Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Maybe, but some environmental disasters you just can’t undo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Part of my reading is based on knowing the Wachowskis were forced to do the human battery thing and it never quite made sense, and if the machines need power why would the agree to let people leave the Matrix if they choose?

And to a certain extent that’s nitpicking but to me it fits that the machines never really needed the humans, but rather than complete genocide they devised this punishment.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
I think it’s a fine reading I just don’t think it’s necessary to patch a plot hole*

*In the original trilogy, I haven’t watched Ressurections yet so dunno if that makes it into one

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What do the machines do for fun? What is their existence even like now that they aren't slaves? (They were slaves in the animatrix?)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

banned from Starbucks posted:

What do the machines do for fun? What is their existence even like now that they aren't slaves? (They were slaves in the animatrix?)

Pretend to be married to Trinity, or pretend to be her kids.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
A thought I had the other day: what is the earliest "ironic" use of a piece of happy music (eg Ode to Joy or What a Wonderful World accompanying a nuclear explosion) and what is the latest usage of music that is now generally used in that way being used unironically (eg a happy couple dancing to What a Wonderful World)? This isn't necessarily limited to movies, though I suspect a movie would be the earliest medium in which you'd see it.

The earliest example I can think of is Dr. Strangelove, and that's debatable anyway, as We'll Meet Again is already a kind of bittersweet song, but it's happy sounding, at least.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rochallor posted:

A thought I had the other day: what is the earliest "ironic" use of a piece of happy music (eg Ode to Joy or What a Wonderful World accompanying a nuclear explosion) and what is the latest usage of music that is now generally used in that way being used unironically (eg a happy couple dancing to What a Wonderful World)? This isn't necessarily limited to movies, though I suspect a movie would be the earliest medium in which you'd see it.

The earliest example I can think of is Dr. Strangelove, and that's debatable anyway, as We'll Meet Again is already a kind of bittersweet song, but it's happy sounding, at least.

Probably Strangelove, I don't think there were any comedies featuring a nuclear explosion before then.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Dr Strangelove is a comedy??

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Dr Strangelove is a comedy??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAeqVGP-GPM

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Is there a list of media that was rewritten/reshot due to 9/11? I just found out about the heavy rewrites to the Matrix sequels and was wondering what other films were compromised due to the anxieties of that event?

I know the Sopranos went through a similar overhaul, but I don’t know if they had major storylines rewritten due to it.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I think the most famous one is the original Spiderman.

https://screenrant.com/spiderman-movie-2002-twin-towers-sam-raimi/

I believe I have also seen that the finale of the first movie was supposed to end with the Twin Towers, but I don't remember anymore.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Not a film but Metal Gear Solid 2 had its whole ending redone as a result.

The original Cartoon Network run of Mobile Suit Gundam was canned due to 9/11 but it was really just an excuse thanks to bad ratings.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hockles posted:

I think the most famous one is the original Spiderman.

https://screenrant.com/spiderman-movie-2002-twin-towers-sam-raimi/

I believe I have also seen that the finale of the first movie was supposed to end with the Twin Towers, but I don't remember anymore.

That’s a great example, thanks for reminding me of that. I wonder where that early teaser would’ve landed in the original script.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozz8uxW733Q

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I think they reshot some scenes of the New York skyline in Zoolander as to not show the twin towers.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

ruddiger posted:

I just found out about the heavy rewrites to the Matrix sequels...

Is there detail on this anywhere? I googled and couldn't find anything really.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

ruddiger posted:

That’s a great example, thanks for reminding me of that. I wonder where that early teaser would’ve landed in the original script.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozz8uxW733Q

I don't think the teaser was actually supposed to be in the movie. It's not directed by Raimi and has a very different style than the rest of the film. There's two shots from it that got used in the movie, but from what I understand that was more of a budgetary thing (they exhausted the budget toward the end of production, which is why there's footage from Lucio Fulci's The Beyond for when Peter mutates from the spider bite).

