Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Astrochicken posted:

This movie I think about every now and then and I saw it a bunch of times when I was very little which is wildly inappropriate in hindsight. there's a haunted house ? a man snorts a lot of cocaine and gives a woman an orgasm with his mind. Uhh There's also a black mammy housemaid or something.

No haunted house, although there is freaky stuff. You're describing Modern Problems to a T.

Check out this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz7z_Ga2e5Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yes, it is very odd when you see something that got stuck in your brain 30 years prior but haven't revisited since. Really shows the fallibility of memory.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

If you guys want an ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE story about that sensation - one that literally gave me goosebumps - check this out:

https://gimletmedia.com/shows/reply-all/o2h8bx

It's about a guy who can remember a hit song that literally *no one* else can remember and there's *no trace of it online*. It's wild.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

regulargonzalez posted:

It was more so the fact that after not hearing the song for decades, and not having any formal musical training, he was able to direct musicians to making a practically note-perfect rendition. When they compared the two songs, the real and the reproduction, I was agog at how similar they were

This was exactly how I felt. Just the fact that the guy in question could get it 95% percent accurate from a 20+ year old memory is wild.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yes the joke was that Simmons was a very obvious confirmed bachelor, it was gay bashing and nothing more. Remember that gays had no representation at all beyond campy weirdos like "Serge" in Beverly Hills Cop or "Hollywood" in Mannequin or w/e so the idea of a feminine eccentric gay person was a novelty that could get cheap laughs. One that people still largely hadn't gotten over until sometime after Brokeback Mountain, sadly.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

That movie has a few legit good scenes, including the one where the guy gets mind-controlled to jump from the top of the Empire State Building...while fully being aware he doesn't want to do that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

A MIRACLE posted:

I remember seeing a how its made clip during film studies class back in college. It was one of the earliest examples of using a camera on a big crane for this shot of a balcony. I think the balcony might have been a set piece and floating in the air or something, not really attached to a building. it seemed to be a mediterranean vibe and it might have been a Fellini movie or was just while we were on the Italian cinema chapter or maybe not at all! I don't remember. does this ring any bells?

There's a very famous and technically difficult crane shot in Tenebrae, is this it? There's Italian women and boobs and a murder (but no balcony) in the following sequence, so viewer beware:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eDtzdKktTw

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Zopotantor posted:

beaten, but I just have to post the awesome ending
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS_70MdRm5I

When I first saw this movie on HBO in the early 80s I loved the ending song. Had no idea who the Beatles were or anything, just knew that final song ripped.

"All the dreams you've ever had...and not just the nice ones..." is a great tagline for a movie, too.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Isn't there something like that in Strange Days? It's been a long time but I recall there's something like that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

hexwren posted:

asking about samples reminds me of one I haven't been able to crack, google's been no help, even though it seems like a really easy one to figure out. it may be the sort of thing where I'm feeding it the wrong part of the sentence or just scrolling past a link that doesn't look useful but has the answer or whatever

it's the clip at the beginning of "puddle of blood" by hard girls

"you see, i know you're not real, man. 'cause i'm loaded, okay? i've had some experience in that area. besides, that whole rap of yours is bull, anyway: good, evil, it's all the same crap. rock and roll's the only thing that counts, dig? hard rear end blistering awesome heavy metal rock and roll."

It's from an episode of a Swamp Thing show.
http://gone-and-forgotten.blogspot.com/2017/01/if-you-see-swamp-thing-say-swamp-thing.html?m=1

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Retro Futurist posted:

I’m trying to remember an actor, but I can’t think of his name or anything he’s been in specifically and it’s driving me nuts. He’s a character actor, not a leading man type, and I feel like he usually plays bad guys or at least smarmy types. He’s got one of those kind of tight faces, usually wears glasses and is balding. Kind of reminds me of a skinny John Carroll Lynch. Please help

Is there any chance at all you can name the years he was active? Like, you first saw him in 1996 or something like that?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Retro Futurist posted:

I'm starting to think he's an Amalgam character I made up or something :tinfoil:

To be honest the first guy I thought of was the dude who played Harry from Total Recall but he's not thin and also no one could forget that guy! "OH YEAH! RECALL, RE-CALL, REE-CAALL!!!!!"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Heavy Metal posted:

A while back I was looking for a cheesy fun movie I saw on SyFy back in the day, with Max Payne-esque noirisms a plenty. That movie is Matthew Blackheart: Monster Smasher. So good!

We need more movies with outrageous hard boiled one liner observations nonstop. Such a fine artform.

You might be interested in Cast a Deadly Spell.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Sir Nose posted:

I think there's a scene like that in Erin Brokovich?

100%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3ZhaGeqX6o

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

For me, it's Oz. But wow, I just went back to listen to the Dream On theme song and every note just came back to me, even though I haven't heard that music in, at this point, over 20 years. Crazy.

Read your post, had not heard it since the early 90s and decided to see if it was true for me too.

It was.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

EclecticTastes posted:

That's another film I have actually seen and remember quite clearly, and no, these were toys that nobody would ever mistake for being humanoid, and I cannot stress enough, Hollywood had nothing at all to do with it. Though, focusing on the memory has caused a little more to surface, that being that the toys were, I believe, wind-up toys. Also, in case I wasn't clear enough, I'm pretty sure they had big, googly eyes on their blocky plastic frames. But, yeah, this is something that was probably never seen outside a classroom setting.

EDIT: To be more specific, when I say "Wind-up toy" I don't mean the old-fashioned kind with the big key, I mean the kind that was common throughout the eighties and nineties, with the little white nub.

Where The Toys Come From?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0331711/

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I think you might be describing Silent Warnings (2003). It's a very inelegant fit but it played pretty widely on the Sci-Fi channel which is why I'm picking it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'm sitting here wondering why Big Trouble in Little China isn't getting mentioned so let's correct that.

"China is in the heart, Jack. Wherever I go, she'll be with me."

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'm trying to remember this movie, it's a scene that's been playing out in my head and I just can't remember it. Once I get the name it will be so much better for me.

It's almost certainly an 80s or very early 90s movie.

There's a father and either his wife or son. There has been some financial problem and they're struggling with money (iirc this may have been engineered by the father, but I'm not sure). They invent a stationary bike with a screen on it (so that people feel like they're going somewhere when riding) and are very excited about the prospect. When they go to discuss it with someone, they see that they're already selling that kind of bike. "How's it selling?" someone asks, and the salesman says "Oh, very well."

That's it, that's the scene. It's driving me crazy because I can see certain details but have forgotten everyone's faces and the context! Memory, man!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Hughlander posted:

Complete AI bullshit. Manhattan project has single mom meet cute a guy that works at a nuclear lab. Son breaks in and steals super plutonium to make a nuclear bomb to win a science fair.

Yeah, note to everyone: ChatGPT is not a general AI. It doesn't know what a movie is, or a scene, or anything like that. Unless a large organization had bothered to write a full transcription/novelization of every film ever made it couldn't answer these questions with any kind of accuracy.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

This sounds like Target Earth, but it's been literally decades since I watched that. I recall the people being inside and some sound effects from the robots coming from off-screen, but I am not sure if there was booming stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I'm almost certain some of these elements are from The Fortune Cookie (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fortune_Cookie) featuring Jack Lemmon and Walther Matthau, although the movie doesn't follow nearly any of the plot beats you mentioned.