Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

General Dog posted:

The real shame is that it didn't get a very wide release. Did it play anywhere outside of New York and LA? I heard all of these great things about it when it came out, but never had any opportunity to see it until it hit digital in January.

Was out on (I think) Halloween in Austin :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Parasite is still playing in Portland, Oregon. I know because I just saw it.

Now that I think of it, a big :thunk: that the Netflix movies The Irishman & Marriage Story didn't get much from the Oscars…

Aside from Laura Dern.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Regal was running every best picture nom except Irishman and Marriage Story.

I hope Parasite winning best picture is a sign to franchise theaters that they could run more subtitled film other than anime.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Putting Irishman on Netflix was a huge mistake. Everyone I know who watched it at home got bored and watched it in segments, and everyone who saw it in theaters loved it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Putting Irishman on Netflix was a huge mistake. Everyone I know who watched it at home got bored and watched it in segments, and everyone who saw it in theaters loved it

Scorsese said in an interview that he hopes no one actually watches it on Netflix and only did it because they offered him bigger cash than traditional studios. His idea is that in like 10+ years you'll be able to see it in theaters and that was his goal with it. Pretty cool

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I would absolutely not be able to handle watching Irishman in a theater with my issues with adhd.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

coronavirus posted:

Its not a travesty of a best picture win like Shakespare in Love or Chicago or Braveheart.
Man those aren't even close to the worst that have ever won BP. Watch Cavalcade or Cimarron or Tom Jones or Greatest Show on Earth or Gigi or Gentleman's Agreement and then get back to me.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Ya I watched The Irishman on Netflix & I fully admit my attention was not focused entirely on the movie at times. My friends in Los Angeles that got to see it in the theatre said it was a superior experience.

Marriage Story got theatrical release, right? Did its theatrical distribution match that of The Irishman and/or Parasite?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Roth posted:

I would absolutely not be able to handle watching Irishman in a theater with my issues with adhd.

I saw Gettysburg in a theater as a hyperative child and that intermission was KEY.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Android Apocalypse posted:

Parasite is still playing in Portland, Oregon. I know because I just saw it.

Parasite still playing where I work. It's getting a big bump this week, which is great. Might go #1 for the first time, too.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
Parasite is still playing at my local theater but only in black and white for some reason

I'm bummed because my other local theatre had playing last week but I missed it

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Papercut posted:

Parasite is still playing at my local theater but only in black and white for some reason

:psyduck:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It's still playing in Omaha too, both b&w and regular showings.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't understand why there's a black and white version.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I really don't know why either, arthouses gonna arthouse I guess?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I dunno, if its done well it could add to the modernized Hitchcock sort of thing that Parasite is going for I guess.

In general though the trend of these black and white rereleases have been weird to me. IIRC Mad Max: Fury Road and Logan got them too.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

quote:

"I think it may be vanity on my part, but when I think of the classics, they're all in black and white," he said at the International Film Festival Rotterdam, where he dropped in during a chaotic awards season schedule to give a master class and present the world premiere of the new Parasite edit. "So I had this idea that if I turned my films into black and white then they'd become classics."

Bong explained that, as a child growing up in South Korea, his mother wouldn't allow him to visit the cinema for fear of "bacteria," so he watched all the masterpieces at home on a black-and-white TV.

"Of course, there was a time when all films were in black and white," he said, pointing out that many of the great masters, such as Akira Kurosawa and Alfred Hitchcock, had both black-and-white and color periods. "Our generation has no chance, but thanks to digital technology, we can do it."

From https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bong-joon-ho-black-white-parasite-cut-1274862

Ignis fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 11, 2020

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Arthouse theaters would love to have reasons for people who already saw Parasite to come back and see it sure, but I wonder if it's a distributor decision or something. Because there's no way Parasite was shot considering a black and white release. It's just peculiar

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well asked and answered. He should just make a black and white movie though. Compare the palette of B&W Parasite to Lighthouse, for example.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

In Training posted:

Well asked and answered. He should just make a black and white movie though. Compare the palette of B&W Parasite to Lighthouse, for example.

To be fair, The Lighthouse is one of the first actual B&W American 35mm films in at least a decade and a half. Even The Man Who Wasn't There, The Artist, Nebraska, and Good Night and Good Luck were shot on color stock and converted to B&W in post.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Now that the Awards are over, can we make our lists of what would have won in a better alternate universe?

