Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
https://twitter.com/glenmazzara/status/1216931920799395840

His whole thread is worth a read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

gently caress THE OSCARS ITS 2020 AND THEY DON T KNOW poo poo, THEY ARE IRRELEVANT TRASH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhcLEl5ZYB0

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jan 15, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I think it's more that they just didn't bother to watch them because they weren't interested in them. And you can't vote for something you didn't watch. And a studio isn't going to invest their For Your Consideration dollars on something that a large chunk of the Academy won't watch and subsequently won't vote for because the majority of the voters are white men, so they don't push as many of those films.

Less sinister, more depressing.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

It sucks that two years in a row, the Best Film in the Best Picture category is going to basically get disqualified because it's just going to win Best Foreign Film.

I will shoutout that The Nightingale is going to remain the biggest snub of this year in a year of gross snubs. It's the best film of the year, but it was pretty damned by people making it out to be some exploitation film. But it's loving disgusting Baykali Ganambarr isn't going to get a nomination.

Rooting for Parasite to win, but would be happy with Little Women or Marriage Story.

Nightingale broke me more than any other film in a long time. It really blew me away.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If we're posting our bizarro Oscars, mine would include at least 6 or 8 nominations for The Beach Bum. It was better than Joker!

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Midsommar getting snubbed in general is pretty embarrassing for the Academy.

In what world were they ever gonna nominate Midsommar for anything?

edit: I think the frustrating thing this year is the abundance of quality films that were completely within the realm of plausibility for getting nominations and had the awards campaigns to back them: Uncut Gems, The Farewell, Dolemite is my Name, Portrait of a Lady on Fire... There were legitimate options that were actually in conversation and they snubbed them all for Joker and Bombshell.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 15, 2020

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

TrixRabbi posted:

In what world were they ever gonna nominate Midsommar for anything?

Maybe in the 70s

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If we're posting our bizarro Oscars, mine would include at least 6 or 8 nominations for The Beach Bum. It was better than Joker!

:agreed: Martin Lawrence should have a Supporting Actor nomination for propelling the best scenes of any movie in 2019.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

People tend to talk about the Oscars in such conspiratorial terms, but they're just the product of 7,000 people picking movies without actually having to watch movies. It naturally generates nonsensical results.

If you want awards chosen by people who actually watch movies, any of the critics awards are likely to vex you less. The Critics' Choice Awards is probably closest to what people think the Oscars should look like. The National Society of Film Critics Awards is more accepting of foreign films.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Frankly it is an embarrassment that the Oscars didn't nominate Heimat is a Space in Time for anything!

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

TrixRabbi posted:

Frankly it is an embarrassment that the Oscars didn't nominate Heimat is a Space in Time for anything!

Haven't seen it but I'm not opposed to this sentiment

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Vegetable posted:

People tend to talk about the Oscars in such conspiratorial terms, but they're just the product of 7,000 people picking movies without actually having to watch movies. It naturally generates nonsensical results.

As much as this is true, it remains astounding to me that the Academy leadership, who I'd argue is concerned with optics more than most anything, has continued to botch its own image crisis year after year and make things worse. Obviously they can't shape the whole industry but it's incredible that their messaging is so tone-deaf.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Pretty brutal satire, was kinda depressing to sit through imo.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

one of my favorite hip-hop/culture blogs posted a really cool article imagining what a Best Casting Director Oscar would have looked like over the last 20 years. I want to share my favorite thing about one of my favorite movies, but you should really read the whole deal.

quote:

Up to this point when we’ve discussed casting and how the award has been decided, much of it has to do with stars and how they’re utilized in the context of a specific story. But the wallpaper of a film, the extras, the silent or one line bit parts, it’s all texture that contributes to the final product. This year recognizes The Coens and their longtime casting director Ellen Chenoweth for the way the people on the edges of their film complete the picture and the stories they are trying to tell. The Coen Brothers and Chenoweth could conceivably win this award every year. No directors have the same knack for finding faces and characters that feel authentic and sound like they are direct products of their dark, dumb, silly universe.

