Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Howdy!

Looking for a sword and sorcery movie that just popped into my head. 1980s, late 70s at the very earliest, possibly '83, recall some listicle or other saying that it was "more experimental" than the others in the series. Thought it might have been death stalker II, but that's too lighthearted. Not Fulci's Conquest. 95% sure it had "Death" in the title and was an Italian production. Seem to recall a trailer that had some kind of women in a black robe and the stock sort of "theater" mask on her face, but my memory is really fuzzy on that point.

Long shot but I appreciate any suggestions!

Edit: Found it, Ator II: Iron Warrior

magic cactus fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Gripweed posted:

Was it Death Stalker? or Death Stalker II? or Death Stalker III?

I checked Death Stalker II because I was like 95% positive that was it, but the clips I saw seemed too comedic, this was almost like an "art film" take on 80s swords and sorcery stuff. I know 100% it's not Conquest, because I remember that one pretty well, but it's in that same kind of idea of a "deconstruction" of swords and sorcery. If it helps, I seem to recall in the trailer there was a brief POV shot of a sword fight.

Edit: figured it out. Ator II: Iron Warrior

magic cactus fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 15, 2023

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Just gonna pop back in and say I watched it last night and it was weirdly entertaining. Like a sword and sorcery movie you might see in a dream. No budget whatsoever but that's part of the charm.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

My brother recommended me a movie a while back and like an idiot I totally forgot to save the name and now he's forgotten it to.

All I can remember is it's a 70s/80s era film. I think the central plot was that there is a race or perhaps truckers were involved and a central point is that the main character is high on meth or speed or some other stimulant. More of a gritty vibe, possibly cyberpunk or dystopian, might have started with a C.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

I don't think that's it. This was much darker, kind of like a death race vibe and irrc the fact that the main character was high on meth was a pretty big part of the plot. Had kind of a grindhouse vibe to it from the trailer.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Jedit posted:

Vanishing Point is a very likely candidate. No trucks, but definitely gritty, somewhat dystopian, and involving a high speed journey with a driver on crank.

That's the one, my bother literally just texted me the same answer a few seconds ago. Thanks!

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Hannibal Rex posted:

You already have your answer, but if you want an 80s dystopian cyberpunk trucker racing movie, I've got you covered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehqNK1RgvUQ

Oh hell yes this looks awesome, adding to the watch list, thanks!

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Looking for a movie that's right at the tip of my tongue.

On criterion channel maybe half a year to a year ago. Plot concerns a young woman disappearing in what I want to say was a native community in Alaska? Kind of a hauntological ghost story, long takes I think. Opening shot was a little wooden shack/church on an icy plain. Might have had 'St." In the title somewhere. Shot on film Doesn't seem to be on criterion anymore, at least that I can find.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Origami Dali posted:

Your description sounds a lot like The Pledge.

I don't think that's it. The plot had something to do with a young native girl who vanishes and then reappears in the community like a decade later, and it's from the last year maybe two at most. I distinctly remember this being on the criterion channel's "streaming premieres" section, but it seems to have vanished.

Thanks though!

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Origami Dali posted:

Found it. It's Ste. Anne.

Yeah that's it! Thanks a bunch! Not on criterion anymore but oh well. Thanks anyway, appreciate it.

magic cactus fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 16, 2023

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Howdy!

Trying to track down an old kung-fu movie but the name has escaped me. late 60's-mid 70s at the latest, 98% sure it's not shaw brothers. Plot concerns a woman out for revenge. What struck me was the set design, particularly one scene that takes place in a village at night, with the sky being this deep purple color that almost looked like an expressionist painting. I'm almost certain "snow" or "lady" or "vengeance" was in the title somewhere. I checked Lady Snowblood but that wasn't it. Thanks for any help.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Jedit posted:

Could be Revenge of the Shogun Women?

Nope not it, this one had just one female MC and the palette was much darker. Almost like an expressionist take on a Shaw brothers film. Thanks for trying though!

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Rob was taken posted:

This sounds like "The Woman of the Snow" segment from Kwaidan (1964)

Unfortunately not Kwaidan. The expressionist lighting is roughly correct, but this was first and foremost a kung-fu/action/revenge flick.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

Alan Smithee posted:

can you conclude if it was japanese or chinese at least

100% Japanese.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

DeimosRising posted:

Are you sure you're not confusing elements of Lady Snowblood and its sequel with Female Prisoner Scorpion? Same lead and both are revenge stories, but Female Prisoner is set in the 60s/70s and has extremely stylized lighting and sets.

I'm positive this wasn't a 60s/70s set film. One of those typical samurai era flicks. I might have to poke around the lady snowboard sequels and see if something jogs my memory. That scene of the village with the deep purple night sky is very vivid in my mind's eye, but I don't have anything else firm to go on. I might try contacting the owner of the little theater in NYC that showed it a few years back, maybe he kept an archive program or something. I checked their website from the year I remember seeing it (2020), but looks like the web archives don't go back that far.

Thanks a bunch for attempting to track this down!

Edit: Does anyone know if Lady Snowblood had completely unrelated films released baring the Name to cash in on the hype? Maybe it's one of those?

magic cactus fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

The Horse in Tears posted:

Sounds like the finale of Blind Woman's Curse (1970).

It was one of Meiko Kaji's first starring roles, a couple years before she was Scorpion and Snowblood.

DING DING DING that's it thank you so much! I was gonna call the theater but you got it in one, can't forget that sky.