply isn't enough, especially with the team being questionable in other areas. Cousins still has a year under contract, and I wouldn't mind maybe giving him one more year to serve as a sort of bridge, but I feel that overall the search for a replacement should begin now. The Vikings would probably be a better team with a young passer and Cousins' cap hit put towards other needs.

He doesn't need to be replaced right this second, he will continue giving them mediocre to good performances, but they should really have a hard think about whether winning a super bowl is really possible with Cousins and where they might want to go after they move on

Minnesota has the same problem that every team has with a mid-tier QB, it takes a lot of loving capital to move up to get a good guy in the draft so you either try and build a great team around your average QB or trade it all for a chance at a great QB.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

:same: both should have gone in before cowher or johnson imo but RINGZ (in the case of coryell anyway, poo poo, flores has the rings even)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Play posted:

Very few QBs could survive the onslaught of SF against a line as bad as Minnesota's. I wouldn't be surprised if Mahomes looked bad in that position. You need a guy like Russell or Lamar if your o line is that bad.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

Minnesota has the same problem that every team has with a mid-tier QB, it takes a lot of loving capital to move up to get a good guy in the draft so you either try and build a great team around your average QB or trade it all for a chance at a great QB.

Yeah they might have to get creative, but it's not like decent QBs can't be found outside of the first round occasionally, or through free agency. Look at the Titans, I would take Tannehill over Cousins and probably would have even before his comeback.

Hell Cousins himself is one such mid-round QB, it's just that he's no longer as worth it because he's getting paid like a superstar

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Hopefully the Packers learned some lessons from the last time they played SF. I think it'll be closer than last time.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Leon Einstein posted:

Hopefully the Packers learned some lessons from the last time they played SF. I think it'll be closer than last time.

Only gonna lose by 16 this time.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Why is Bill Cowher even worthy of being in the Hall of Fame? Longetivity? Stubbornness? I don't recall him being any kind of great innovator.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You can win a Super Bowl with Kirk Cousins, but you have to have a very good offensive line and also be lucky enough to get through 3-4 playoff rounds without facing a dominant defensive front 7. Like if the Vikings had been able to draw the Packers and Seahawks last weekend and next, they could have won. But a team with Cousins can't beat the 49ers, or any team with that level of line of scrimmage whoop-rear end.

Most quarterbacks who aren't Russell Wilson play much worse when you harass and hit them (pressuring the opposing QB is important, who knew??) but Cousins is something else entirely. He has every skill a QB needs, except that he has NO sense of timing, feel for the rush, etc. whatsoever and panics as soon as anyone gets remotely near him.

Having Cousins on your team means it's never going to be bad unless your o-line is bad, you'll always win like 8-10 games because half the teams you play don't have a good pass rush and Cousins will roast you if you don't pressure him. But it also means any team you play that has a top-notch pass rush is going to beat you pretty much 100% of the time. He's a top ten QB in the league right now and it's not easy to find a QB as good as him overall, but with such an obvious flaw, and with so many other good players about to need paid, the Vikings are probably best off letting him go and using the cap space on some other guys, and hoping to find a much cheaper, not-terrible QB to go forward with IMO.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 13, 2020

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Why is Bill Cowher even worthy of being in the Hall of Fame? Longetivity? Stubbornness?

Decided to quit instead of dealing with Ben roethlisberger.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Fenrir posted:

:same: both should have gone in before cowher or johnson imo but RINGZ (in the case of coryell anyway, poo poo, flores has the rings even)

It doesn’t get the same press as the West Coast offense did, but the list of teams that basically took Coryell’s offense or basic system and then won is pretty impressive. Gibbs used it in Washington, regularly adjusting it to fit his teams’ strengths, and won 3 out of 4 trips. Dallas used the same terminology and some of the concepts in the early-90s, as would the Greatest Show on Turf Rams.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FizFashizzle posted:

Decided to quit instead of dealing with Ben roethlisberger.

Ah, the morals and integrity argument.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Cowher (like his mentor Marty Schottenheimer, and also like fellow Marty disciple Tony Dungy*) really hated the increasingly passing-centric way the league was evolving in the 2000s. He lobbied ownership, successfully, against drafting Chad Pennington in 2000 (he wanted, and got, Plaxico Burress) and lobbied unsuccessfully against drafting Roethlisberger in 2004 (he wanted offensive tackle Shawn Andrews). Roethlisberger helped get Cowher a ring he wouldn't have gotten otherwise, and Peyton Manning did the same for Dungy, but they both retired soon afterward and never returned.

It's pretty funny that Cowher and Dungy have both been on TV a decade-plus when they both hate modern football, but I guess it's to their credit they don't preach about how sissy football has become every chance they get.