A Serious Man is not just arguably the best Coen Brothers movie, and the most complete thesis of their style and mission statement, but it is definitively the COENSIEST of all the Coen Brothers movies. It is chock full of Coen actors, quirky weirdos with perfect Coen faces. It starts with Michael Stuhlbarg, a revelation here who also could’ve been Best Find. Following this performance, he quickly and deservedly joined the upper echelon of working character actors. Fred Melamed was a lifer with a deep and deeply bizarre IMDB who found his perfect expression here as an shlubby, sonorous lothario. Richard Kind was probably the most famous actor involved at the time of filming.

If the Coens make a starless picture, it’s obviously a choice. In this Job parable that feels like their most personal film, it was somewhat of a risk for mostly fresh faces but they execute on every possible level and it simply doesn’t work unless every piece fits in place. The kids at the Hebrew School, the Rabbis, the shrew wife in the shtetl, it’s a masterpiece of casting and maybe the very best example of how casting can elevate and complete the world of a film on this list.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Soderbergh movies also have great casting. Even his mediocre movies like The Laundromat fill all their roles with surprising, talented actors who aren't necessarily huge stars.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly, I think part of the problem is that people expect niche films to win out in a democratic vote of thousands of people.

Like, The Nightingale was never, ever going to get nominated, because a very large chunk of the Academy just flat out isn't gonna want to watch a movie about brutal rape. Uncut Gems got snubbed because you have to be willing to see an Adam Sandler movie, and also able to enjoy one where he's deliberately playing an insufferable piece of poo poo, to be in its niche. Midsommar requires you to be into gory, nihilistic horror to enjoy it at all. Are these some of the best films of the year? Sure, maybe. Are they gonna get any attention in an awards ceremony that's polling thousands of people across all tastes for nominations and awards? Fuuuuuck no.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Honestly, I think part of the problem is that people expect niche films to win out in a democratic vote of thousands of people.

Like, The Nightingale was never, ever going to get nominated, because a very large chunk of the Academy just flat out isn't gonna want to watch a movie about brutal rape. Uncut Gems got snubbed because you have to be willing to see an Adam Sandler movie, and also able to enjoy one where he's deliberately playing an insufferable piece of poo poo, to be in its niche. Midsommar requires you to be into gory, nihilistic horror to enjoy it at all. Are these some of the best films of the year? Sure, maybe. Are they gonna get any attention in an awards ceremony that's polling thousands of people across all tastes for nominations and awards? Fuuuuuck no.

I don't buy this line.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Eddie Murphy getting snubbed for Dolemite is some loving bullshit.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Am I the only one shocked at all the praise 1917 is getting? It just seems like a knockoff version of Dunkirk.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Euphoriaphone posted:

Am I the only one shocked at all the praise 1917 is getting? It just seems like a knockoff version of Dunkirk.

That movie is poo. Mendes is poo.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Faster posted:

I rarely have an emotional reaction to Oscar nominations but Apollo 11 but not getting a nod is pretty disappointing and surprising given the critical reception and box office performance.

I just came here to say this. This is a crime.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It was in the shortlist, so there's no reason it wouldn't have been eligible.

I love that 'Cats' was in the VFX shortlist, did they just assume it wasn't going to be released looking like a complete mess? Says everything about the process. Terminator Dark Fate also shortlisted despite the fact you can see where the money effects are, and where they just said 'gently caress it' and threw scenes to a low budget Indian effects house that still renders things that look like early 2000s movies.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Battle Angel had the best vfx

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Eh--you're not giving people enough credit and being a bit reductive on some of the films you mentioned. The Nightingale isn't about a brutal rape and is a beautiful movie. I don't even like Midsommar, but it's undeniably gorgeous. But at the same time, it's movie nerd talk. Yes, everyone understands that the Oscars is always going to exclude some deserving stuff, but it's also because people want to champion good movies.

