Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Caught the end of a movie probably on TCM or AMC in the mid-late 90s that was in black and white about a boxer or wrestler who had been either disfigured or deformed and wore a mask to hide his face. He got plastic surgery and wanted to remove his mask after his retirement fight to show the audience how beautiful his new face was. The promoter I think wanted him to either keep the mask on or wear heavy makeup to keep the audience curious. When this plea failed, the promoter ordered his opponent to try to destroy his new face during the fight.

Every search I do involving a disfigured fighter turns up a suggestion for Mickey Rourke. Christ, Google, he's not that ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Timby posted:

Kid Monk Baroni, with Leonard Nimoy?

drat, that was really close, but unfortunately no. I specifically remember him wearing a mask and the promoter pushing a circus freak-show pitch on wanting the crowd to see his messed-up face.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
The South Park where they pretend they're ninjas?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Medullah posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YccozjEe9f4

Hahaha yes that may very well be it. I feel like I saw it somewhere else too but that definitely ticks the box.

Well poo poo, I threw that out as a joke because they have such a distinctive style it usually sticks in your brain what you were watching. Happy to be of service though.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

CPL593H posted:

That's also very similar to the premise of an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark?, except the protagonist is a girl.

That was my first thought. Major difference being that the girl didn't know why the aliens were trying to abduct her until after they had to leave without her, and her human disguise failed, and they wouldn't be able to come back to get her for years.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

CPL593H posted:

It's been a while since I saw it but I thought they either dropped hints or outright told her at some point. That scene where the chair is moving up to the ceiling and all the freaky looking aliens are reaching out to her is pure nightmare fuel.

I skimmed it a few months ago because its one of the more memorable creepy episodes and I think it was a bunch of "we're going to help you develop telekinesis and we'll tell you all about it later. Ignore how we're also killing your brother" and it isn't fully explained until the aliens have left that "hey, we left you here years ago and weren't able to rescue you this trip. Stay safe until we can come back in a few more years. BTW, you look like a faceless alien now."

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

John Mellencamp was in that movie?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

McCracAttack posted:

Cross posting from the silly questions thread.

Someone already said that sounded like Hell in the Pacific but I seem to remember more than one soldier on each side. Were there any other movies with this plot?

Kong: Skull Island, but its still only two soldiers total. And there is nothing about protecting the water supply. And its mostly a backstory for a supporting character. Also, I feel like you'd remember the giant ape.

Pretty sure this isn't your movie.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

oldpainless posted:

My father the hero?

With soundtrack by pre-"Who Let The Dogs Out" the Baha Men?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Gripweed posted:

I need a complete list of every movie featuring a scene where someone smuggles a gun somewhere in pieces and then assembles it

Did they do that in Con Air, or am I thinking of a different prison break on an airplane?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Medullah posted:

Could be thinking of In the Line of Fire where Malkovich assembled his plastic gun

That's a good guess since it also has Malkovich, but pretty sure I was thinking of US Marshals. It's the only scene I've seen in that movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja_b7d2kzac

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Timby posted:

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.

Also Heart of Glory from season 1 of Next Generation.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
DS9 went back in time to our not too distant future and the cast got locked into the ghetto for homeless people.

I AM GRANDO posted:

It’s like how every “quirky” science fiction character has an interest in mid-20th century Earth popular culture. Even First Contact had James Cromwell require his Deep Purple cassette for their space launch.

Steppenwolf.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Timby posted:

Very near future. The Bell Riots took place in September 2024.

gently caress yeah, I love catching up to sci fi. Coincidentally, I just saw the other day that Gunbuster takes place this year.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Possibly being the most abrasive person to ever live was not the best way to be remembered as a writer.

Also the bit in his most famous story where the black guy has a huge deformed monkey dick.

Look, as someone who kind of likes Ellison, there’s a lot to not like about him. Mostly him.

I can understand huge and/or deformed, but how is a monkey dick fundamentally different from a human dick?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Alan Smithee posted:

drat i must have missed the wacky quantum leaps

all I got were the social justice ones where he plays men of different races and occasionally women

Men and women of different races covers about everyone you'd reasonably expect him to leap into, aside from the space monkey.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Sounds like a joke they would have put in Hudson Hawk, based on the few minutes I've seen of that movie.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Light Gun Man posted:

having a hard time remembering some movie i watched awhile back that i only remember vague details about (of course)

i think it was German, or maybe taking place in Germany, or perhaps somewhere else in Europe, but even that might be way wrong.
the plot had maybe something to do with mind altering / control music or tapes or something?
i want to say the poster and probably at least one sequence involved some kind of trippy imagery of a frog
title may or may not have been something like "vibes" or "waves"

i almost wanna say i saw the poster on SA, but that could indeed also be quite wrong. thanks for reading my poor grasp at possibly nothing.

Just so we're sure, you aren't thinking of the hypnotoad from Futurama, right?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
35 is the new 21.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Disco Pope posted:

A couple from me:

First is a "cursed body part" movie where a guy has a murderous hand. I don't believe it's "The Hand", although 80s would probably be the correct decade. My very fuzzy memory of this is that it was pitched a lot more camp and goofy than "The Hand" and had a scene with body parts floating in green goo. It's not Bride of ReAnimator, just incase the green goo throws people.

Idle Hands?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Disco Pope posted:

Is it K9 rather than canine? Using that terminology for police dogs seems very 80s to me, probably because of the movie of the same name.

It's still common terminology. They'll have it written either on/near the back door if a dog is in the car.

Good puns are timeless. Bad puns don't exist.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Pete's RV from A Goofy Movie?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Looking for whatever movie or show had someone take a police badge and show that it had a pin for stabbing. I can't remember if it's actually used. I was just watching a clip from the Late Show with Stephen Colbert, and he referenced someone being stabbed with a badge, which immediately put that oddly-familiar image in my head of someone showing a badge for stabbing.

This is one where I feel crazy and weird for thinking of it, until the source is shown, and then I can be all 'see? I didn't just think of this on my own.'

I'm pretty sure there's a scene in The Shield where some guys had been impersonating police and Vic, the head dirty cop, picks up one of their fake (stolen?) badges and stabbed them with it.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Was Van Wilder Ryan Reynolds' first major role? I remember never hearing about him before that, and since then, he's been everywhere.

Basically. He was in some other stuff before that but nothing at that level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

therattle posted:

Scooting’ ceiling computer would make a good username.

The avatar is a Sony Aibo dragging it's rear end across the ceiling.