Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Caught a movie a few years ago on Netflix that I remember enjoying, but can't remember much else. As I recall it was real weird and avant-garde, some indie thing probably, and I don't think it was an American film.

The only scene I remember clearly is the very beginning, where the main character is sitting somewhere in public (train station, maybe?) and there's a couple near him making out. And I mean they are REALLY making out, like super aggressively with lots of gross noises, and the MC is just sitting there awkwardly trying not to stare.

Also there was something about a hole in the wall (in the literal sense.)

Ring any bells?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Crow Enthusiast posted:

Sounds like the Coen Brothers segment of Paris Je T'Aime. Protagonist was Steve Buscemi.

I don't think this is it (I definitely would have remembered Buscemi) but I just realized you can download your Netflix history so I'm gonna see if I can somehow sift through all that.

Eta--good lord I've watched a lot of King of the Hill over the years

artsy fartsy fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 26, 2020

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Some action/adventure movie I saw as a kid (so 80s or 90s) where the villain had a metal plate in his head (from an accident, I think) and would sometimes grab his head in pain and groan "The pressure! The pressure!"

IIRC it was not a serious movie, and I didn't like it, but ol' metal head has stuck with me throughout the years.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Ha, thanks!

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

I saw a preview for a movie a long time ago (probably late 90s or early 00s) that I've wondered about over the years.

There was something about a blind person who could now see, I think? The only scene I really remember is this person staring at a taxi cab across the street, then reaching out and grabbing the taxi and it wasn't a taxi that was far away as first appeared but a small sign or car figurine or something that was actually close to them.

artsy fartsy fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 19, 2020

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Metaline posted:

At First Sight?

From the description I read I wouldn't be surprised if this is it. I'm tickled that it's apparently based on something Oliver Sacks wrote--I absolutely love his books. Looking forward to checking this out, thanks!

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

I read a post here on SA (I think) that said there was a movie about a soldier, and this movie really pissed off John Wayne (something about some of the characters not showing the main character the proper respect Wayne felt he was due as an American hero) so he made his own movie in response. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about and what the two movies were? I want to read more about John Wayne's weird movie tantrum.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

I have two:

1) A kids movie probably from the '90s, where the young protagonist's cousin(?) comes to stay with him and he brings some novelty joke items, including a couple of those plastic fake vomits. I remember him holding up the vomits and explaining how one was original and one had peas and carrots.

2) A much newer movie, a violent thriller featuring a couple who committed crimes together. There was a disturbing scene near the end that is the only thing I actually remember about this movie--the couple have a woman tied up, then start making out with her in between them and strangle her to death as they kiss.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Origami Dali posted:

This might be Hounds of Love

Based on what I read this was a good guess, but it turns out the movie was Surveillance (2008).

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

I have a scene stuck in my head, I can't remember any helpful details at all except a vague feeling that it may have been a mob movie/show?

A man is being abusive to a woman (not sure if physical or just verbal abuse). The woman is crying on the ground and keeps saying "I don't know what I did"--the man's abuse is because something else has upset him and he's taking it out on her.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Oh no it was definitely a live-action thing

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

This is something I've seen within the last few years, and I can remember the weird emotional impact very clearly but very little else. Person A (not sure if man or woman) calls Person B (mostly sure it was a woman) into the room and tells her to explain an incident in detail, that Person B had an active role in. I think the incident was adultery, but possibly some other type of betrayal. Person B dutifully recites exactly how the incident went down. Person A is not satisfied, and tells her to do it again. She does. Person B seems to feel guilty or some other emotion that drives her to comply with Person A's demand without any resistance and keeps telling them exactly what happened.

This is driving me insane.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

morestuff posted:

Westworld has a lot of scenes like that between Rachel Evan Wood and Jeffrey Wright

I did see parts of season 1 so this could definitely be it, thank you.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

This is a movie my dad rented when I was a kid (so sometime in the 90s.) There's a man with a surly teenage daughter, and he takes her on vacation(?) to a tropical or beach locale. At one point the teenager, who hates or at least is mad at her dad for whatever reason, starts telling people that he's her older (and, I think, abusive) boyfriend. The dad has no idea. At one point there's a funny scene where he plays piano (maybe at a restaurant?) in front of some of these people and the song he plays is "Thank Heaven for Little Girls" and everyone is grossed out. Near the end of the movie something happens to either put the teenager or her father in peril, and she freaks out and starts crying for her daddy, exposing her lie.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

I'm pretty sure that's it, thanks!

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

I'm more interested in re-watching it to see pre-Grey's Anatomy Katherine Heigl

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

This was an older movie, I think it was black and white even. There was an upcoming eating contest and a guy says he knows a woman who should enter, because he's seen her eat [some crazy list of foods.] So the woman does end up entering the contest, but while her competition is stuffing his face she's just sitting there daintily eating her food with a knife and fork at a normal, leisurely pace, upsetting the guy who recommended her.

This was likely a movie my dad rented during my childhood and probably had some old comedian(s) in it.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Gripweed posted:

I feel like some movie or TV show must’ve had a character do the Sherlock Holmes thing where they deduce another character’s whole backstory on first sight based on tiny visual cues, only to eat poo poo and get every part wrong.

I recall seeing a movie as a child (90's) about Sherlock Holmes, where he was actually an idiot and Watson was the real brain of the operation. But then something happened to Watson and he got kidnapped (maybe?) and Sherlock had to find him, and he just lucked the gently caress out because all his conclusions about the clues Watson left for him were completely wrong.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

LesterGroans posted:

1988's Without a Clue. Michael Caine was Holmes and Ben Kingsley was Watson.

Oh poo poo for real? Yeah I'm definitely gonna hunt that one down, love me some Michael Caine.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

I think this was a movie or a show, but I can't see any faces or visual parts in my mind, I just remember the story.

This scene was a flashback (I think remembered by the main character, who was a child at this part) that explained the night their mother left the family. The parents had been having some issues and there was infidelity (or at least suspected) on the part of the mom. The family was on vacation or on some kind of road trip and stopped somewhere (restaurant? hotel?) There was a fight, I think, and the mom vanished. The father came to believe the mother had arranged to meet her lover at that place and left with him.

We find out later the mom had actually gone for a walk and accidentally fallen off a cliff.

ETA: possibly a murder mystery? Like maybe the whole story started with someone finding the mom's remains. I'm way less sure about that, tho.

artsy fartsy fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jul 2, 2023

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Timby posted:

The Affair?

I read up on this and I don't think it's right, although it does look like the kind of thing I'd enjoy

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

This is not exactly a movie, but it's adjacent. Does anybody remember going to the theater 30+ years ago to watch a Disney movie, and after the previews (or maybe before?) there was this countdown thing on the screen with Mickey and his rotating arm (similar to those old Mickey watches) that was supposed to give you time to buy concessions or whatever before the movie started? It stands out in my brain because I remember all this griping and complaining from the people around me about how dumb and frustrating this thing was, and it did seem to go on forever (in my admittedly hazy recollection). I don't know what movie I was trying to see and I don't think I ever saw the Mickey timer again. Was this just something at my local theater?

artsy fartsy fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 18, 2023

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

I have this scene in my head, but absolutely no identifying details at all: somebody has somebody else restrained and puts duct tape over their mouth, then draws a pair of lips on the tape.

That's all I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Oh poo poo, that's it!

I would have never figured that out, I forgot that movie existed