Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

muscles like this! posted:

TV was different because nobody really expected there to be a secondary market of home releases. Releasing a TV show on VHS was cumbersome since you couldn't fit very many episodes on each tape so it wasn't very common. So contracts pre DVD and streaming would just frequently not bother with securing music rights to a format that just wasn't relevant at the time.

WKRP in Cincinnati is a good example of this. Since it took place in a rock radio station, music played a big part of the show. Because it was shot on videotape, the licensing was cheaper for some reason. When the show went into syndication, the rights to songs slowly began to expire. In some cases, they just flat out cut scenes with unlicensed songs, while in others they had to record sound-alikes AND had to redub the dialogue since the songs were usually playing in the background. The first attempt to release it on DVD was a disaster. Ultimately, SHOUT! Factory was able to secure about 85% of the original songs. You can find lists of what's till missing on some websites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Spider-Man

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I watched Troll 2 with some friends last night, and it was fun, but I feel I've seen films that are more incoherent, dull or less creative than it. The dialogue and acting is awful, and the effects are clearly very cheap but there's little flashes of competence or imagination in it and an intentional gag or performance that works.

Anyway, many yuks were had at the idea it was completely unrelated to the original Troll, and being the pedantic nerd I am who is always a smash at parties, I mentioned that making barely related sequels to popular films isn't entirety uncommon in Italian B-Cinema and I could think of Alien 2: On Earth and Zombi 2 off the top of my head.

Asides from those, are there any other obvious ones I'm missing? I'm also interested in blatant misleading retitling for other markets to, like the Spanish film Night of the Seagulls being sold as Return of the Evil Dead, at least in the UK.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 6, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Make sure to watch Best Worst Movie, which is the documentary about it and it’s resurgence. I think it hits that perfect blend of insanity and competence that makes it a lot of fun.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Make sure to watch Best Worst Movie, which is the documentary about it and it’s resurgence. I think it hits that perfect blend of insanity and competence that makes it a lot of fun.

Yeah, we talked about that too. I hunted for it before a good few years ago, but couldn't find it and that was before the streaming explosion. I should try again.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Disco Pope posted:

Asides from those, are there any other obvious ones I'm missing? I'm also interested in blatant misleading retitling for other markets to, like the Spanish film Night of the Seagulls being sold as Return of the Evil Dead, at least in the UK.

This video covers Zombie films pretty well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZoqZxgw7HU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Disco Pope posted:

I watched Troll 2 with some friends last night, and it was fun, but I feel I've seen films that are more incoherent, dull or less creative than it. The dialogue and acting is awful, and the effects are clearly very cheap but there's little flashes of competence or imagination in it and an intentional gag or performance that works.

Anyway, many yuks were had at the idea it was completely unrelated to the original Troll, and being the pedantic nerd I am who is always a smash at parties, I mentioned that making barely related sequels to popular films isn't entirety uncommon in Italian B-Cinema and I could think of Alien 2: On Earth and Zombi 2 off the top of my head.

Yeah sometimes it's just taking a movie that already exists and calling it a sequel. In an Italian video store I saw Silent Running labelled as "2002: Second Odyssey" and also "Spaceballs 2" which I think was something called Martians Go Home.

Also there was a "Terminator 2" that's also known as Shocking Dark, but it's also just a virtually-scene-for-scene remake of Aliens for most of its running time.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah sometimes it's just taking a movie that already exists and calling it a sequel. In an Italian video store I saw Silent Running labelled as "2002: Second Odyssey" and also "Spaceballs 2" which I think was something called Martians Go Home.

Also there was a "Terminator 2" that's also known as Shocking Dark, but it's also just a virtually-scene-for-scene remake of Aliens for most of its running time.

Interesting - something like the film Lady Terminator would fit the mold too, where a lot of is an original film drawing on Indonesian folklore, but it also just recreated some scenes from The Terminator too.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Disco Pope posted:

1985's Demons had one official sequel and nine completely unrelated would-be followups: https://letterboxd.com/cerise/list/demons-and-its-kinda-sequels/detail/

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Disco Pope posted:

I'm fairly certain a bunch of 80s Cannon movies are like this with the Ninja trilogy probably the best example.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Black Lighter posted:

1985's Demons had one official sequel and nine completely unrelated would-be followups: https://letterboxd.com/cerise/list/demons-and-its-kinda-sequels/detail/

Don't sleep on Demons 3: The Church, it rules.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Disco Pope posted:

There's like a dozen Django sequels and only one of them is official.

Edit: wikipedia says there's over 30.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

MacheteZombie posted:

Don't sleep on Demons 3: The Church, it rules.

:hmmyes: The Sect and Cemetery Man are bangers too, and Mask of Satan's a good, batshitty time

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Black Lighter posted:

:hmmyes: The Sect and Cemetery Man are bangers too, and Mask of Satan's a good, batshitty time

i'll have to check out mask of satan... only one of those i haven't seen!

e: turns out I have seen it! just thought it was ok but the snowy village setting was cool

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 9, 2022

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I finished watching Satan's Tango recently. It seems like some things are left open-ended. But I'm curious if I missed something or if these issues are detailed more in the book:

What does Irimias need with explosives?

