Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
All this train talk got me thinking of a scene. I think I probably saw it mid-90s, and the movie was probably new or only a few years old at that point, but I'm not sure. All I remember is two guys handcuffed together, and they are crossing a train bridge. The train starts coming, and they hang themselves from the bridge in such a way that the chain of the handcuffs is draped over the track so the train will cut it when it goes by. I think they drop into a river after the chain breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

I think I am thinking of Fled, I seem to recall Stephen Baldwin's doofy face. The scene doesn't play out like I thought, but the train breaking the chain might be from something else though. Thanks.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

What's the narration from at the beginning of this song?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr-rrtnQdIg

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Thanks!

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

An undercover cop/FBI agent/something like that goes on a boat to talk with the bad guys he's trying to investigate. They have a guy tied up because they found he's undercover, and they tell the agent that just came on the boat to shoot him to prove he's not a cop. He takes the gun and pulls the trigger, but nothing happens. They trust him and say they'll take care of the tied up guy themselves. They all get busted and when the cop unties the other one, the one being held captive asks the other how he knew the gun wasn't loaded, and he tells him he could tell by the weight of the gun. I feel like the cop was played by someone like Eastwood, if not Eastwood himself, but I can't remember enough about the movie to discern it from other cop movies. I'm pretty sure this scene was the beginning of the movie, meant to establish the main character's cop prowess, and I don't remember if the guys on the boat were relevant to the rest of the movie or if they were just for that scene.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Thanks.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Rio Bravo was made by him and Hawks as a response to High Noon (which was critical of blacklisting/McCarthyism), which Wayne thought was un-American. Might be what you're thinking of.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Thinking of a scene where someone is in a cab, and as they get out, when the driver asks for money, the person, who has some ability to tell people what to do, tells them they need gas. The driver looks at the gauge, which is full or nearly so, and agrees with the person. They tell the driver there's a gas station just down the road, which is in reality I think either a fuel tank or a parked fuel truck, which the driver takes off toward. I think the driver says something like "This must be my lucky day!" before crashing and exploding.

At first I thought it was one of the 'Pusher' X-Files episodes, since my roommate and I started watching them again a few months back, but we've since gone through far enough to see both of them, and it wasn't that, though something somewhat similar happens in the first of those episodes. I'm thinking it was from a movie now, and the character might not have been a human with a special power, but a supernatural being that looked human.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Thanks! For some reason I had it in my head that it was something like 'End of Days' where it was the devil doing it.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Rory Calhoun?!

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

What's this from?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Okay so this is a crazy rear end one and it's a music video and not a movie. So anyway it's a video for a song by a French synthpop band about this lady who is a serial killer that seduces men and kills them in comically graphic ways that are very Evil Dead 2ish. It's a whole horror comedy thing and meant to look like the 80s. At the beginning of the video she cuts off a dude's ballsack and then kills his friend by throwing the ballsack in his mouth. It ends with her looking very excited about being attacked by the zombies of all the men she killed.

Oh and also, I saw it before Knife + Heart in a theater. I have no idea if that was just a thing the specific theater did or if it was in a bunch of places. It's the Brattle in Cambridge, MA. Knife + Heart was part of an LGBTQ film fest they do every year.

:nws: of course.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDH4ycjI6K4

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

No problem. I tried looking at the schedule that year for the fest you brought up, but there was no mention of I could see, but then I had the idea to check out the extra features on the disc version and saw it mentioned there, if you liked the movie enough to want a physical copy of it and the music video.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

I remember watching a movie on Sci Fi channel as a lad about a priest with some kind of knife-hand and some woman and a couple American Indians teaming up to fight the Wendigo (who's in league with Satan or is Satan or something)? Does this ring a bell to anyone?

I'm thinking The Minion with Dolph Lundgren. He's got a spiked gauntlet, and while I don't think it's actually a wendigo, I think the native characters make reference to the evil force as such, though it's been a long time since I've seen it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Minion

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

I think Come and See is probably the most effective antiwar film I've ever seen. It's great, but goddamn is it hard to watch and utterly depressing, as any film about that particular subject should be.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Return of the Living Dead.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

It's pretty great. Don't know if it's streaming for free anywhere, but it's worth a rental at least, if not a purchase if you really like it.

Edit: Just had a random memory of a WW2 film I saw a long time ago. I think it's probably from the late-50s/early-60s, pretty sure it was B&W. I think it was set in Africa, and showed scenes from both Germans and allied soldiers (can't remember if they were Brits or Americans). The one scene in my head is probably later in the film, two German soldiers are talking, and one of them is fed up with everything and starts insulting Hitler or something like that. The other German kills him, and I have this image of the dead man rolling down a sand dune.

Detective Thompson fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 4, 2022

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Yeah, that's it. Obviously got some details wrong, like the arguing soldiers not being both German and especially with it being a film actually made during the war. Thanks.

SaintFu posted:

It’s not in B&W, but there’s a scene exactly like this in The Big Red One.

Not it, but I haven't seen this in a long time either and I think it might have a scene that also popped into my head awhile back. American soldiers are moving into an Italian village after killing the German soldiers there and the women of the village start hacking up the bodies of German soldiers with farming implements. Is that from Big Red One?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Thanks.

Trevor Hale posted:

I know this is going to sound weird, but Jim Belushi starred in a really good remake of Sahara

Huh.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Was browsing Instagram the other day, and as I closed it, I briefly saw something that looked familiar, but I couldn't place it. Don't know if it's even from a movie. Could be a TV show or even an ad. It was a screenshot of a doctor examining someone's mouth with a tongue depressor, but the shot is from inside the mouth, with the mouth being a clearly oversized prop for perspective.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Pretty sure it's Dr. Giggles. Found an image of that shot and he's got the tongue depressor and all, and I would have seen that movie once ages ago, so that triggered a vague memory of it. Thanks.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

The Twilight Zone/Outer Limits talk about astronauts finding a similar planet to Earth reminded me of an episode of one of those with a similar plot. A couple astronauts land on a planet, but everything there is huge. I seem to recall them trying to get away from a giant woman, who I seem to remember was a babushka type grandma. I can't remember if they get away or not. I believe it turns out they're small aliens that look like humans that have landed on Earth.

Another one that just came to mind from one of those series, was about a home being besieged by a giant. I remember a car, maybe a police car, being overturned and there beings a giant fingerprint on the car. Don't recall much else.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sir Nose posted:

Twilight Zone episode "The Invaders". The set-up is the woman is in a remote farmhouse fighting these little aliens who crashed on her roof. The twist is at the very end we learn that she is not an earth woman fighting tiny aliens, rather we're on another planet and she is a giant alien woman fighting earth astronauts.

That's it. I misremembered the twist, obviously. Thanks.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Not sure if this from a movie or a TV show, or the exact context, but I have this line in my head that goes, "What's wrong with you? What, didn't get hugged enough as a kid?". Probably not the exact wording, but something like that. I feel like it's the hero saying it to the villain, but not sure.