Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

The Cameo posted:

It holds up pretty well, but definitely shows its roots as someone buying the closest script to Fatal Attraction they could find to cash in on. Hanson had a real good hand at balancing actor-focused prestige drama and sleazy, exploitation flick thrills, though. Ernie Hudson playing a vaguely developmentally-disabled fence builder is a bit weird in the current climate, but he definitely plays him with more dignity than you'd expect when you read that description of his character. The doctor molestation scene is also one of the most uncomfortable things to watch - clearly on purpose, of course - and they really manage to crank blood pressure up with the asthma attacks throughout the movie. Julianne Moore gives a nice little performance, too, Hanson was on the ball with getting her in there before Short Cuts and her becoming a critical darling. It's a nice little thriller, probably the best of the FA cash-ins.

Cool! It's on Prime, so I'll be watching that soon. I totally forgot Ernie Hudson was in it; I remembered the character, but thought it was Tony Todd playing him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

What are some great movies by directors who never made another great movie?

How about Penelope Spheeris, Wayne's World is pretty massive and well made and she certainly never came close to doing it again.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Timby posted:

Ghostbusters by Ivan Reitman comes to mind.

Is Kindergarten Cop well-remembered? Seemed to be big at the time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Chrpno posted:

Is Kindergarten Cop well-remembered? Seemed to be big at the time.

No, and it wasn't super well received when it came out.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Chrpno posted:

How about Penelope Spheeris, Wayne's World is pretty massive and well made and she certainly never came close to doing it again.

Her Decline of Western Civilization series is great as well

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Skwirl posted:

Paul WS Anderson directed several films that were more popular, and close in quality.

So Mortal Kombat and...?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I enjoy Paul WS Anderson’s Mortal Kombat than I do any Paul Thomas Anderson film. I have to live with this fact every day.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

I enjoy Paul WS Anderson’s Mortal Kombat than I do any Paul Thomas Anderson film. I have to live with this fact every day.

That's because it fucken rules, homie.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Is there really a trope of a movie scene where astronauts have a bbq before the big mission or am I just making that up?? I'm thinking there's got to be at least 5 major movies where this is A Thing.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Is there really a trope of a movie scene where astronauts have a bbq before the big mission or am I just making that up?? I'm thinking there's got to be at least 5 major movies where this is A Thing.

Was going to say that it's probably a NASA tradition, since they have a lot of those because superstition isn't exactly incompatible with being a rocket scientist. But apparently they have a traditional breakfast instead.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

wdarkk posted:

Was going to say that it's probably a NASA tradition, since they have a lot of those because superstition isn't exactly incompatible with being a rocket scientist. But apparently they have a traditional breakfast instead.

Rocket scientists definitely have lots of wacky superstitions. For instance, America's greatest rocket scientist believed it was okay to work people to death inside a mountain.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Shared meals are a common way to gather characters together, backyard grilling is an iconic image of 1960s American suburbia, which is the golden age of spaceflight and lots of astronauts live in the Houston suburbs, and it's a form of cooking that comfortably lets you center the male characters. Checks a lot of boxes, which I'm guessing is why I also seem to recall seeing it for a lot of meeting-the-team first act scenes.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Light spoilers for the show For All Mankind:

My question and my previous post were based entirely on the first episode of the very excellent for All Mankind. I was thinking in my head, where's the astronaut barbeque?? Where's the honest reckoning with Werner Von Braun's past?? Both those things happen in the second episode. The astronaut barbeque even has astronauts in hawaiian shirts.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

This is gonna be a localization query, so first off some background. In the UK in the 80s and most of the 90s the majority of us had a grand total of 4 tv stations period. If lucky, you could get a bunch more with cable/satellite and these would tend to be things like CNN, MTV, premium sports and movies etc as well as a few entertainment channels. These 4 channels were in competition enough that most things would be modern/first runs and we also air soap operas around 8pm or so which eats up a lot of the time.

OK so in toooons of US movies we’d see from this same time period, if there was someone watching a movie on TV it would almost always be something in black and white.