The finale of the movie did get slightly re-shot after 9/11 but that was to add the New York rally ("you mess with one of us, you mess with all of us!") right before Spider-Man fights the Green Goblin.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Not a movie, but I’ve been watching Ink Master s1 from 2012, and this stock footage shot… that’s the twin towers right?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Doubt it. Theres no antenna thing on one of them and the surrounding skyline looks way different

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The lack of antenna did stick out to me, but couldn’t think of seeing two other buildings stacked like that. Nice they weren’t buying horribly outdated stock footage at least.

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.
I was thinking about the whole problem with tales from the crypt, and how there can never be a remake or streamed on HBO because everything is in rights hell. How can the cryptkeeper have separate rights than the actual show, since he was the continuous aspect of the show? For that matter, how can music that was played in the show no longer be part of the show? That seems like an actor no longer wanting to be associated with a movie, and preventing its release purely because they are in it. I guess I always assumed that if something (a puppet or a song or an actor) was part of a piece of entertainment it would have been contractually arranged for it to be part of it in perpetuity. I have no idea what Bruce Springsteen songs have been in movies, but as he has sold his music catalog to Sony, can they now say "gently caress you (insert sony competitor studio) movie with Bruce Springsteen song, you no longer get to be viewed unless song x comes out!"?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Mr. Toodles posted:

I was thinking about the whole problem with tales from the crypt, and how there can never be a remake or streamed on HBO because everything is in rights hell. How can the cryptkeeper have separate rights than the actual show, since he was the continuous aspect of the show? For that matter, how can music that was played in the show no longer be part of the show? That seems like an actor no longer wanting to be associated with a movie, and preventing its release purely because they are in it. I guess I always assumed that if something (a puppet or a song or an actor) was part of a piece of entertainment it would have been contractually arranged for it to be part of it in perpetuity. I have no idea what Bruce Springsteen songs have been in movies, but as he has sold his music catalog to Sony, can they now say "gently caress you (insert sony competitor studio) movie with Bruce Springsteen song, you no longer get to be viewed unless song x comes out!"?
The Crypt Keeper is a character originally from a comic series. And plenty of music licenses are not for perpetuity.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Looking it up apparently the Gaines estate owns all EC's copyrights, but, like... they just refusing to play ball or what?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, the music thing has hosed with a bunch of shows getting rereleased. Daria and Mission Hill are two off the top of my head

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Now if you haven't got music (or any other) licenses in perpetuity the buyer will not accept delivery and won't pay. Precisely because this sort of thing fucks everything up down the line.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Evangelion, one of Japan's most popular media franchises, released a blu-ray cut of the series with both new and old Dubs.

They omitted the iconic ending song "Fly Me To the Moon" because of licensing rights.

Literally a multi-billion dollar franchise and they hosed up the disc release lol.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Many years ago I was planning to watch Cabiria (1914) but I'd heard that a restored (three hour version) was screened back ~2006 and was going to be released on media eventually. But I can't find anything about this so I'm guessing it never happened. Anyone know anything about this?

YouTube has various versions running two to 2.5 hours so I might just watch one of those. I did the same thing with Greed but I doubt that full version will ever be found. But with this one I know for a fact there's a 3 hour version somewhere on film.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Youtube removed 1986's Cat City, a Hungarian animated movie that definitely had nobody looking to make money off of, nobody getting up in arms about a copyright violation, simply because Youtube loving sucks and is manned by uncultured cowards.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

There was an episode of The Young Ones where one of the characters sings one single line from a Simon & Garfunkel song. It had to be edited out of the US DVD release.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone know who started the trend of location title cards that were HUGE IMPACT FONT FILLING THE SCREEN

I’m watching The Dropout on Hulu (great series, first episode a little choppy but it’s great after that) and they’re doing a Medium Size Impact Font Title Card Filling 1/3 of The Screen and made me wonder

Edit:

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 12, 2022

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone know who started the trend of location title cards that were HUGE IMPACT FONT FILLING THE SCREEN

