Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, plus while you're shooting you probably have a bunch of huge rear end guys from the teamsters hanging around able to physically separate people before it escalates to the point cops would be warranted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's been awhile since I've seen it, but it's revealed to the audience relatively quickly that he's good. Linda Hamilton's freak out when he shows up at her mental institution is great, but it's after we've already seen him save John Connor from the T 1000, so I don't think it's the same as the Talk Radio thing

Joke answer The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

Real answer, don't know when it's going to happen in the movie, so if it's relatively early it's not that bad, but I was a little annoyed at the Han's back reveal in the Fast 9 trailer.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Jaws 4 was pretty bad, I really enjoyed Harry Brown though not sure if that film even got exposure outside the UK.

Michael Caine on Jaws 4 posted:

I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zedd posted:

The Fast and the Furious
2Fast2Furious
Fast and Furious
Fast Five
The Fast and the Furious 6
F&F Tokyo Drift
Furious 7
F8 of the Furious
F&F presents: Hobbs and Shaw
F9: The Fast Saga

:getin:

Is this order of quality? If so I have so many problems with this list.

Fast Five
The Fast and The Furious
Furious 6
Furious 7
Tokyo Drift
Fast and Furious
2 Fast 2 Furious
F8
Hobbes and Shaw is a spin off so I'm not going to rank it
no one has seen F9 so it's impossible to rank

Honestly I don't know where to put Tokyo or 2 Fast on the list I could put either of them anywhere on the list depending on my mood.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Klungar posted:

It’s the chronological order of the movies.

Chronological lists of movies that aren't released in chronological order are loving pointless. Are you one of those assholes who thinks a kid should read The Magician's Nephew before The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe?

Edit: I missed the actual question where someone was asking about where to start with Fast and Furious films. If you plan on watching all of them you should watch them in order of release. If you want to just skip around, watch the first one and then 5, 6, 7.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 6, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Klungar posted:

I mean... I think I personally did? :shrug:

You poor child. Any sort of serial fiction you should almost always read/watch in order of publication, regardless of how the timeline jumps around in the story.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Twists are fun, but if a movie doesn't work if you already know the twist, a movie doesn't work.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Another question if I may. Ghosts of Mars is one of my favourite go-to mindless films. I feel like I read a thread here a couple years ago discussing 'siege' films, which mentioned Assault on Precinct 13, but also an older Western in that vein. Am I remembering wrong? Was it High Noon? I could be way off base, but I'm certain I read that Mars was based on one of the classic westerns.

Rio Bravo probably. John Wayne arrests the brother of some powerful town boss so he hires a bunch of outlaws to break his brother out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

All the recent James Bond movies, the supposedly more gritty and down to earth ones, the movies that are supposed to be all about a guy who fucks and fucks and kills and kills, are all PG-13?? Why would children watch those movies??

So teenagers can see them without depending on theater employees not giving a gently caress.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

As someone who is also not a big Harry Potter fan (after not really digging the first book years before and not remembering anything from it) I made Prisoner of Azkaban my first movie of the series based on Internet Advice. I was never confused, but I did quickly realize that Harry Potter fans wildly exaggerate how much of his directorial style made it into the film. It never felt distinct from the subsequent films in the series to me—though admittedly I was only half-interested when I was watching them based on how much I enjoyed the supposed "best" of the series.

Part of that is later directors borrowed a lot stylistically from Cuaron, whereas the first two are pure Chris Columbus drivel.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Mrs. Doubtfire is complete horseshit the moment you actually pay attention to how gross of a film it really is.

I haven't seen it since the 90s, but I saw a tweet the other day saying something like "if you were a single mother working full time and dating Pierce Brosnan, why on earth wouldn't you let your ex have the kids on weekends?"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

therattle posted:

Maybe your ex is Woody Allen.

And you just somehow made Mrs Doubtfire even worse.

Did you know it's been turned into a stage musical?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLwbzGyC6t4

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I saw Fast and Furious before I saw Point Break, I already knew FF was basically a remake with cars instead of surfing and had seen the clip of Keanu Reeves pointing his gun at Swayze, then firing into the air and had assumed that was the end of the movie, nope it goes on for another 45 minutes and 2 or 3 more action sequences.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, you're generally better off watching Italian movies from then in whatever language in whatever language you're most familiar with.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BisonDollah posted:

I remember a few years ago a story that Harold Lloyd was in the KKK doing the rounds on film news sites. I can't find a link to it for the life of me now, was this a hoax - or a dream?

Wikipedia says he was a Knight Commander in the Freemasons, did you read about that and get a couple wires crossed?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

ynohtna posted:

I'm thinking about those neo-noirs again.

In addition to The Last Seduction and Bound, what others am I missing that are from the perspective of the femme fatale(s)?

Femme Fatale by Brian DePalma

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Obviously not for every movie, but Robert Rodriguez liked putting "Shot and chopped by Robert Rodriguez" and various versions of that on his films

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Does the professor in Prince of Darkness lose his teaching job when he reports back to the college that like 10 of his students died in an experiment he was conducting?