Best Picture
Uncut Gems

Best Director
Terrence Malick, A Hidden Life

Best Actor
Matthew McConaughey, The Beach Bum

Best Actress
Florence Pugh, Midsommar

Best Supporting Actor
Willem Dafoe, The Lighthouse

Best Supporting Actress
Ana de Armas, Knives Out

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The Ringer's The Big Picture podcast did their own alternate Oscars awards. Worth a listen if you got the time.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

In Training posted:

Scorsese said in an interview that he hopes no one actually watches it on Netflix and only did it because they offered him bigger cash than traditional studios. His idea is that in like 10+ years you'll be able to see it in theaters and that was his goal with it. Pretty cool

AFAIK, the movie basically wouldn't have been possible if they didn't do it on Netflix because the idea of a movie that long was not interesting to any traditional studios relative to what it would cost.

Steve Yun posted:

Nearly everyone I know who didn't love the movie are people who would've never watched a 4-hour Scorsese movie in a theater regardless so I think a lot of the mixed reaction from Netflix viewers is just based on the fact that the film's accessibility and notoriety got a lot of people to watch it who aren't super into that kind of movie to begin with.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

sportsgenius86 posted:

Nearly everyone I know who didn't love the movie are people who would've never watched a 4-hour Scorsese movie in a theater regardless so I think a lot of the mixed reaction from Netflix viewers is just based on the fact that the film's accessibility and notoriety got a lot of people to watch it who aren't super into that kind of movie to begin with.

One thing about The Irishman that I think hurt it is that Scorsese doesn't spend a lot of time establishing the broader context of events. If you know the Hoffa story very well, it's great, but if not I think it comes off as meandering and too slowly paced.

Of course, that's kinda the point. This is a story about people who act as if they're wrapped up in incredibly important earth shattering events, and only with time do some of them eventually come to realize just how little it all meant. But still I think it ended up being an obstacle for some people.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Things liked about The Irishman:
-The little texts telling us how even the most minor side character would be murdered. Most of them in the late 70s early 80s so presumably there was a mob war then
-Them experiencing a bunch of major world events entirely through TV
-its also just pretty good in general

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

have you seen movie 43? that movie has oscar winners

AFTER they won

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Now that the Awards are over, can we make our lists of what would have won in a better alternate universe?

Best Picture
Uncut Gems

:jerkbag:
this universe sucks poo poo

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I wouldn't be mad at best supporting for Kevin Garnett though

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Alan Smithee posted:

:jerkbag:
this universe sucks poo poo

Yeah I might give Sandler my best actor award in an alt. universe but Parasite is absolutely the film of the year; that’s one thing the Oscars nailed.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

he was honestly the least interesting performance for me. His situation (that he kept banging his head into) was interesting enough. Lakeith was strong, hell even the vaseline slathered Super Hornio Brothers extra Vince McMahon looking mooks were good. And just about everyone who showed up for 30 seconds was on point

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Best Picture
Once upon a time in Hollywood (nominated, didnt win)

Best Director
Bong Joon Ho (nominated, won)

Best Actor
Sandler (not nominated)

Best Actress
Scarlett Johansenn (nominated, didn't win)

Best Supporting Actor
Brad Pitt (nominated, won)

Best Supporting Actress
Kathy Bates (nominated, didnt win)

Cinematography
Roger Deakins (nominated,won)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Really the only travesty to me was that Uncut Gems got no recognition at all, when it was a good movie, well directed, good soundtrack, and Sandler's best performance of his career.

And Zellwegger winning because she played a hollywood starlet...

Everything else was good movies and good actors winning so its hard to complain too much. Its also great to see non-English speaking movie win best picture.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
is there a clear definition of what makes a "supporting" role? it seemed like Brad Pitt is in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood nearly as much as DiCaprio, I thought of them as co-leads.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

gey muckle mowser posted:

is there a clear definition of what makes a "supporting" role? it seemed like Brad Pitt is in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood nearly as much as DiCaprio, I thought of them as co-leads.

I believe the studios choose to tell the awards which actors they want eligible for which award.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, there's certain guidelines that the submissions have to adhere to, but studios decide which awards their films are going to be submitted for.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/hoyarkive/status/1226661672573689862?s=21

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

My favorite Supporting Actor performance was Pesci in the Irishman, but Dafoe in The Lighthouse was perfectly cast. I don't have a problem with Pitt getting the award either though. Can't everyone be winners?!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
NOT WORK SAFE:

https://twitter.com/neonrated/status/1227244126250262529?s=21

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Twitter is fun today

https://twitter.com/parasitegifs/status/1227233928064512000?s=21

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Cacator posted:

My favorite Supporting Actor performance was Pesci in the Irishman, but Dafoe in The Lighthouse was perfectly cast. I don't have a problem with Pitt getting the award either though. Can't everyone be winners?!

Yea I really wanted Pesci to win but at least he was nominated. Dafoe being left out of the nominations was a worse offense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Cacator posted:

Dafoe is another I'd call a co-lead rather than supporting, but it's kind of splitting hairs. I agree about Pesci, he was my pick but Pitt was certainly excellent as well.