What the actual problem is becomes very clear when The Farewell and Little Women--loving Oscar rear end Oscar movies--are getting overlooked.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

His argument doesn't account for films like The Farewell, Last Black Man, and Portrait of a Lady on Fire not at least being nommed in one category.

This is absolutely retrenchment of the more conservative forces in the industry. This is how it all was during almost the entirety of the 90s.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Battle Angel had the best vfx

I'm curious what 10 minutes they showed, since if they didn't show her Motorball tryout that is a goddamn crime

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

His argument doesn't account for films like The Farewell, Last Black Man, and Portrait of a Lady on Fire not at least being nommed in one category.

This is absolutely retrenchment of the more conservative forces in the industry. This is how it all was during almost the entirety of the 90s.
Or stuff like Jennifer Lopez and Eddie Murphy's nominations being considered almost certainties by the zeitgeist.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jan 17, 2020

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Top five snubbed Oscar movies

Dolemite Is My Name
Midsommar
Lighthouse
Alita: Battle Angel
Uncut Gems

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

my top five snubbed oscar movies

Uncut Gems
Portrait of a Lady on Fire
The Last Black Man in San Francisco
Alita: Battle Angel
Long Day's Journey Into Night

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

ruddiger posted:

Eddie Murphy getting snubbed for Dolemite is some loving bullshit.

Did it play in theaters?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I believe Portrait was not nominated for Foreign Film because France chose Les Miserables instead. Although it could have easily been nominated in many other categories.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

got any sevens posted:

Did it play in theaters?

I saw it playing in a few theaters in LA, they did a whole special engagement at the New Beverly Cinema.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Battle Angel would’ve been my pick from that shortlist. I was very pleasantly surprised by a film I thought was gonna be pretty crap. Good design and quality.

Film I knew wouldn’t be nominated but would’ve been nice if it somehow got something, like a best supporting or screenplay nod: Booksmart. Lovely film.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Am I alone in never hearing of Marriage Story until it got nominated for an Oscar?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Roth posted:

Am I alone in never hearing of Marriage Story until it got nominated for an Oscar?
You’re missing out. It’s got some of the best dialogue scenes I’ve seen all year.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Was Dragged Across Concrete any good? I heard a lot of chatter when it came out to the effect that "it's deeply problematic but undeniably well made" and the director is maybe secret alt-right or something.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Euphoriaphone posted:

Hollywood has a hard-on for movies that look like it's shot in one scene. Like Birdman for example.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Euphoriaphone posted:

It's okay. It's not as good as Dunkirk, which itself is a movie that I find impressive without really loving it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

General Dog posted:

Was Dragged Across Concrete any good? I heard a lot of chatter when it came out to the effect that "it's deeply problematic but undeniably well made" and the director is maybe secret alt-right or something.

It is deeply problematic and I don't think it's very well made. I mean, the director is a pro so it's not like it's DTV level but I don't remember the technical aspects of it standing out very much to me.

And yes, the director signed with a production company that has openly said it's mission statement is to make movies that "conservatives" can enjoy. And the first collaboration is Dragged Across Concrete, a movie starring Mel Gibson about cops who are maybe a little overzealous but hey they get the job done and it's not fair that our PC culture is making them obsolete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

It is deeply problematic and I don't think it's very well made. I mean, the director is a pro so it's not like it's DTV level but I don't remember the technical aspects of it standing out very much to me.

And yes, the director signed with a production company that has openly said it's mission statement is to make movies that "conservatives" can enjoy. And the first collaboration is Dragged Across Concrete, a movie starring Mel Gibson about cops who are maybe a little overzealous but hey they get the job done and it's not fair that our PC culture is making them obsolete.

Isn't it the same guy who made Bone Tomahawk? That movie was great.