Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

This is for a TV show so I'm not sure if this is the right place to post it but it's going to drive me crazy if I don't ask somewhere.

I swear this is from some '90s show, it's an episode several seasons in possibly a season finale episode. These two characters are somewhere in the woods or maybe just a wooded backyard (like filmed in Vancouver vibes), one is kind of a mentor character and the other is his student who at the beginning of the series was a fresh faced kid and now after a couple seasons has turned into kind of a angry aggressive rear end in a top hat/frenemy of his old teacher. They get into a fight and his teacher ends up killing him even though he doesn't want to. I also seen to remember feeling like the show really declined in quality once they killed off this character, and it lasted for only one more session after this episode and then was cancelled.

For some reason I've had this vague recollection in my mind for decades and up until 5 minutes ago I was sure it was from the last episode in season 5 of the Highlander TV series. Now that I've watched this episode again, I'm not sure I even made it this far in the series my first time around and have absolutely no idea what show I might be remembering!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Jedit posted:

I was going to say that was Highlander: the Series. Maybe you forgot that you saw it?

I don't think so but I'm also really doubting my own memory at this point. I spent I don't know how many hours yesterday going through lists of shows that aired from 1980-2005 in the US and Canada looking for anything that might jog my memory. The Highlander TV ep I thought it was has a totally different setting (an abandoned mall and not in the woods), and if I remember anything about this it is mostly how I felt after watching it, it was a very sad and touching scene. The Highlander episode essentially jumped the shark and introduced some completely new concept to the show at the 11th hour and killed off a character in a way that was beyond ridiculous and not at all sentimental.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Highlander did this a lot with the mentors vs students dynamic. It could be Duncan killing his protégé Richie, but the way the characters are described doesn't really fit. Duncan gets possessed by a demon and kills Richie thinking he's Kurgan or some other big evil villain and deeply regrets what he's done.

It could also be a dozen different characters, older Immortals that inducted newer Immortals into The Game were very often beheaded by their own students who went on to become very powerful monsters of the week for Duncan.

The Duncan killing Richie ep is what I thought it was, but I've been watching through the Highlander series here for the last month or so and nothing else has fit what I remembered. I've still got the last season to go but I'm feeling pretty confident that I never saw season six in the first place and that I must be remembering some other show.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Maybe one of the Kaiji live action movies?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I think that's Barefoot Gen, an equally depressing (it's autobiographical) but less well-known film about little kids surviving the Hiroshima bombing.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

HATEPOSTING posted:

You gotta help me this is driving me nuts. Also it might be a tv series i'm not sure.

2 brothers are on a rooftop, pretty sure they're black, i think it's one brothers wedding and the other one has been shown to be mentally ill previously. They're talking, having a beer, when suddenly while the other is still talking, the mentally ill one looks ahead and walks off the roof to his death.

Interview with the Vampire, the TV series.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Alan Smithee posted:

so I was looking at things going public domain and the Passion of Joan of Arc will be in 2024

I keep thinking of a movie that I feel like used it as a movie within a movie scene, like the characters were watching it in a theater? I don't remember a thing about it or even if I'm making it up in my head

I just recently saw The Legend of Billie Jean (which was shockingly great and I can't understand why I never knew it existed until recently), and they watch and make direct references to some old Joan of Arc film that's in black and white multiple times. I don't think they watch it in a theater though.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Mr Scumbag posted:

I normally don't have this problem but I just got a flash of a relatively new movie that either ends or has a part where the protagonist attacks (I think) the president's cabin for reasons I can't remember and there's a scene where (again, I think) a high level member of government takes his daughter down into the bunker below the cabin with him but she realizes he's one of the bad guys and abandons him/leaves the bunker. I think he dies as a result but she survives?

Weird description and extra weird that I'm pretty sure this was a recent movie but for the life of me I can't remember any more of it. I'm more curious about what movie it is than I am about re-watching it.

Olympus Has Fallen maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

This doesn't really fit most of what you describe but: Annihilation?