Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

VideoGames posted:

Just checked and I am afraid not. I am certain it was a comedy style too. Something with the atmosphere of a Beverly Hills Cop or a Midnight Run with that style of camera work/lighting. It looks like an 80s film in my memory. I can picture clearly one of the characters on the train carriage jumping up and down happily while the other is on the moving away train. Someone shoots the first character and they make a big deal about being shot and you are supposed to think that whoever was chasing them managed to finally eliminate them.

I am not sure what point in the film this happened but I know they surprisingly show up again and the second character and first 'joke' about that shot and whether it is really possible to shoot a small target that is moving away. That dialogue about the actual ability to make such a shot is the thing that sticks in my mind most of all along with the blurry image of the happy escape cut short.

That character felt like it would a Charles Grodin type too. Not some big name.

I realise this is possibly impossible to figure out but it has bugged me for decades.

Crime comedy on a train brings Silver Streak to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

What’s the Australian movie from like the 80s where there’s a gang of street youths being rambunctious and breaking bottles and stuff

Stone, maybe?

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

holy poo poo that guy was in the New York Dolls

Tangentially related question: was that the movie that spawned the "musclebound he-man media star has to deal with children" subgenre, or is there something earlier? So far I've got a list of Mr. Nanny, Kindergarten Cop, The Pacifier, Tooth Fairy and My Spy, and could organize the worst cinematic retrospective in history.

Don't forget Twin Sitters!

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'm looking for a native american documentary. It was on youtube at one point a few years ago, but I think the documentary was a bit older than that, probably shot in the late oughties and probably originally aired on television. The topic was mostly about deconstructing the native american stereotype, contrasting it with the reality that they're just regular people.

It was filmed by a guy who shoots documentaries, but I forgot his name. He's not as famous as the bigger names out there. He's a short, older white guy with kind of a dark and snarky attitude. It's not Louis Theroux.

Maybe Reel Injun?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1484114/

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
And while you're at it, do the Brian Dennehy "I thought you kept this thing cherry" one.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

This was a film I saw on TV some time in the late-80s/early-to-mid 90s, I was a kid at the time, so it's not too clear. The film was set in a 50s cinema showing a Plan 9-style movie and it would cut back and forth between the events in the mostly-deserted cinema and the movie that was showing. In the cinema there was some kind of monster that was quietly attacking and killing people. One of the characters I remember there was a woman with a really bad cold, and there was a running gag involving her trying to get rid of the copious amounts of snot she produced. At one point, it winds up in the drink cup of a couple who spend most of the movie making out.

The movie that's being played is an obvious parody of an Ed Wood film. I think it's about a young boy, about ten or so, trying to stop an invasion of saucer men or something. The film is all in black and white. There's several bits where in order to go somewhere, he just hops in a car (like a 1940s sedan) and drives off, but the driving sequence is always stock footage, so if he gets in while its dark, the driving segment is in broad daylight.

At the end, the woman with the cold ends up killing the monster by eating it (I think). One of the cinema staff looks on and says the 'twas beauty that killed the beast' line from King Kong and that's basically the end. The whole thing was just shy of being an outright parody, but definitely wasn't on the serious end of things.

Maybe Matinee?

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

JordanKai posted:

I've been trying to find a film that I believe was mentioned in the Who Greenlighted? thread a year or so again. It was a South Korean film if I remember correctly, but it could've been Japanese (or a joint venture) as well. I believe it was a heightened reality action movie kind of deal, with a lot of gore and stylish editing (the trailer did, at least). It got a lot of buzz because pretty much every single significant name in South Korean cinema was signed onto it. I remember the trailer having all the names flash up one after another like it was The Godfather or something.

Not a lot of info, I'm afraid. Does anyone by chance know what I'm talking about? :shobon:

Shot in the dark, but I Saw the Devil is a stylish Korean movie with a lot of gore and several recognizable actors.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Movie from the....90s? I think it's a comedy

scene is a bunch of cops show up to a thing and two cops point guns (rifles?) at each other while getting in standoff position

very Pink Panther vibe (for the scene anyway) but i dont think it was that

This MIGHT happen in Super Troopers since it's about two rival police forces.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

SimonChris posted:

I am looking for a movie about a guy who travels to a US state looking for a dude who disappeared down there years earlier. The local authorities try to sabotage him because they were complicit in killing the dude or lynching or something. In the end, the main character defeats the bad guys by figuring out that they have been stealing his mail, which makes it a federal matter!

