Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

What's that movie where a fast food joint employee discovers that the music that plays at the restaurant can be used to effect the minds of the customers? He plays a tape and a fight breaks out, etc. It's a kind of cyberpunk dystopian vision, dealing with mind control.

I tried searching & looked through a "Mind Control List" on IMDB, but could not find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

having a hard time remembering some movie i watched awhile back that i only remember vague details about (of course)

i think it was German, or maybe taking place in Germany, or perhaps somewhere else in Europe, but even that might be way wrong.
the plot had maybe something to do with mind altering / control music or tapes or something?
i want to say the poster and probably at least one sequence involved some kind of trippy imagery of a frog
title may or may not have been something like "vibes" or "waves"

i almost wanna say i saw the poster on SA, but that could indeed also be quite wrong. thanks for reading my poor grasp at possibly nothing.

I think this is the same movie as I'm looking for here:

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

What's that movie where a fast food joint employee discovers that the music that plays at the restaurant can be used to effect the minds of the customers? He plays a tape and a fight breaks out, etc. It's a kind of cyberpunk dystopian vision, dealing with mind control.

I tried searching & looked through a "Mind Control List" on IMDB, but could not find it.

I also think I found out about it from SA.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

yo, talked to a friend of mine and he recalled the title.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decoder_%28film%29

That's it, thanks!

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Asking for a friend:

quote:

I'm looking for a short film of one of the famous
producers, Spielberg I think with a small possibility it was
Lukas instead, from the time before fame. The short film was set
on some cruise ship, and had some angel female actor, so people
started falling in love around her, and another male actor, I think one
of the bearded heavies, Orson Welles or Peter Ustinov, around who
people get depressed and suicide by jumping overboard; and then,
these characters meet and have a dialog, like 'what are you doing
there' - 'why, we both interfere', something like that
I think it was on a film roll with more shorts
of that producer, and I watched that in some art cinema once, or
on TV
another short on that roll was about some piano
player and composer who was so ambitious that there was some dark
murder story behind the musical surface, based on artistic
jealousy or competitivity
both were tongue-in-cheek movies in black and
white, but not evident no-budget shorts

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

HELLOMYNAMEIS___ posted:

Asking for a friend:

In another thread where I accidentally posted this description first, I got the answer that it's this Amazing Stories episode. Since that seems very close to what is remembered and the episode has a Spielberg writing credit, it could be a case of reusing a script, or memory playing its tricks with regard to eg. the black-and-white coloring.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

What's a horror movie that has a "Phurba"/Vajra dagger knife as a central plot element? I remember the movie revolves around demonic possession, and someone gets stabbed with the Phurba.

I saw this movie just a few years ago, and don't remember too much, but it was already dated when I saw it, so maybe made in the 80s/90s? I'm not talking about The Shadow, which apparently also features a Phurba.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Hannibal Rex posted:

The Golden Child.

I found this movie while looking, but I haven't seen it, so it's not that.

The one I'm thinking of had some kind of older gentleman who was a researcher/scholar, and also owner of the phurba. Then there's a female lead, and the guy who gets stabbed, but I can't remember much about them.

I realize this isn't much to go on, but I don't think I imagined this movie, as it's the first place I learned about the phurba, and if that came out of my imagination, well, that'd be interesting.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Opopanax posted:

There's that creepy one from The Shadow, too, but thst doesn't possess anyone

Ah, maybe I wasn't being clear: the phurba doesn't do the possessing, instead, it's used to try and get rid of the possessing demon.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

You don’t mean the Kandarian Dagger from Evil Dead II, do you? It’s about demonic possession, Annie gets stabbed with the dagger in the climax, and it came out in the 80’s. Just surprised that was more memorable than the dude with a chainsaw hand.

Alternatively, maybe you got the time very wrong and you mean Freaky, a body swap slasher that has being stabbed with phurba-like dagger as the mechanic of swapping bodies?

It's neither of these, sorry. Yeah I guess the Kandarian Dagger is kind of similar in that it's a spiritually charged bladed weapon, but the phurba in this movie was a traditional, triple-bladed type.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

phurba meaning like a triangular blade?

could be you are actually thinking of an episode of supernatural? it deals with possession a lot, often involving triangular blades used to defeat the possessor.

Nah, this was a feature movie. I guess it's too obscure; I can't remember how I found it, or any actors, so it may be a lost cause.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Have you checked the Internet Movie Knife DataBase?

No, as I had forgotten the existence of such a thing! That's a great lead, however, searches for "phurba", "vajra" and "ceremonial" returned 0 results, and "dagger" had three hits, none of which were this movie.

Thanks for the reminder, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

therattle posted:

I still don’t know if the IMKDB is real or not.

https://imkdb.fandom.com/wiki/IMKDB_Wiki

Yeah ok it's just a Fandom Wiki with 49 pages.