Was this a genuine thing - that due to having a bunch of sub channels and more options due to bigger cable/sat systems that much older b&w movies were constantly being played to fill up the airwaves, or was it just cheaper for the filmmakers to invent this, and it wasn’t really that common for people to be watching 30 year old stuff constantly.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I can't remember a ton of movies where this a thing, but either way it doesn't really reflect reality. Re-runs existed, especially in summer, but were usually showing current shows. B+W sets were still somewhat common in the early 80s. Local channels, usually in bigger cities, would have horror hosts and late-night movie blocks.

But most directors were probably just using public domain material, or wanted to pay homage to older stuff. Sometimes it's for plot reasons, like The Honeymooners in Back to the Future.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If it was a cartoon like Bugs Bunny, those started as shorts shown before movies in theaters, which had color starting in the 30s.

Also people didn't switch to color TVs right away, in the US they were commercially available starting in the 50s, but for example my mom told me her family bought a color TV specifically to watch the moon landing in 1969.

Also not all shows started being shot in color right away so there was new programing being made in black and white for quite a while after the introduction of color TVs. So there's a huge overlap of shows being made in color when most people were mostly watching stuff in black and white. Either because their TV was black and white, or they had a color TV but the shows they watched hadn't switched over.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I don’t think those would be big factors in the eighties and nineties. My guess is that old black and white movies were super cheap when it came to paying to have them inside your movie/show.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I misread him elongating "tons" as toons, as in cartoons.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

morestuff posted:

I can't remember a ton of movies where this a thing, but either way it doesn't really reflect reality. Re-runs existed, especially in summer, but were usually showing current shows. B+W sets were still somewhat common in the early 80s. Local channels, usually in bigger cities, would have horror hosts and late-night movie blocks.

But most directors were probably just using public domain material, or wanted to pay homage to older stuff. Sometimes it's for plot reasons, like The Honeymooners in Back to the Future.

Yeah I always presumed the latter, it was always just weird to see... 80s America when you’re a kid in crummy old Britain looked so exciting and it seemed weird how through the lens of movies it seemed you guys were often living in the past from that one single aspect. I knew about cable naturally, but my first time using a US TV and dealing with the sub channels was totally a WTF moment and then realized what kind of content they tended to run. And yeah the US and UK tv seasons work very differently, with the US being generally pretty regimented when it comes to the broadcast networks in comparison to the UKs ‘we’ll just air it when it’s ready, whether it’s 6 months time or 6 years’.

As for examples, yeah BTTF is on the list and that’s a good point about the plot, I’m sure Gremlins is another and that’s probably a similar thing, and I know to me RoboCop always kind of stood out because it used its own handmade clips in colour. Even though it’s late 70s, the idea popped into my head again last night when watching Halloween which seemed to be playing tribute to films for sure (including, wonderfully, The Thing).

Skwirl posted:

I misread him elongating "tons" as toons, as in cartoons.

Absolutely my bad! I’m sorry.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Subchannels didn't actually exist until broadcasters switched to the ATSC standard in the late 2000s

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha! Well I learned something today.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

wdarkk posted:

I don’t think those would be big factors in the eighties and nineties. My guess is that old black and white movies were super cheap when it came to paying to have them inside your movie/show.

This would be my guess too.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I was watching Daughters of Darkness on Tubi recently and noticed an oddity. The film has an OAR of 1.66:1 but they stretched it to 1.85:1 so everyone and everything is slightly wider. I've seen this on TV shows before but never on physical media.

Even the blu-ray does this:
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare/daughters.htm

Zillions of films have been put on disc in the wrong aspect ratio (always by cropping) but this is the first time I recall seeing something stretched on a BD like that.

Anyone know of others?

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I wonder if anyone ever asked the members of Stealers Wheel what they thought about having the song they're best known for inextricably linked to a horrific act of film violence.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SolarFire2 posted:

I wonder if anyone ever asked the members of Stealers Wheel what they thought about having the song they're best known for inextricably linked to a horrific act of film violence.

If you're around my age there's a decent chance you think it's a Bob Dylan song because of mislabeled mp3s on p2p piracy apps.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I love horror hosts, but there’s not many around anymore and some are hard to find, like Svengoolie is only on over the air TV, I haven’t been able to find him on cable.