I’m watching The Dropout on Hulu (great series, first episode a little choppy but it’s great after that) and they’re doing a Medium Size Impact Font Title Card Filling 1/3 of The Screen and made me wonder

E: it’s early, no read good

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Edit:

Not sure where it started, but the TV Fringe did a cool twist on that where the location cards were 3d objects inhabiting the frame.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Any good movie magazines out there still publishing? I'm missing Film Comment

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Steve Yun posted:

Edit:

The first movie I remember doing something like this was Quantum of Solace, so I feel like it goes back to the 2000s at least

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, the music thing has hosed with a bunch of shows getting rereleased. Daria and Mission Hill are two off the top of my head

My Daria box set DVD included a little 1-page sheet in it saying "Hey, the music's changed to sound-alikes. We're really sorry, but it was this or the show would just not come out at all. Can we still be friends?"

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Shrecknet posted:

My Daria box set DVD included a little 1-page sheet in it saying "Hey, the music's changed to sound-alikes. We're really sorry, but it was this or the show would just not come out at all. Can we still be friends?"

So did my dvd set of The State.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Luckily there’s an internet project that put all the music back in.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Top Gear was the same way, the BBC could basically use any music because they had all the radio licenses so the mid-2000s episodes always had tons of great needle drops and even more obscure indie artists or movie soundtracks and stuff.

All of the subsequent releases and international airings have tried to match the general tone of the original music but it all just sounds like middling royalty-free library music if you've heard the intended cut.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I find this really shocking. You cannot deliver a feature film without all music being cleared worldwide in perpetuity in all media (now known or hereafter invented), with some rare exceptions. It’s not fairly common like it seems to be in TV.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ruddiger posted:

Is there a list of media that was rewritten/reshot due to 9/11? I just found out about the heavy rewrites to the Matrix sequels and was wondering what other films were compromised due to the anxieties of that event?

I know the Sopranos went through a similar overhaul, but I don’t know if they had major storylines rewritten due to it.

A couple off the top of my head:

Men in Black 2's ending was supposed to involve the WTC in the big climax

Lilo & Stitch was going to involve a plane being hijacked and flown through a city which got changed to a spaceship and mountains

While it never actually got made there were plans to film an adaptation of Chuck Palahniuk's novel Survivor but that got scrapped after 9/11 due to (once again) an ending involving a plane hijacking

therattle posted:

I find this really shocking. You cannot deliver a feature film without all music being cleared worldwide in perpetuity in all media (now known or hereafter invented), with some rare exceptions. It’s not fairly common like it seems to be in TV.

TV was different because nobody really expected there to be a secondary market of home releases. Releasing a TV show on VHS was cumbersome since you couldn't fit very many episodes on each tape so it wasn't very common. So contracts pre DVD and streaming would just frequently not bother with securing music rights to a format that just wasn't relevant at the time.

MTV show music rights are complicated for a a completely different reason. In order to better facilitate their ability to make programs MTV had blanket contracts with record labels that said if they had the rights to a song they could use it on any show they wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

muscles like this! posted:

A couple off the top of my head:

Men in Black 2's ending was supposed to involve the WTC in the big climax

Lilo & Stitch was going to involve a plane being hijacked and flown through a city which got changed to a spaceship and mountains

While it never actually got made there were plans to film an adaptation of Chuck Palahniuk's novel Survivor but that got scrapped after 9/11 due to (once again) an ending involving a plane hijacking

TV was different because nobody really expected there to be a secondary market of home releases. Releasing a TV show on VHS was cumbersome since you couldn't fit very many episodes on each tape so it wasn't very common. So contracts pre DVD and streaming would just frequently not bother with securing music rights to a format that just wasn't relevant at the time.

MTV show music rights are complicated for a a completely different reason. In order to better facilitate their ability to make programs MTV had blanket contracts with record labels that said if they had the rights to a song they could use it on any show they wanted.

I figured out the first part of your reply, which makes sense. Had no idea about the second, which is interesting. Thanks!