Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Nettle Soup posted:

Looking for a film about a dinner party, probably black and white, proobably British. There might've been two ghosts observing things, but I might also be mixing two films up... It might've been filmed in real time, but I honestly think that's a third film I'm mixing in. Either way I can't find any of them. It wasn't a horror film.

It was sad because they were all getting older and it was most likely the last party where they'd all be together. I found it very boring, but my mum made me watch it, I kinda wanna go back to it now I'm older, but she's dead so I can't ask her what the film was. :(

It wasn't The Shooting Party, but she made me watch that too.

Blithe Spirit? Or maybe The Ghost and Mrs Muir?

Trying to find British films with ghosts but aren’t horror isn’t easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh! The Ghosts of Berkeley Square?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ehud posted:

I saw a trailer last year for a movie that I can’t find. Here’s what I remember...

- There was a bizarre “suburbia but way weirder” vibe throughout the trailer.

- There was a moment in the trailer where a woman gives up her baby to her friend and then a close up as she forces a smile through braces.

- That same woman is later seen looking deranged driving a golf cart.

Anyone have a clue what I’m talking about? I really want to watch it if I can figure out the title!

Definitely last year? It wasn't Suburbicon?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Alright, I'll throw one out there that may or may not be real. The scene is of a character walking in some sort of a tomb/dungeon/etc. when the floor crumbles beneath them and they nearly fall through. We are then shown the reverse shot beneath them of a much larger hidden cavern with a completely different layer of the tomb/dungeon/etc. with the real path forward inside of it. The hidden space was a long rock bridge over a deep cave/chasm that led to a door or exit on the other side, and there may have been a dais on the bridge that held some kind of artifact.

This would have been mid-90s or before. I remember associating it with the Indiana Jones films as a kid, but later realized that the sequence wasn't in any of those films. It's possible that it's from another type of film, possibly a medieval movie or fantasy or even a cartoon, but I remember it as live-action. There were enough Jones ripoffs and parodies over the years that it easily could have been from one of those, or even more likely it could just be my child mind combining the "Word of God" and the "Leap from the Lion's Head" sequences of Last Crusade together. The latter seems most probable, but when I think back to the sequence in my head it's significantly different from those individual sequences.

Yeah, that definitely sounds like Last Crusade.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

That’s definitely Ghostwatch then. And the hosts were household names in UK.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Trying to remember a rom com from the 50s/60s/70s where the woman is very ditsy. The male lead is annoyed by her antics throughout but accepts her good nature at the end. I’m sorry that’s really all I can remember. I think it was in color

You’ve just described the screwball comedy genre.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bringing Up Baby?

I still think we’re being trolled here.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

There was a horror movie coming out before everything shut down that looked good. 2 kids stuck in a cabin with their step mother/dad's girlfriend and she starts going crazy. Anyone remember the title?

E: The Lodge, found is 2 seconds later

It came out, and it’s a horror thread favourite!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Phyein posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nny-VL6WWos

The clip comes in at about 5:35. Men questioning a woman under hypnosis about stolen paintings. Sounds like an older film. Tried doing some googling about stolen art movies but can't seem to find one that fits what's going on in this clip and I can't make out the names. It's a pretty odd sample for a dark ambient track but the woman's performance is definitely pretty chilling in the context of the track.

I can just make out someone saying 'This is the man called X', which coincidentally is the name of a radio serial from the 40s/50s, and a TV series in the 50s. Episodes are available to listen here.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

That sounds like HH Holmes’ murder castle in Chicago, so I’d look for films based on that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I remember trying to help a friend find a film he’d seen years ago as a kid. He was describing plot elements, and I was sure it was a certain film from the 80s, but he was adamant that it must have been from the 60s or earlier because it was in black and white. We eventually gave up, and then months later he messaged me to say he’d found it, and that it was the film I’d described. It turned out he’d been talking to his mum, and she’d reminded him that as a kid he’d had a black and white tv in his room.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Freakazoid_ posted:

Out of sheer grit and determination sifting through hundreds of native american documentaries, I finally found what I was looking for.

Inventing the Indian, by Rich Hall.

Rich Hall is not short. But yes, dark and snarky. I like his The Dirty South docu.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Or that one X-Files episode with the regrown salamander limb.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My CVanD story is that I tweeted that I thought I saw him in London, and he personally replied to say it wasn’t him. I didn’t @ him, so he’s just searching for himself on Twitter all day apparently.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Watching Soul has reminded me of an American 80s film. I think it’s got observers from the afterlife watching a guy on earth go through various trials and they’re doing VO commentary on how he’s doing. The two observer voices are a man and a woman.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Trevor Hale posted:

Defending Your Life?

I think it might be this?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Not quite what you've mentioned but there was a sitcom about almost the same thing, called "Herman's Head".

Maybe with a side of this?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Other Amy Santiago does it in an ep of Brooklyn 99

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56NmxyElmT4

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also check out Maurice Lemarche (voice of Egon in The Real Ghostbusters, Brain from Pinky and the Brain), apparently he does a killer Orson Welles impression (voice only, of course). That might lead to something?