(* Dungy was actually DC in Pittsburgh for a few years in the 80s so he technically counts as part of the Chuck Noll tree, but he worked for Cowher/Schottenheimer for 3 years in KC after that and is definitely the same kind of coach as them philosophically)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
So you're saying Bill Cowher was a prophet of the Run in the dark times?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

No no, Cowher could have been the Prophet of Run and Stop the Run, but he refused the call and Jeff Fisher became the voice crying in the wilderness instead.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Leon Einstein posted:

At the very least I don't think they'll go 1/15 on 3rd down or whatever it was.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think the Chiefs terrible run defense will cause them beaucoup problems and I think Jimmy G is a fraud.

Titans v GB in the superbowl.

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.

Leon Einstein posted:

Honestly I think this is where we run straight into the talent wall. We just dont have enough offensive talent to put up much of a fight against that defense now that they're healthy again. Outside of Rodgers literally playing another perfect game or some catastrophe befalling the 9ers I dont really see a way to win this game.

We have absolutely no answer for kittle, and once they take away jones and Adams theres nobody left that's a threat. Its gonna be even worse if (when) rodgers tries to play hero ball and hangs on to the ball longer than 2 seconds and is annihilated.

It's been a hell of a run though and maybe handsome jim will get nervous and throw 4 pick 6s

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Agreed. Barring an implosion by the Niners I just don't see the Packers beating them on the road.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Pokemaster #421 posted:

Honestly I think this is where we run straight into the talent wall. We just dont have enough offensive talent to put up much of a fight against that defense now that they're healthy again. Outside of Rodgers literally playing another perfect game or some catastrophe befalling the 9ers I dont really see a way to win this game.

We have absolutely no answer for kittle, and once they take away jones and Adams theres nobody left that's a threat. Its gonna be even worse if (when) rodgers tries to play hero ball and hangs on to the ball longer than 2 seconds and is annihilated.

It's been a hell of a run though and maybe handsome jim will get nervous and throw 4 pick 6s

A lot of the stuff they did against the Seahawks might work against the 49ers, and we actually saw them having some success late in that blowout game. Mostly, attacking the edges with quick passes and mini screens while the 49ers defense is mostly concentrated in the middle.

Still think the 49ers should win, but a QB like Rodgers and a pretty decent team like the Packers have enough juice to beat the 49ers. If Rodgers plays well and Jimmy G just plays okay it could end up being that simple.

Or maybe the 49ers will simply run it down their throats and they won't be able to stop it like the Vikings, that's also a possibility

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

OxySnake posted:

Only gonna lose by 16 this time.

Yeah, sounds about right

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

surf rock posted:

Patrick Mahomes before the game, probably:

You know they say all men are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Deshaun Watson and you can see that statement is NOT TRUE! See, normally if you go one-on-one with another team you got a fifty/fifty chance of winning. But I'm a genetic freak, and I'm not normal! So you got a 25 percent at best at beat me! And then you add Bill O'Brien to the mix? You-the chances of winning drastically go down. See, an away game at Arrowhead, you got a 33 and a third chance of winning. But I, I got a 66 and two thirds chance of winning, 'cuz Bill O'Brien KNOOOOOOWS he can't beat me, and he's not even gonna try. So, Deshaun Watson, you take your thirty three and a third chance minus my twenty five percent chance (if we was to go one on one) and you got an eight and a third chance of winning at Arrowhead. But then you take my 75 percent chance of winning (if we was to go one on one), and then add 66 and two-thirds percent, I got a 141 2/3 chance of winning at Arrowhead! Señor Watson? The numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you at Arrowhead!

:hmmyes:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Play posted:

A lot of the stuff they did against the Seahawks might work against the 49ers, and we actually saw them having some success late in that blowout game. Mostly, attacking the edges with quick passes and mini screens while the 49ers defense is mostly concentrated in the middle.

Still think the 49ers should win, but a QB like Rodgers and a pretty decent team like the Packers have enough juice to beat the 49ers. If Rodgers plays well and Jimmy G just plays okay it could end up being that simple.

Or maybe the 49ers will simply run it down their throats and they won't be able to stop it like the Vikings, that's also a possibility

I don't know if the Niners would commit to the let the running back go six yards a carry every run strat like the Seahawks seemed to

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Loool

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1216853867100561414?s=19

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Bears offense is gonna be dog poo poo again. Cool. Fun.

Edit:. You're not going to get anyone even remotely competent when the guy you're hiring knows they won't even be calling plays.

fishing with the fam fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 13, 2020

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Why won't this team take playcalling away from Nagy and bring in a real OC? Shurmur would have been a nice fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Why won't this team take playcalling away from Nagy and bring in a real OC? Shurmur would have been a nice fit.

Because they brought Nagy in based on his track record as the OC for Patrick Mahomes. It was a bad hire and they won't admit it because BEARS.