Also, it turns out the the guy was just there to hand over a medal to the missing dudes family, because he was a war hero or something, and if the bad guys hadn't freaked out and assumed he was out to get them, they would probably have been fine.

Does this ring a bell for anyone else?

Edit: This was an old movie.

Mississippi Burning?

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

trying to remember a movie I watched on like, IFC, back in like, 2005 or so. I remember it took place somewhere tropical and poor. possibly set on a Caribbean island. the main characters were poor. Maybe it was in Spanish. I think there was a party or festival in the street. It might have been a series of vignettes but I might be confusing it with coffee and cigarettes which I think was on around the same time on IFC

Maybe a misrememberd City of God? Would have been on IFC a lot around that time.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Trevor Hale posted:

Definitely not a movie, but I am convinced I saw an SNL sketch about an actress and an actor getting ready for an emotional scene. The male actor says that wardrobe does a good job of supplying fake tears. The female actress says she doesn’t need them because she remembers the childhood car accident that she was in that killed her whole family and ended with her father’s severed head in her lap and she kept saying it’s ok daddy, I’m ok.

The male actor starts sobbing and they do their scene.

Cut to the oscars where the male actor wins and gives a speech about his family dying in a car accident, stealing his costar’s tragedy. The sketch ends with the actress being dragged away from the Oscars while screaming that she wants his severed head in her lap.

In my head this is Linda Hamilton and Kevin Nealon, but I’ve checked review sites of SNL episodes and it’s not mentioned at all under her episode. It would be about that timeframe though.

It's definitely SNL. Pretty sure it was Phil Hartman and Jan Hooks. Definitely that era.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

childrens movie I watched in the early 90s. could have been british or american. secret garden / never ending story sequel vibes. vhs as hell. I remember a scene where there is an array of tents, like smallish circus tents in a muddy field, and some adults are in the tents making food or mixing potions or something. this might have been a dream actually

Maybe the 1983 version of Something Wicked This Way Comes?

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

MrMojok posted:

This movie I can’t remember the title of was about a vampire. I think it was a vampire, but could possibly have been some kind of demon in the form of a man?

It was set in modern times.

The only thing I can remember about it is that there was a scene of the vampire sitting in a chair reading a Bible, just in complete hysterics, like it was the funniest thing he’d ever read.

It just kind of came out of the blue, and struck me as funny at the time, just completely unexpected.

e: I think I saw this sometime in the late 90s to early 00s, so it’s not newer than that.

Maybe one of the Warlock movies?

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Hannibal Rex posted:

Lemon Popsicle was a huge franchise in Europe, Germany, at least, for whichever reason.

I do have an unidentified 80s sex comedy, if anyone wants to out themselves in being versed in that genre:

Two groups of horny male teenagers are in a competition who can score with a certain girl, and both attempt to cheat: one record her moans from an aerobics(?) workout and try to pass it off as sex noises, the other splices together photographs of her apartment window, one where one of their group is in it, with another where she is naked.

Mid-eighties, and a summer beach resort/hotel setting, I believe. It might not necessarily have been an English language film.

Screwballs 2: Loose Screws sounds somewhat similar and would fit the period, in case anyone has seen it and can confirm or deny.

Fraternity Vacation

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Machai posted:

My wife is trying to remember a what she believes to be a Christmas movie (cold/snowy weather, prepping for the holidays) where the beginning was very nice and heartwarming but the main characters (a couple and their children) "got snatched up by Nazis at the end". She says she watched it around 2010 probably on Netflix. It was a black and white film, probably from the late-40s to mid-50s with an actor that she thinks resembles James Stewart or Gene Kelly. In English, set in Europe/UK. Not a musical, maybe one song at the end.

Could be The Mortal Storm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Disco Pope posted:

A fairly recent (last 15 years?) war movie where the characters leave a POW camp, and walk back to allied territory. At one point, they're on a mountain talking about the food they miss and one of them says "salt".

Maybe The Way Back, directed by Peter Weir