I just watched the RGB episode 'Ghostbuster of the Year' which has a ton of Citizen Kane references throughout, and gets LaMarche additionally doing his Orson Welles all over the place.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

MisterFister posted:

Anybody remember a super low budget sci-fi/horror movie from a few years ago where I think a guy takes a drug and starts running from something and reality starts getting hosed up as he does? This one is driving me crazy because I am starting to think I made it up.

Maybe Waking Life or A Scanner Darkly? Or going back a few years, Naked Lunch?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh hey, the full film is on Youtube.

Edit: a VERY similar looking scene happens at the 48:00 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhLNA6c9dj0&t=2889s

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 28, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

If it wasn't for the other guy, I'd say you were mentally smooshing together several different memories into one. It sounds so much like the giant gatekeeper mech from Labyrinth.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

this is from last year but I think I finally identified it, A New Leaf starring Walter Matthau. Gonna watch it today

Your initial description was so vague and generic, I genuinely thought you were trolling. My first thought was to pick absolutely any film starring Kathryn Hepburn.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hannibal Rex posted:

A long time ago, I caught a few snippets of a Hammer-ish gothic horror film from the 60s or 70s. I mainly remember two blond siblings, boy and girl, who may or may not have been murderous and/or satanic. I'm not sure if they were children or young adults. The setting was an English country manor or similar. I seem to recall a stone bird bath in the garden. Maybe a murder with bow and arrow?

Sounds like one of the many Turn of the Screw adaptations. Maybe The Innocents? Was it black and white?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

I'm sorry to add another identification request for highly disturbing sexual violence, but I remember coming across the following scene on Bravo (UK) probably about 22 years ago:

A guy is going down on a woman in a very cheap TV movie looking bedroom, I remember this guy being kind of wiry. The lighting was all saturated pinks/greens and the set had that minimalist noir look (venetian blinds, potted plant, bed and bookcase). The door is burst open (shotgun blast?) and a bulky pimp archetype guy enters with his goons. They have some kind of vendetta with the wiry guy and pull him off the bed, cut his tongue out and throw it at the woman saying "finish the job yourself". I remember being a little horrified but it was also incredibly camp and corny. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

My mind goes to The Cook, The Thief, His Wife, and her Lover for some reason.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

TerraCat posted:

Possibly a James Bond movie.

I remember a scene where the hero kills a guy with a rivet gun and says "riveting."

Was it Darkman? I remember there's a rivet gun fight in that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I saw a bit of a weird Japanese film while I was in college. The scene I saw was about broke hungry students making their own ‘fried eggs’ by jizzing into a frying pan and cooking it. It would have been pre-2010, but definitely modern day.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

westborn posted:

The Korean movie "Sex is Zero" has a very similar scene.

Oh, it’s probably that, and I just assumed Japan. Thanks!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It’s not The Specials, is it?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My first thought is that Goatman creepypasta for some reason. They made a short (27mins) film out of that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Allyn posted:

Managed to straight up brute force it by checking every single one of my 3.5 and 3.0 ratings in order until it showed up: Head Count (2018). Apparently much more straight up supernatural horror than I remember. Huh.

But thanks for the effort anyway, appreciate it :)

Ohh, looking it up, it’s based on the Goatman thing, so I was a bit right!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

which Goatman thing

Anansi’s creepypasta

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

My first thought for 2 is Doctor Who, but it’s probably not that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8Tn7GiBkUo

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

bring back the titcom

I had my own search for a titcom film I saw as a kid. I remember it being a raunchy boys comedy where this trio of guys were trying to see/touch/get with boob. I looked for years, and everyone kept telling me it was Porkys, but I knew it wasn’t. Eventually I found it, and it was a dubbed Israeli film, Hot Bubblegum, which was somehow the 3rd in a franchise of films called Lemon Popsicle. How I ended up seeing it, I’ve no idea.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

SpaceCamp also contributed to my certainty that I was space-bound

I’m from the UK, and we went to Florida on holiday when I was about 10, visiting the Kennedy Space Centre. I was so surprised to learn Space Camp was an actual real thing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

drat, that’s a scene. :stare:

https://youtu.be/fJ4LNIshI4o

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

That’s absolutely Us. From 2019.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYvxbtiGvrk

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

God, Family Guy is utter dreck.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Vorenus posted:

I vaguely remember seeing a movie on TV as a child (sometime mid 90s to 2000) wherein someone was in the desert and found people trapped in pods filled with blue goo. IIRC the people were duplicated and a character was possibly facing off against his own clone?

Having googled this I obviously came across Invasion of the Body Snatchers but upon further looking that isn't it.

Is it The Island?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It sounds like Total Recall mixed with a few other things, but I’d be super intrigued to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

is it any good? John Carpenter, 80s, guys from Big Trouble and other notable horror movie peoples....sounds promising

It’s no The Thing, but it’s a good time, yeah! It’s got this fantastic feeling of dread the entire time.