Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

I can't remember any of the details of the film I'm looking for except at one point on TV there's an an old black and white movie from the 50s playing about a giant radioactive bird swoops in and eats a soldier parachuting out of a plane.

The black and white film is The Giant Claw, the movie showing the footage is on the tip of my tongue...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Action Jacktion posted:

One of these:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050432/movieconnections

Electric Dreams? TerrorVision? Those seems to be the only actual movies on the list.

No I watched something recently that specifically referenced the giant claw as well, I remember seeing the footage of the pilot getting chomped and thinking, oh look, it’s the giant claw...

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Yeah it’s always worth throwing anything out there that’s even kinda close, you can go to any page of this thread and see people going “wow amazing, this is it but it’s NOTHING like what I remembered”

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

gey muckle mowser posted:

The Haunting (1963) maybe? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057129/

Prominently features a spiral staircase and a greenhouse-like room, although the stairs are not in that room. B&W, no gore, etc.

That's a solid guess. The uninvited takes place in a remote house and there's a room with a really big window that includes part of the roof

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kenzo posted:

Good god who did you piss off that THAT red text?

i laugh every time i see that one

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

therattle posted:

Me too. :smug:

AND I'LL NEVER LET YOU ALL FORGET IT.

Forget what?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

I could be way off, but perhaps I Am Cuba? The architecture could read as Mediterranean and there's a couple of acclaimed building-scaling shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOLVm_9UcRw&t=171s - opening scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCdahJlwTG0 - funeral tracking

This is what I was thinking too

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

About 10-15 years ago, someone in either the genchat thread or the horror thread here in CineD posted a series of short faux documentary films supposedly from 1900-1980 about various supernatural or sci-fi events. They were all on youtube and very similar to Peter Delpeut’s The Forbidden Quest in being stitched together from what seemed to be archival footage. Each one was from a different period and used different film and camera techniques consistent with the period the story was from. They were short, probably 10-20 minutes. The ones I remember had the following plots:

—a man in the 1920s visits Mexico to document a witch who gets angry at him and chases him.

—a 1950s/1960s person documents people walking out of the ocean and trying to infiltrate America. I think this one ends with the person falling in love with a woman who emerges from the ocean this way and following her back underwater knowing that he will die.

—a 1970s British documentary about a village of Soviet soldiers who can’t live around other people because they all have junky cybernetic enhancements that malfunction, like a super-strong robot arm that smashes things unintentionally, or robot legs that go at super-fast speed all the time. I remember this one being more lighthearted than the others.

—a 1960s man who goes on a vision quest with a shaman in Mexico. The man films the shaman jumping upside down and vanishing. The voice actor playing the man narrating his footage and sharing his reflections years later sounded just like Harlan Ellison.

—a 1900s-era silent film of an arctic or antarctic voyage that encounters something generating bright light that it fist avoids but eventually decides to sail toward.

—a late 70s/early 80s West German man who is kidnapped and replaced for a week or a month or something by a man who can reassemble his face and body to look like anyone. I remember this one cut between footage of the imposter with the man’s family and footage that the imposter took of the man while he was held captive by the imposter.

They were very well done and memorably creepy and sublime. I don’t remember if they were produced for youtube or if they were from the 90s or 2000s and later uploaded. I wish I could remember more. Does anyone recognize this series?

Some of these sound like Forbidden Files/Documents Interdits.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

This is definitely them. Thank you! I can only find a few clips, but they are definitely the series I was thinking of. The only one I can't find is the one about the German man replaced by a duplicate, which may have been a special episode or a dvd exclusive or something.

They rule. Your memory is a bit off on some of them so they’ll even still have some surprises for you

The last one you’re looking for is The Examination, it’s not technically part of Documents Interdit but it’s directed by the same guy. Or at least it didn’t air with the others and isn’t usually included with them

Edit: it looks like Jean Teddy-Phillipe has them all up for rent on his Vimeo account. https://vimeo.com/ondemand/theforbiddenfiles/

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 11, 2021

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

A MIRACLE posted:

yeah, its definitely Keaton-esque. but more of a late 40s / early 50s vibe, I'm almost positive it wasn't a silent film. I did some googling and no luck. I either saw it on like TCM or maybe in film studies

There are a lot of scenes like this, it’s so prevalent that Jackie Chan parodies the office savant sequence in Police Story, for example

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Opopanax posted:

Apologies as I’m sure there’s a better thread for this, but I also know someone will have it almost immediately here. Got this message from a friend this morning
“I don't have access to my SA account anymore, do you know if there's another place online where I can find SMG's analysis of transformers?”

Anyone have this handy?

AFAIK smg just posted in the thread, but the well known long form analysis of the transformers movies was written by terry van feleday. someone just posted a link to it recently

Dabir posted:

I noticed the links were down last month and went looking to see if a copy had been preserved by the wayback machine. No luck there, but it was archived on PDF Archive. I didn't even realise this thread was still live, or I'd have posted it here.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ChocNitty posted:

Thanks, I was able to find it that way.

For anyone curious, this is the trailer, that's unlisted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMgRbn6_KYQ

holy heck

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Very amused that someone is posting here who watched their first horror movie in 2012 on Chiller

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Action Jacktion posted:

This post is from 2007 but the movie is God Bless the Child.

I strongly approve of people going back and answering decades old unanswered questions. go with god

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mr Scumbag posted:

I think you just nailed it. It was a TV show, my bad for bringing it here. I think I was so vague about it cause I half-watched it while drinking. Mystery solved, thanks.

tv shows end up being the answer here pretty frequently, i don't think anyone minds. the whole premise of the thread sort of precludes being sure it was a movie and not something else

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

magic cactus posted:

100% Japanese.

Are you sure you're not confusing elements of Lady Snowblood and its sequel with Female Prisoner Scorpion? Same lead and both are revenge stories, but Female Prisoner is set in the 60s/70s and has extremely stylized lighting and sets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The Horse in Tears posted:

Sounds like the finale of Blind Woman's Curse (1970).

It was one of Meiko Kaji's first starring roles, a couple years before she was Scorpion and Snowblood.

streaming on arrow, hell yeah