Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

In gathering a random assortment of posters for the that thread, I'm suddenly unable remember a film I saw as a kid. It was a comedy, probably from around 1990.

Whoever the good guy was essentially kidnapped his child near the end of the film. Her name was Meg and at the time she was mute. As part of the kidnapping, Meg was given a short haircut and referred to as Jonathan to fool the police. Dad or his accomplice pretended to be a pregnant woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

That's it. I had no memory of the plot revolving around a bank robbery. Reading the summary, it sounds pretty dire.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Origami Dali posted:

I find it kind of crazy that no one has digitized all the back issues of TV Guide. You can barely find anything.

You can find several on Internet Archive

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Schistosity posted:

I searched so much tonight for it and came up with nothing. Thank you! That's totally it.

It's based on a book by Virginia Hamilton and is pretty darn spooky for a young adult novel.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Here's a film I saw in about 1990 as a rental.

I can only remember part of one scene.

Teenage-ish boy and girl are somewhere, perhaps a cave. She's trying to tell him that something is an illusion and you can see a brick wall with gold or colored bricks appear and vanish, like it was all in his mind. I seem to remember a castle illusion as well or some sort of fancy background.

Seeing Nightwatch in the post above reminded me of it because Night Train is sticking with me as a title. There is a 1988 Disney TV movie "Night Train to Kathmandu" that seems right on the surface. However, it's been uploaded to YouTube and skimming through it, I don't see any scenes that match those I remembering. There is a cave scene, but no bricks. (Also, would you have been able to rent Disney TV movies?)

I don't know if I'm just missing it in this movie or if the wrong title's been in my head all these years.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I can think of just enough bits to describe it, but not enough to narrow it down for Google.

Vampire(-ish) film, maybe late 60s, early 70s. I think it was someone's college project and the director might have played the bad guy. A blonde girl - the actress wasn't a young teen, but looked young enough to be one - stays at a house with an older woman (aunt?). There's a bath scene. I think she's wearing a white gown. There's a scary scene in the house and in the end she's running around the property, alone, on an extended chase. Pretty sure she's bitten at the end.

There were extended bits with a minister. Maybe a funeral flashback or something.

Really low budget and the print looked like rear end. I think it was entirely a night shoot, except for the indoor church scenes.

e: it was a color film.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 20, 2021

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Sir Nose posted:

Period piece or contemporary?

Contemporary. The minister scenes were in a very 1960s-looking church.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Yes. Thank you for making sense of that garbled plot memory.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I saw this movie in the mid-1990s, but it has to date from 5 or so years earlier.

A high school teacher assigns his students a project about making money through the stock market. In his classroom is a computer where they can make their picks and track them.

One boy discovers the computer is actually connected to the real stock market. He somehow has knowledge about a technology thing that is about to go huge and places his money on that. It goes huge and he makes loads of real money off of it. Then it's found out that somebody was insider training and I think he hides the money or something. We watched it in economics class and I don't know if we ever saw the ending.

insider trading movie + hiigh school isn't getting me anywhere on Google.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

pseudorandom posted:

I had to do a bunch of digging, including finding a reddit post describing the same movie but which was also unanswered, but I think I found it. Is it In Your Wildest Dreams?

Origami Dali posted:

In Your Wildest Dreams

That has to be it. While trying to confirm it a little better, I came across this weird as hell review on Amazon.

quote:

this wholesome, family friendly film exceeded every expectation i had. the hero of the film takes you on a journey of cunning, courage and wits against the evil school bullies who steal stocks for their own gain. the young mark andrews, who abuses his family at every chance he gets, sets out to ruin an electronics empire from the inner jealousy he harbors. mark andrews painstakingly stalks a local day trader and attempts to bring him down simply because of the car he drives. luckily, the seasoned car enthusiast sees through the sham deal and forces the young mr. andrews into a showdown of wits.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

A dumb thought I had was something with Jeffrey Falcon, but that was partially because of some chatter I'd heard around 20 years ago that he'd spent time in mainland China, but I don't see anything on his IMDB that seems to tie into what you're describing.

However, the UIUC and 1996-1998 window you provide DOES offer up one glimmer of help, but probably not much:

The Octopus or Daily Illini newspaper archives? If ANY backissues were digitized and archived online somewhere, I'm guessing there would be some sort of promotional thing for it which also would possibly include titles or images that might help.

Downside: I'm not finding any evidence that any of them were ever saved in a digital format, which is both understandable and strange.

Some of 1998's offerings:
- Zu: Warriors of the Magic Mountain
- Once Upon a Time in China and America
- Shanghai Grand
- Last Hurrah for Chivalry

Chicago's regular newspapers have bits and pieces of coverage of the various film fests. The 1998 festival was the 10th dedicated Hong Kong film fest, but Hong Kong films had also been featured in other Chicago international movie festivals, it seems.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The tune of something is sticking in my head and it won't leave. It's from a cartoon, probably some special that aired on the holidays.

The brief scene with the tune was a little girl washing a pet. She's singing a tune and is very hyperactive. It's gibberish in my head but had actual words. The scene goes on for a while with the kid dancing while lots of bubbles are flying.

My memory is that it's not her pet and she's somehow ended up with the confused star of whatever special this was that got lost and ended up in the little girl's house. It's possibly from a Garfield or Snoopy special and I would have been watching this thing from a window of about 1988-92, so a traditional animation style.

If it's not Peanuts or Garfield, it would have been from a mainstream cartoon of that era.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

filmcynic posted:

It's from Snoopy, Come Home! ... Yeah, that song is going to linger for a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYjqDZ2KFGU&t=98s

Wow. That's quick. I thought that way too vague, but that's indeed it. I do remember renting Snoopy Come Home at the local VHS place, probably more than once.

I don't know why that song reentered my head after 30 years, but it's here and it's not going away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

DRINK ME posted:

Thanks all. Good suggestions but apart from 28 weeks later I don’t think they’re what I was thinking about. It’s British so I don’t think it was 28 weeks later but all I really recall of that movie is thinking it wasn’t as good as the first one.

The more I search the more I’m starting to think that I saw the siege, forgot it and now I’m thinking about the same movie I just saw and getting confused.

The Mouse That Roared fits those qualities, but I'm 150% sure that isn't what you're thinking about at all.