Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

PostNouveau posted:

I'm trying to remember an amazing documentary I saw. The subject was a photographer, a schlubby overweight dude, and he would go to crazy lengths to capture one perfect photo. Like spend months location-scouting and hours shutting down streets and positioning models and whatnot. You start the film thinking it's insane to go to these length and then end it thinking he's a goddamn genius.

Edit: Nevermind, scrolling Google eventually came through. It's Gregory Crewdson: Brief Encounters

I really enjoyed that one. I knew who he was and what he did before watching but I didn’t understand the scale of his work, true genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Sounds a little like the goatman creepy pasta - teens camping and a shapeshifter in their midst, messing with them.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Found footage horror from the boom time of such movies. College kids going camping. See a yeti type creature by the water. Not sure exact sequence here: either they chase it or it chases them, I think they camp at least one night and then they end up “somewhere else”. I feel like it was underground? Join up with army guys, lots of running and fighting - I’m not sure if it was the yeti creatures or zombies or what at this stage. From there on it was pretty much just running and shooting, hiding and scares.

Weird movie because it felt like the beginning was totally unrelated to the end, just completely different movies.

I was certain I had this on my Plex server but I’ve spent ages checking and not finding it, as well as looking through long lists of found footage movies online and coming up short.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006

DRINK ME posted:

Found footage horror from the boom time of such movies. College kids going camping. See a yeti type creature by the water. Not sure exact sequence here: either they chase it or it chases them, I think they camp at least one night and then they end up “somewhere else”. I feel like it was underground? Join up with army guys, lots of running and fighting - I’m not sure if it was the yeti creatures or zombies or what at this stage. From there on it was pretty much just running and shooting, hiding and scares.

Weird movie because it felt like the beginning was totally unrelated to the end, just completely different movies.

I was certain I had this on my Plex server but I’ve spent ages checking and not finding it, as well as looking through long lists of found footage movies online and coming up short.

My description possibly sucked but I found it Evidence.

^^not devils pass thanks!

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
I actually thought adding yeti to the search would narrow it right down because I haven’t seen that many movies with a yeti-like creature but it was not that helpful.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
#1 could be Repo Men or the rock opera Repo. I prefer the musical out of the two.

"Repo Men (2010) posted:

In 2025, advancements in medical technology have perfected bio-mechanical organs. A corporation known as The Union sells these expensive "artiforgs" on credit, and when customers are unable or unwilling to pay for their artiforgs The Union sends "repo men" to locate and forcibly repossess the organ - invariably resulting in the death of the owner

"Repo! The Genetic Opera (2008) posted:

By the year 2056, an epidemic of organ failures has devastated the planet. The megacorporation GeneCo provides organ transplants on a payment plan. Clients who miss payments are hunted down by Repo Men, skilled assassins who "repossess" the organs ("Genetic Repo Man"). The CEO of GeneCo, Rottissimo "Rotti" Largo, discovers he is terminally ill. Rotti's three children, Luigi, Pavi, and Amber, bicker over who will inherit GeneCo ("Mark It Up"). Rotti believes none of his children are worthy heirs and instead plans to pass on his fortune to 17-year-old Shilo Wallace, the daughter of his ex-fiancé Marni ("Things You See In A Graveyard").

edit: these are both well past your timeframe but there may be an earlier version of this premise I’m not aware of

DRINK ME fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Feb 4, 2022

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
I can’t think of another road rage movie with a woman but this topic reminded me of the movie Duel and that I haven’t seen it in many many years. This trailer has such a period feel / drive-in movie feel to it and I’m excited to watch it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m9aeCeHbiQ

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Looking for a horror movie made in the last 10 years, feels recent. I might be mixing up multiple movies in some of this but I think it’s all the same one. It’s all really hazy memories and searching for it reveals lots of mirror movies but none that fit.

It involves a mirror world, literally through a mirror. I think the mirror is in an old funhouse/arcade near a pier? There is a girl who is kidnapped by her mirror world mother (maybe family). At some point there’s a long explanatory scene with the mirror world mother talking about “when you had <good thing> we had <bad thing>” and she does the whole thing sort of inhaling as she talks - I think as part of the opposites-in-mirror-world thing.
I think either her daughter was so bad she wanted the good one or her daughter had died so she wanted the good one. Something about a classroom with cages of rabbits?

I think this is the same movie but I’m not certain at all - at the end all of the mirror world people are coming through and killing the normals to take their lives.

There seems to be a lot of movies with evil in mirrors and evil mirrors but not this one, or maybe two I have jumbled together in my head.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

That’s absolutely Us. From 2019.
Champions! I came back to add some more detail and you’ve already solved it.

The Wikipedia plot says “It is revealed that the clone had choked Adelaide unconscious (damaging her larynx, making her voice raspy and guttural sounding)…” but I spent like 3 days pissing of my gf at the time talking as I breathed in, because that’s exactly what it sounded like.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
It’s from Mythic Quest: Ravens Banquet s1e07

quote:

Poppy: Hold up. Why are you being so nice to him?

Ian: It's supposed to be a noble moment. You want me to call him names?