Why does Irimias write letters to the police about the villagers?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Is there a “technical” thread that goes into the filming part of movies? I have a question

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Professor Shark posted:

Is there a “technical” thread that goes into the filming part of movies? I have a question

What's the question?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

You gotta take the lens cap off

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

feedmyleg posted:

You gotta take the lens cap off

Also have to turn the camera on.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Lighting is also quite important, most filmmakers agree you should have at least one light. Unless you're outside and it's day in which case you may be able to fake it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think I found it- I was trying to figure out how they filmed the title cards for Nope

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Is there a podcast or Youtube show about new Indie/Art house movies? The only show that covers that sort of stuff occasionally is RLM, but there's gotta be something more dedicated. Couldn't find anything. Something like "Indie and foreign movies to watch this month".

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

busalover posted:

Is there a podcast or Youtube show about new Indie/Art house movies? The only show that covers that sort of stuff occasionally is RLM, but there's gotta be something more dedicated. Couldn't find anything. Something like "Indie and foreign movies to watch this month".

I listen to We Hate Movies podcast, and they do a (mostly weekly) YouTube show on Mondays at noon Eastern. On that show they recap box office stuff, and after they talk about the Top 5, they mention recently released indie movies. They also comment on newly released trailers and indie movies get covered there sometimes.

The main focus is mainstream stuff, but they actually enjoy indie stuff too.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I watched Nightbreed last night and assumed it didn’t make much sense because I was watching the famously chopped up theatrical cut, but I guess Prime has the Director’s cut. Is there any logic or explanation in one of the many cuts as to who ends up in Midian? At one point they imply that they’re just monster fairy folk or whatever, then it seems to go by vampire rules, but that one guy shows up there after cutting his face off and dying with no real explanation

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Is there any kind of movie rating website, in the vein of IMDB/Rotten Tomatoes/Metacritic, that will let me put together a list of the top rated movies over a specific time period?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

morestuff posted:

I watched Nightbreed last night and assumed it didn’t make much sense because I was watching the famously chopped up theatrical cut, but I guess Prime has the Director’s cut. Is there any logic or explanation in one of the many cuts as to who ends up in Midian? At one point they imply that they’re just monster fairy folk or whatever, then it seems to go by vampire rules, but that one guy shows up there after cutting his face off and dying with no real explanation

I don't remember if the Director's Cut answers your specific question, but if you're hoping it will make the movie feel more complete and/or coherent overall then you'll probably be disappointed. Barker just had extremely high ambitions for the resources he had to work with, for me Nightbreed is a movie that really needed like a legit blockbuster budget to be fully realized.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Pretty sure the guy who cuts up his face was always a nightbreed but stood in his human form so long he “forgot” how to transcend until he met the protagonist and remembered his previous life as a nightbreed. Kinda like that twilight zone ep about the mannequins.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

wicka posted:

Is there any kind of movie rating website, in the vein of IMDB/Rotten Tomatoes/Metacritic, that will let me put together a list of the top rated movies over a specific time period?
Criticker can do this.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Who makes the credit sequences for movies? Is there a specific job for being a credit-maker, or is it something an effects place slaps together?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Leave posted:

Who makes the credit sequences for movies? Is there a specific job for being a credit-maker, or is it something an effects place slaps together?

do they even do it anymore? what with streaming cutting them off, and union reqs (a good thing in a vacuum) cutting them down to lists of names at the end? i assume its the same peopls who cut trailers a lot of the time. kiimo probably knows tho

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Why do they rarely film movies in chronological order?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Leave posted:

It makes sense to film one actor’s scenes all at once if they are contracted for a limited time, or to use one location that is featured multiple times. Basically because it’s usually the most efficient way of doing it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
One of my favorite things in movies is when credits or usually just names of places in movies are displayed in the frame as if they're a 3D part of the world. Its mostly a recent thing, if I had to guess its been happening for maybe 15 years? I recently checked out the opening credits for Panic Room and Fincher was doing it all the way back in 2002! Anyone think of an earlier example?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCwjo4JDUw4

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
CGI definitely made that easier (and Panic Room was an early adopter) but you can see a crude but still stylish take on a similar idea in the North by Northwest credits

https://youtu.be/1ON67uYwGaw?si=cPxYjLOdbbii2OrE

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Leave posted:

What therattle said but to elaborate a bit:

When scheduling a film initially there'll be certain constraints already in place. The First Assistant Director will place the scenes to be shot each day into an order that makes the most sense logistically.

What makes sense artistically rarely enters the picture. Sometimes actors and directors prefer to start with chronologically earlier scenes to ease into the characters, so the performance isn't wildly out of whack if it takes a few days to find the vibe and you shot the climax of the movie first.

Then they'll usually group scenes logically. Each location lumped together. Night scenes grouped together. This is because jumping from day to night hours constantly is a long and annoying and expensive process involving a gradual shifting of shooting hours, which fucks your crew and cast up.

