Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Just the best

https://twitter.com/AdamSandler/status/1216750665923325952

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Best Cinematography continues to be a mixed bag. Don't tell me that Joker is more worthy of recognition than A Hidden Life, Parasite, or Midsommar.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Knives Out probably didn't deserve Best Picture but Ana de Armas deserved a Best Actress nom, dammit

Best Picture has to be between 1917 and Once Upon a Time. Joker's not gonna win anything noteworthy besides Best Actor, maybe. Wish I could see the sheer disgust of the Oscar voters who can't slampick Scorsese everywhere because of the Netflix label. :allears:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The gently caress is wrong with these boomers, I seriously can’t believe Apollo 11 was overlooked.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The Two Popes, Uncut Gems, and The Lighthouse should definitely have been recognized for Editing.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Laughing Zealot posted:

Would have liked to see Us get some love. At least a nomination for Lupita Nyong'o. Could have taken Theron's place for leading actress.

Doesn't academy awards math dictate that people can't be nominated two years in a row, especially if they're black?

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
I don’t understand Margot Robbie getting nominated, Charlize I get but Margot didn’t wow me at all in Bombshell. She was good but not AMAZING.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bombshell was just such a weird movie. Like, it's kind of fun to see a person you like playing the villain, but that cast was so full to the brim of good (hopefully) people playing bad people, and then the story is obviously sympathetic to them. Like there's nobody to root for*, just the hope that justice is done and that's kinda weird. None of the performances blew me away either (Charlize was good, accent was weird but I try not to listen to Megyn Kelly's voice so she might've nailed it) and more were just fun to see who else would turn up, but whoever cast Richard Kind as Giuliani deserves an award. Doesn't really look like the guy, but that's just a brilliant touch.

* Katie Aselton in the grocery market for 2 seconds is literally the only truly good person possibly.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Ignis posted:

Knives Out probably didn't deserve Best Picture but Ana de Armas deserved a Best Actress nom, dammit

I'm pretty surprised it didn't get a Best Picture nom given how it checks the boxes for commercial success, critical acclaim, and gentle social commentary.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

EL BROMANCE posted:

Bombshell was just such a weird movie. Like, it's kind of fun to see a person you like playing the villain, but that cast was so full to the brim of good (hopefully) people playing bad people, and then the story is obviously sympathetic to them. Like there's nobody to root for*, just the hope that justice is done and that's kinda weird. None of the performances blew me away either (Charlize was good, accent was weird but I try not to listen to Megyn Kelly's voice so she might've nailed it) and more were just fun to see who else would turn up, but whoever cast Richard Kind as Giuliani deserves an award. Doesn't really look like the guy, but that's just a brilliant touch.

* Katie Aselton in the grocery market for 2 seconds is literally the only truly good person possibly.

That was my take leaving the theatre. My partner and I talked about it and it's like... I guess some justice was done... kind of? They're all horrible people and while nothing bad should happen to people per se...

Anyway I liked John Lithgow in it. I always forget he can do drama well.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I hope Lithgow went full method and ate himself to the size of Ailes.

Also if anyone can change the thread title, it should say 92nd. When I googled it this morning I obviously didn't see the results that came up pointed to last years, d'oh.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
It's weird. This year had a lot of great award season contenders but the nominations just do not reflect that.

Lupita Nyong'o is a Toni Collette tier snubbing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

:siren: Awards Voting is Live! :siren: http://crucialweb.net/oscars

Everything is scrubbed from last year, so you'll need to make a new login (it literally just asks for a name and password, no need to verify but don't lose the PW as there's no reset - you'll need it if you want to edit, or see how your scores compare).

To join the Something Awful group the password is 'iamprotected', of course.

The Oscars site went a bit lovely this year so I'm missing posters for actors/actresses at the moment, and a few of the films. I'll try fill in the gaps as I can but it's only for aesthetics and doesn't stop anything from working.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I forgot what an amazing transformation Phoenix made:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha, it must be caching some of the old image files for you. I'd nominate Olivia every year, regardless of whether she had a film out or not.

Also next to the Supporting Actor/Actress categories, they should have cameos and minor roles, because between Steven Merchant in Jojo Rabbit and Keanu in Always Be My Maybe, it was a good year for that poo poo.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/MsKathyBates/status/1216778724609126405?s=20

https://twitter.com/JOSH_BENNY/status/1216821994856972288?s=20

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 13, 2020

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The Academy has had its issues with diversity, but it is pretty cool that women accounted for 50% of the acting nominations this year.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
It sucks that two years in a row, the Best Film in the Best Picture category is going to basically get disqualified because it's just going to win Best Foreign Film.

