Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Cornwind Evil posted:

Some Asian film where there's some crazy sex scene which is basically 'sex if sex was also a low key Dragon Ball Z fight' with a male/female couple.

There was this popular wire-fu fight/sex scene video years ago of what seemed at the time specifically like a Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon parody. Apparently it's actually from a 1994 movie called "A Chinese Torture Chamber Story" - an "erotic black comedy". Maybe that's what you're remembering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

JordanKai posted:

I believe it was a heightened reality action movie kind of deal, with a lot of gore and stylish editing (the trailer did, at least). It got a lot of buzz because pretty much every single significant name in South Korean cinema was signed onto it. I remember the trailer having all the names flash up one after another like it was The Godfather or something.

This sounds like something I should have at least heard of, but nothing really fitting comes to mind right now. Most star-studded action movies releases with buzz since 2017 I can think of had some very distinctive features I would assume you would remember (Like the "Along with the Gods" movies, "Ashfall", "Rampart" or "Peninsula").

Believer, maybe?
There's a very slight chance it's Extreme Job - an action comedy that's rather light on the action (and gore), but has some stylish fight scenes and a trailer that somewhat fits the description (even though the flashing names aren't all that significant), if you ignore the comedic tone of most of it.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

JordanKai posted:

I don't think it's any of these either, but there are some cool-looking films on here that I'll definitely be adding to my watchlist. Thanks!

Well, Peninsula for one was definitely not meant as a recommendation...

Was it maybe Illang: The Wolf Brigade (2018)?
Not really star studded, but it's got some gritty action and had some western recognition due to it being a live-action remake of the anime "Jin-Roh".

I doubt it would have made it into that thread, but it's not the re-release of Memories of Murder, is it? But that trailer only dropped two months ago.

If it's not one of those, here's some other more or less fitting candidates:

Battleship Island (2017) - Stars, Japanese setting, gritty action
Assassination (2015) - Stars, Hype, Japanese setting, action
Real (2017) - Chinese/Korean production, stylish action
Asura: City of Madness (2016) - Gritty, gory action
Fabricated City (2017) - Stylish action
Nameless Gangster (2012) - Star studded, Hype, gritty

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

JordanKai posted:

Oh, is Peninsula not good? :( I was excited to watch it since I really like Train to Busan.
It's not Train to Busan 2, it's "Train to Busan presents:" - no real direct connection, it's literally just set in the world after the events of TtB, but is much more cheesy/cartoonish.
It has a few good moments, but is overall rather lame and the climax is "The Fast and the Fury Road: Incheon Drift". A post apocalyptic chase through a city with bad CGI cars and Fast & Furious physics, but (at least to me) not as enjoyable silly as F&F5+. The ending is a dragged out mess.
Ashfall is polished schlock, pretty much Korea's answer to Emmerich. Can be enjoyed with your brain off, but your mileage may vary.
Also, if you somehow want to watch only one of the two unrelated but coincidentally very similar Josen era zombie thingies, watch the show Kingdom instead of Rampant.

JordanKai posted:

I think all of the names signed onto it weren't necessarily superstars, but genre favourite, either from action or from horror. I'm also not at all sure that it was a South Korean or Japanese film. Maybe it was from Hong Kong? The only thing I'm fairly sure about is that it was an East Asian film.

South East Asian, but maybe it's Triple Threat (2019), with, among others, Tony Jaa (Ong-Bak) and Iko Uwais (The Raid)?

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

I have another one. I recently rewatched Lost in Translation and the part where the prostitute is like "rip my stockings" at the hotel, I thought I remembered bill murray throwing an ashtray through a two way mirror in the room and revealing the hotel manager with a camera crew trying to film the indecentness.. what movie was that?

Probably Die Another Day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kOj30HOB2w&t=69s

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

human garbage bag posted:

There was an aminated movie I watched as a kid where a boy (and a girl I think) build a castle by just running around and the bricks fall in place under their feet.

Unlikely that you'd misremember Obelix building a small wall by dropping bricks for a boy (and a girl) building a castle, but this made me think of this scene (~59 min if the time stamp doesn't work) from Asterix & Cleopatra.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010
More like something else to discard because it's pretty obviously not it (as I see no real similarities otherwise), but I just stumbled upon a "medieval" episode from The Wild Wild West that features a tall knight suit being operated by a little person (not a fantasy dwarf). The actual title of the episode is apparently "The Night of the Green Terror", not what the YouTube video says.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

I saw a bit of a weird Japanese film while I was in college. The scene I saw was about broke hungry students making their own ‘fried eggs’ by jizzing into a frying pan and cooking it. It would have been pre-2010, but definitely modern day.

The Korean movie "Sex is Zero" has a very similar scene.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Bula Vinaka posted:

Still looking for an extremely obscure movie I saw in the mid 2000's on cable. White Whale thread had no idea.

It's a bit old for internet references, but I'll throw "Man Facing Southeast" in the room - just because it's the most fitting one that came up in a quick search for "movies similar to K-Pax", which might be a route you could check out, if you haven't done so already...

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Opopanax posted:

Pretty sure Headcount is based on the goatman story. Like, explicitly

I remember from when we had basically the same search and replies like one page ago.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

CaptainN posted:

Here's one I've been trying to remember for the past 20 years....or it may have been a dream I had as a kid.

Not the greatest match, but I'll throw Crow from Hawk the Slayer in the room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tjqlCM4Yz4

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

mmmmalo posted:

In Inglourious Basterds, what film is on the poster behind Shosanna at the beginning of Chapter 5, as she prepares for German Night? The full text is obscured. My best guess is Fraulein Doktor (it's a Nazi spy thriller, which would fit) but that movie's from 1969 and none of the posters of it I've found seem to match the poster depicted anyway.

It is "Fräulein Doktor" - but it's a fictional movie starring Bridget von Hammersmark.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Lord Stimperor posted:

Someone told me to ask this here, so here it goes. Feverdream or movie?

Doesn't quite match up, but just to get it out of the way: The F-16 scene in Jewel of the Nile

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

I keep thinking of a movie that I feel like used it as a movie within a movie scene, like the characters were watching it in a theater? I don't remember a thing about it or even if I'm making it up in my head

Going by the IMDB Connections page, it might be Zeroville, where it was watched in a theater and featured throughout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Hmmmm.... I don't think that's it. I feel like the poster had four ladies on it, wearing that kinda brownish corduroy material.

This makes me think Bad Girls, too, despite the release date.
...and also not a real fit at all, but for some reason the initial description made me think you might be misremembering fragments of Sucker Punch.