Is there anyone that does a horror host thing via like, Twitch or anything? I’ve tried searching on google but I can only ever get results for old hosts that aren’t on anymore.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Julius CSAR posted:

I love horror hosts, but there’s not many around anymore and some are hard to find, like Svengoolie is only on over the air TV, I haven’t been able to find him on cable.

Is there anyone that does a horror host thing via like, Twitch or anything? I’ve tried searching on google but I can only ever get results for old hosts that aren’t on anymore.

Joe Bob Briggs has a show on Shudder

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Julius CSAR posted:

There are so many low, low, low rent ones on YouTube and sadly none of them are worth it. I have no idea why nobody of this generation has cracked it and made it their own.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

morestuff posted:

Joe Bob Briggs has a show on Shudder

I didn’t know him growing up due to being in the UK, but I love his Shudder show and watched a ton over October. Did Hellraiser 2 yesterday which has just as much non-movie segments as the film itself and was a great watch.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

feedmyleg posted:

There are so many low, low, low rent ones on YouTube and sadly none of them are worth it. I have no idea why nobody of this generation has cracked it and made it their own.
Rights issues might be one.

But I think the bigger thing is that a lot of these personalities really *love* an aspect of horror films and it just kind of bleeds into what they do. Elvira played up the dumb cheese and overall enjoyableness of a monster flick. Joe Bob was just some guy talking poo poo about films between 6 packs, but could appreciate the craft. Svengoolie, for all his public-access charm, loves hitting cons and talking to people involved with horror flicks but can also hit you with tidbits and behind the scenes poo poo about actors, makeup, series, etc.

It's not like a game streamer where you can toss Among Us in one week and then do Sexy Golf Gaiden and make dumbass noises and voices all day.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
There are a few on Tubi and Prime, but they mostly seem to do micro budget shorts, instead of feature length films.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's definitely negatively affected by everyone having to riff on the same dozen or so watchable public domain horror flicks rather than having a cheap horror movie package to play with. But mostly it's all just super low effort/low talent folks thinking you can just ramble on in a spooky voice/makeup and that's good enough. There's one with decent production values called Creature Features that actually gets decent guests, but to me it completely lacks and charm or life.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
In Planes, Trains and Automobiles why does Neal’s wife give Del such a weird look at the end?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s because of a subplot that didn’t make final cut. There’s actually a bunch of stuff that doesn’t make total sense in the film, and this video does a great job going over them.

https://youtu.be/fEtOEoyqj6k

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

e:f,b^^

CopywrightMMXI posted:

In Planes, Trains and Automobiles why does Neal’s wife give Del such a weird look at the end?

They cut out an entire subplot of the movie, where Neal's wife suspects him of having an affair. She thinks the whole story of Del is a cover for his cheating.

The original cut of the movie is something insane, like 3+ hours.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Enos Cabell posted:

The original cut of the movie is something insane, like 3+ hours.
One hour each for the planes, the trains, and the automobiles.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Does the cut subplot also explain why John Candy warms his hands in Steve Martin's rear end, and why Steve Martin is so pleased about it when he first wakes up, until he realizes whose hands are in his rear end?

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I just finished Vampires vs The Bronx, and I liked it a lot. In it, the boys watch Blade and kind of seem to idolize him. Of course this makes sense, now, but I never really considered how important a character like that could be to young black dudes growing up. And that got me thinking, that as a dude who grew up in white as hell western Pennsylvania, I don't know poo poo about the black experience as it relates to pop culture. Does anyone have any good book recommendations or anything for me to read?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Narzack posted:

I just finished Vampires vs The Bronx, and I liked it a lot. In it, the boys watch Blade and kind of seem to idolize him. Of course this makes sense, now, but I never really considered how important a character like that could be to young black dudes growing up. And that got me thinking, that as a dude who grew up in white as hell western Pennsylvania, I don't know poo poo about the black experience as it relates to pop culture. Does anyone have any good book recommendations or anything for me to read?

https://youtu.be/k6MlwT1lBk0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Narzack posted:

Lot of watched this in October: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9567548/

Of course it's just one branch of a pretty big tree.