I will shoutout that The Nightingale is going to remain the biggest snub of this year in a year of gross snubs. It's the best film of the year, but it was pretty damned by people making it out to be some exploitation film. But it's loving disgusting Baykali Ganambarr isn't going to get a nomination.

Rooting for Parasite to win, but would be happy with Little Women or Marriage Story.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Straight up worst list of nominations in half a decade.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Do tell. I’m not a huge Joker fan, but overall it seems like a pretty average field. Is it the bad inclusions or bad exclusions?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

General Dog posted:

Do tell. I’m not a huge Joker fan, but overall it seems like a pretty average field. Is it the bad inclusions or bad exclusions?

I posted this elsewhere but A24 had what might be their strongest year ever and managed a single nomination across all titles.

In 2019 A24 released Uncut Gems, The Souvenir, Midsommar, Waves, Climax, The Last Black Man in San Francisco, The Lighthouse, In Fabric, High Life, and the crowd-pleaser The Farewell. In addition, Uncut Gems just became A24's single highest grossing film.

This year is a legendarily bad 'standardization' year for awards. The only recourse is to cheer for Parasite to win in all nominated categories.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Last year’s was way, way worse. This is perfectly fine, even if I agree that A24 got snubbed big time.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
What the gently caress the soundtrack in RotS was by far John William's worst.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

What the gently caress the soundtrack in RotS was by far John William's worst.

They know it’s his last

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
No Florence Pugh for Midsommar?

Disgraceful.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Midsommar getting snubbed in general is pretty embarrassing for the Academy.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

oneforthevine posted:

Last year’s was way, way worse. This is perfectly fine, even if I agree that A24 got snubbed big time.
Yeah, I'd gladly see Ford v Ferrari win over the likes of Green Book.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Would we feel terrible about any of the best picture nominees winning it other than Joker or JoJo Rabbit? (I haven’t been able to watch Jojo Rabbit yet, but the consensus seems negative)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jojo Rabbit is fine enough. Definitely not the best movie on the list but it wouldn't be a Green Book level of embarrassment either.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Yeah, JoJo Rabbit is fine. Probably not in my Top 10 for the year, but I wouldn’t yell “WHAT” if it won like I did last year. I probably wouldn’t be crazy about 1917 winning, which is unfortunately a lot more likely...

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I really disliked 1917 and it would be my worst nominee if not for Joker.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
1917, Ford v Ferrari, Once Upon a Time, Jojo Rabbit, and Irishman would make me roll my eyes for different reasons but that's not condemning those movies. Joker doesn't deserve it but I'd think it was funny. Green Book winning actively pissed me off.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 14, 2020

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

General Dog posted:

Would we feel terrible about any of the best picture nominees winning it other than Joker or JoJo Rabbit? (I haven’t been able to watch Jojo Rabbit yet, but the consensus seems negative)

I wouldn’t say the consensus is negative, averaging 4* on Letterboxd and 8/10 on IMDb (which was a surprise given it’s anti nazi stance and IMDb and RT generally being the place where the nazis send their bots to 1/10 things they don’t like).

Thought it was a lot of fun personally, although can see it not being for everyone.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Jojo Rabbit was great.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018
Jojo Rabbit sucked and its narrative need for a Jewish woman to justify her own existence and humanity to the hero of the movie was perverse. Also enjoyed the regurgitation of anti-Semitic myths for the sake of "satire."

I do agree that last year's nominations were worse but only because that was like a 30-year low. This year still manages to come close, especially because it was a better year for movies generally speaking.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

oneforthevine posted:

In the top categories, sure, and it's awful to look back on. I'm still a Roma supporter, tho. And in the smaller categories there were at least nods to excellent fringe stuff like Beale Street, Cold War, First Reformed, and The Favourite, so overall I must disagree.

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Midsommar getting snubbed in general is pretty embarrassing for the Academy.

The entirety of A24 got snubbed. Midsommar, while good, wasn't even in the top 3 of their best films this year.

General Dog posted:

Honestly, the only thing that can make me happy with this terrible list of noms is Parasite stealing 6 awards.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
ctrl F 'last black'

:smith:

I feel bad for the team that made the best movie of the year and have to keep seeing the sad clown movie on these lists

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The thing that sucks is that Little Women is an Oscar rear end Oscar movie but is also really, really loving good. It's bizarre how it's not in contention considering the Gretta sub.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Timeless Appeal posted:

The thing that sucks is that Little Women is an Oscar rear end Oscar movie but is also really, really loving good. It's bizarre how it's not in contention considering the Gretta sub.

Oscars don't reward good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Island Nation posted:

Oscars don't reward good
I get that's easy to say, but Moonlight and Shape of Water both are legitimately amazing films. Even if they weren't your horse in the race, it's hard to argue they weren't deserving.

The problem with the Oscars is that there's bafflingly inconsistent instead of just outright poo poo.