Poppy: Yes. Yeah, call him a sex pest. That's a big insult in Australia.

Ian: I don't think he's gonna be Australian, but I appreciate the enthusiasm and I love the term.

Poppy: It's good, right? -Yeah.
Couldn’t find any video of it but some transcript site had this. Poppy is Australian, if that helps with context.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
I really like it. The pilot didn’t click with me and I stopped watching, a work friend prodded me into giving it another go and now I’m into it - so I’d say don’t judge it from just the pilot alone.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
It sounds kind of familiar so I searched for such a movie and haven’t found it but I did find this headline from an Australian news site, seemingly a cross promotion for the television show Bondi Rescue a few years ago :stonk:

“Ouch! A man’s penis was ‘de-gloved’ after horrific dog bite at Bondi Beach”

I decided that’s enough searching for dog bite penis.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Thinking about a movie that may or may not exist…

I watched The Siege (1998) with a friend while we were hungover and we started talking about movies where New York is locked down/cut off.

We both thought there was another one similar to The Siege where it’s a military thing, possibly terrorist driven, but haven’t come up with it. We’ve ruled out Escape from NY, The First Purge, Cloverfield, I am Legend, and Red Dawn (not NY but military occupation).

Is there another movie where the military cuts off/locks down/occupies New York or part of it?

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Thanks all. Good suggestions but apart from 28 weeks later I don’t think they’re what I was thinking about. It’s British so I don’t think it was 28 weeks later but all I really recall of that movie is thinking it wasn’t as good as the first one.

The more I search the more I’m starting to think that I saw the siege, forgot it and now I’m thinking about the same movie I just saw and getting confused.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
jinx^^^

I thought Con air was in the palm of the hand but there’s a few of them doing it, so it might be in there. I should definitely watch that movie again.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Defcon 4 (1985)

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
It seems familiar to me too but it might be because it’s kind of cliched. I thought it was Deadpool but Google says no.

Talladega Nights is a no as well, that was: “someone didn’t love you enough when you were little - did they?”

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Neither of these really fit but I’m just thinking about evil book movies, it’s almost a bit of a trope, like the ring movies and that drat video cassette.
*Scary stories to tell in the dark
*Name of the rose

The king in yellow is coming out this year and is another “read this book[play] and go mad/die” stories but it can’t be that.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
I also saw it on SBS, it’s Erotic Ghost Story.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
There’s also the Des Mangan intro/outro for it here, he used to do these for all the “SBS cult movies”.

Thinking about erotic ghost story has bought up a lot of memories, SBS really did have a lot of softcore back then - when they earned the Sex Before Soccer / Sex Before Scenery name. The Weatherwoman was another one they had that all us teen boys watched in small bursts if they could get time alone with the tv.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006

Grassy Knowles posted:

no, first time Eliot's worried about having been burned is when i'm thinking of

There’s a scene in… the first season? where he destroys everything. Drills hard drives, microwaves ram and sims and whatnot. That’s the only scene I can think of with drilling hard drives.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
I don’t have an answer for you but it sounded vaguely familiar and I used to watch a lot of late night SBS movies, I tried searching and the second hit was you lol

I had never heard of the Napolean school but apparently it’s lycée, the accent probably doesn’t matter much but the c might help because searches with an s didn’t get me far… although I was searching english sites so school was probably a better choice of word.

I found False Movement 2014. I definitely haven’t seen it, the timeframe doesn’t fit and at best it’s vaguely similar.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006

Cat Hatter posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a scene in The Shield where some guys had been impersonating police and Vic, the head dirty cop, picks up one of their fake (stolen?) badges and stabbed them with it.

That’s the one I remember too, he uses a stolen badge from a dead cop.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Even looking at that image I wouldn’t recognise it as Donnie Darko and I’ve seen the movie a bunch of times, not in a few years though so I need to watch it again.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
It’s vaguely familiar but I don’t have any name for it. Maybe an old comedy sketch show, maybe an old comedy movie, I keep trying to recognise his face and I’ve got nothing.

I tried image searching the guy and all I got were hits for Rasputin / an actor who played Rasputin.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
Star Chamber

I haven’t seen it in years but roughly: Michael Douglas is a judge that is pissed at criminals getting off on technicalities and joins a secret society that uses a hitman to dispense justice. Things go awry when he learns one of those criminals he thought was “getting away with it” is actually innocent and wants to cancel the hitman but the others are like “it happens, the good we do outweighs the bad, too late to stop it now.” Douglas won’t accept this and shoots the hitman right before the hit.

Fake edit: added a link because that plot is definitely more accurate than my memory.

Real edit: beaten because I stopped to read wikipedia.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
That’d make sense because Jones has said he included a lot of little references in the film - like GERTY has HAL design with the single lens, the plants called Ridley and Kathryn (Scott and Bigalow).

Does the computer in Flight of the Navigator come from the roof? I can barely remember it except circles of light, maybe on the walls or out of the walls or from the roof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
I’ve never heard the “coke on a bus” but anywhere else but the rant and “I get to live the rest of my life like a shnook” is Goodfellas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUWKrzsFh2c