If you've got a particularly high profile cast member in a supporting role, you'll often try to lump their scenes together to make the production cheaper, as actors are normally paid a weekly salary. Plus a whole plethora of other constraints you might have been given by the producers when coming on board.

Then once that schedule is distributed to the rest of the crew early in pre-production, you'll get a bunch more constraints applied to your shoot.

The location manager tells you oops actually the Manor will only allow us to shoot at certain times in certain rooms, so that'll necessitate a scene order change.

The Director of Photography might tell you you can't shoot a certain scene at a certain time of day because the sun won't be in the right place in the sky for what they want, so that scene's getting moved.

The makeup designer might tell you that putting X and Y scenes next to each other is a bad idea as the characters in them have been rained on way earlier in the schedule and to shoot actors wet then dry takes ages to reset. So you've got to flip the scenes.

And so on and so forth, each department or producer or actor inputting their own requirements and details to your schedule, til voila! A finished schedule that orders your entire film into a logical and efficient shooting order that keeps every department happy and working hard.

...until your actor gets covid, or falls off a bench, or food poisoning and suddenly you can't film his scenes tomorrow and uh oh time to rearrange everything! Hope it still makes sense for everyone when you're adjusting it at 9pm after a full 14 hour day on set.

Oh and did I mention that film scheduling is still done on an incredibly outdated piece of software that essentially holds the film industry at ransom now as its very much still 'the way its always been done'? A janky unintuitive mess that industry veterans still struggle with.

It's a real tough thing to do and it flies so under the radar. Yes I am an AD so I'm very protective of the skills involved (and its a department that most people don't really know what it does).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

a lovely king posted:

What therattle said but to elaborate a bit:

When scheduling a film initially there'll be certain constraints already in place. The First Assistant Director will place the scenes to be shot each day into an order that makes the most sense logistically.

What makes sense artistically rarely enters the picture. Sometimes actors and directors prefer to start with chronologically earlier scenes to ease into the characters, so the performance isn't wildly out of whack if it takes a few days to find the vibe and you shot the climax of the movie first.

Then they'll usually group scenes logically. Each location lumped together. Night scenes grouped together. This is because jumping from day to night hours constantly is a long and annoying and expensive process involving a gradual shifting of shooting hours, which fucks your crew and cast up.

If you've got a particularly high profile cast member in a supporting role, you'll often try to lump their scenes together to make the production cheaper, as actors are normally paid a weekly salary. Plus a whole plethora of other constraints you might have been given by the producers when coming on board.

Then once that schedule is distributed to the rest of the crew early in pre-production, you'll get a bunch more constraints applied to your shoot.

The location manager tells you oops actually the Manor will only allow us to shoot at certain times in certain rooms, so that'll necessitate a scene order change.

The Director of Photography might tell you you can't shoot a certain scene at a certain time of day because the sun won't be in the right place in the sky for what they want, so that scene's getting moved.

The makeup designer might tell you that putting X and Y scenes next to each other is a bad idea as the characters in them have been rained on way earlier in the schedule and to shoot actors wet then dry takes ages to reset. So you've got to flip the scenes.

And so on and so forth, each department or producer or actor inputting their own requirements and details to your schedule, til voila! A finished schedule that orders your entire film into a logical and efficient shooting order that keeps every department happy and working hard.

...until your actor gets covid, or falls off a bench, or food poisoning and suddenly you can't film his scenes tomorrow and uh oh time to rearrange everything! Hope it still makes sense for everyone when you're adjusting it at 9pm after a full 14 hour day on set.

Oh and did I mention that film scheduling is still done on an incredibly outdated piece of software that essentially holds the film industry at ransom now as its very much still 'the way its always been done'? A janky unintuitive mess that industry veterans still struggle with.

It's a real tough thing to do and it flies so under the radar. Yes I am an AD so I'm very protective of the skills involved (and its a department that most people don't really know what it does).

This is a terrific, informative and informed post. I have nothing else to say! Except that there are never enough days to shoot what you want how you want it, except on massive, big-budget films.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
There's a bit on the LotR documentary about how they were supposed to film some early scenes, but on the day they were supposed to start shooting the area was experiencing a hundred year flood. But they did have a Mount Doom set ready for end-of-RotK shots, so they shot the coverage for Sean Astin. The next day they were going to shoot Elisha Wood's coverage but then weather suddenly cleared up and they went back to their original shooting schedule and didn't get back to that scene for over a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Cage posted:

One of my favorite things in movies is when credits or usually just names of places in movies are displayed in the frame as if they're a 3D part of the world. Its mostly a recent thing, if I had to guess its been happening for maybe 15 years? I recently checked out the opening credits for Panic Room and Fincher was doing it all the way back in 2002! Anyone think of an earlier example?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCwjo4JDUw4

It's not earlier, but if you enjoy this you should definitely watch the TV series Fringe, because literally every change of location in all five seasons does this.