Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

That Robot posted:

It would be interesting to see if there were any references to the St. Valentines Day Massacre, Al Capone or the recently-repealed Prohibition.
Prohibition got pages earlier, but nothing on the other two. The entry for mafia is brief.

g0lbez posted:

this is literally the first time I've voted a thread 5 (or any number) in over a decade, thanks for the effort/good poo poo OP
My first gold thread! You like me! You really, really like me!
No but seriously I'm glad y'all are enjoying this

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Is there any information on farming, because it was the job most people did at the beginning of the 1900's?

See agriculture

Bonus article on the USDA

Please make a further selection from the above options

Platystemon posted:

Philippe Pétain’s entry will be funny because he’s an unalloyed hero at this point. He’s going to get talked way up.

Winston Churchill is “in the wilderness” at this time. If his entry is long enough, it will be interesting.

Industrial Workers of the World

Anarchists

Al Capone

The Titanic

Platystemon posted:

The coverage of astronomy so far is weird. No entry for stars? Try the entries “astronomy”, “nebula”, “Edwin Hubble”, and maybe “(The Great Nebula in) Andromeda”.
First I AM BAD AT ENCYCLOPEDIAS
Stars

Astronomy was covered earlier, and there's no entry for Hubble or Andromeda nebula, but here's the general nebula article

"spiral nebula"

Also cluster

RandomPauI posted:

What does the book have to say about love?

Bonus entries!

Rulers of the World!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
And now, maps of the world in 1935!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They went overboard with the roads and rivers. Even the Great Wall makes an appearance.

I can’t figure out what’s going on in the Sahara.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

really interesting maps

the book is showing it's age

ChubbyChecker fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jan 22, 2020

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Since nobody has made a request, I flipped through the A section for whatever got my attention.

Aborigines

Actinic Rays (UV)

Adolescence

Adoption

Afghanistan before the brave Mujahideen fighters

Which is followed by Africa

Aircraft Disasters

Alhambra

Alimony

Alpaca

Ambulance

Americanisms

Anemometer

Modern anemometers use pretty much the same design :eng101:

Antarctic Exploration

Also ant-eater ^^^

Anthracite

Anthrax

Atheism

Agnosticism

And some more illustrations!

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
I was going to ask for Zeppelin but you pretty much covered, that, so how about helicopter?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Xaintrailles posted:

I was going to ask for Zeppelin but you pretty much covered, that, so how about helicopter?

I think you mean autogyro my friend. this isn't science fiction.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Give us Brazil.

Has India been posted yet? I don’t recall.

legendaryRev
May 1, 2008

Soiled Meat

ChubbyChecker posted:

what a great cat! and the robot entry was interesting

I’m quoting you because of my initial interest as well. The term “robot” is originally though to have first been used in a stage play called R.U.R. or “Rossum’s Universal Robots” from 1920. It’s about a robot revolt after they attain self-actualization and 2 units fall in love and want to procreate. This was a great read.

legendaryRev fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Mar 5, 2020

legendaryRev
May 1, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sorry for the second post, but what about freemasonry?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'd be curious about what it has to say about Germ theory, Asprin, and Asbestos.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Holy thread necro Batman!

I forgot all about this but I will post new articles asap (I work 50 hours a week)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Stalin