Depends on if he was tenured or not.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

I'm looking for precise answers here this is an important question.

If he had tenure he wasn't fired.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

I don't know where else to ask this, but it just occurred to me earlier today, how do people get tickets to shows like Let's Make A Deal, or when a sitcom is filmed in front of a live studio audience? I'm guessing some are given out as prizes and stuff, but I don't think I've ever seen their sale advertised anywhere, or even heard about somewhere to get them.

Audience tickets are free. If they ever start filming in front of studio audiences again you can usually just check the website for the show and they'll have information on how to get tickets. It's usually a lot of people visiting New York or LA from out of town who are big fans of the show. I saw The Daily Show like 15 years ago this way when on a family trip to New York.

I remember being a kid and game shows would have a phone number you could call to get info about tickets.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Klungar posted:

I feel like we went through metal detectors? Either way, it’s not like I didn’t have my phone on me. They definitely tell you not to take an recordings but unless you are blatantly taking a video or something I’m not sure how they’d know.

Even if you're not recording I bet they loving hate it when audience members look at their phones during a taping.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

In the movie Sinister 2, how did the kid survive being hit by a car at full speed and then chase a full grown rear end man and woman down with a sickle?

He didn't skip leg day.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DorianGravy posted:

Did older B-movies like Space Mutiny or Ator: the Fighting Eagle (in general, the sort of movies you find on MST3K) get theatrical releases, or were they straight-to-video? I was curious because of how blatantly Space Mutiny uses the special effects from Battlestar Galactica. Unless that was officially licensed, I can't see that flying for a theatrical release.

Also, were cheap-ish movies like that made before VHS was a thing? Did they just get limited theatrical releases, or were they distributed in some other way?

Direct to video movies did not exist until the 90's. You could blatantly re-use effects because people wouldn't have seen the original use in months or years. Cheap movies have existed since movies have existed.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

A weirdly controversial opinion on this forum, but Event Horizon.

Paul WS Anderson directed several films that were more popular, and close in quality.

(And also a 2011 adaptation of Three Musketeers I didn't know about with Milla Jovovich and Mads Mikkelsen)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Chrpno posted:

Is Kindergarten Cop well-remembered? Seemed to be big at the time.

No, and it wasn't super well received when it came out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

If it was a cartoon like Bugs Bunny, those started as shorts shown before movies in theaters, which had color starting in the 30s.

Also people didn't switch to color TVs right away, in the US they were commercially available starting in the 50s, but for example my mom told me her family bought a color TV specifically to watch the moon landing in 1969.

Also not all shows started being shot in color right away so there was new programing being made in black and white for quite a while after the introduction of color TVs. So there's a huge overlap of shows being made in color when most people were mostly watching stuff in black and white. Either because their TV was black and white, or they had a color TV but the shows they watched hadn't switched over.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I misread him elongating "tons" as toons, as in cartoons.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SolarFire2 posted:

I wonder if anyone ever asked the members of Stealers Wheel what they thought about having the song they're best known for inextricably linked to a horrific act of film violence.

If you're around my age there's a decent chance you think it's a Bob Dylan song because of mislabeled mp3s on p2p piracy apps.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Narzack posted:

I just finished Vampires vs The Bronx, and I liked it a lot. In it, the boys watch Blade and kind of seem to idolize him. Of course this makes sense, now, but I never really considered how important a character like that could be to young black dudes growing up. And that got me thinking, that as a dude who grew up in white as hell western Pennsylvania, I don't know poo poo about the black experience as it relates to pop culture. Does anyone have any good book recommendations or anything for me to read?

https://youtu.be/k6MlwT1lBk0

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

What are some unscripted movies (or movies with scripts that were basically ignored) that aren't already on this list?

A good chunk of mumblecore films, most of Christopher Guest's movies.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zogo posted:

I was watching Holy Motors on Tubi but turned it off halfway through because they blurred out the nudity.

Anyone know if the region 1 DVD is censored as well?

I was about to say it isn't, but realized I was thinking of Holy Mountain.

It probably isn't if the version released in theater wasn't.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zogo posted:

Yeah, it appears the BD is uncensored so the DVD probably is as well.

Either way it's a strange situation as I haven't seen something like this in a long time. Probably when many of the characters in Showgirls had clothing rotoscoped on. But that was on regular cable and not streaming.

TUBI probably just has the tv version for some weird reason.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

What do the machines do for fun? What is their existence even like now that they aren't slaves? (They were slaves in the animatrix?)

Pretend to be married to Trinity, or pretend to be her kids.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rochallor posted:

A thought I had the other day: what is the earliest "ironic" use of a piece of happy music (eg Ode to Joy or What a Wonderful World accompanying a nuclear explosion) and what is the latest usage of music that is now generally used in that way being used unironically (eg a happy couple dancing to What a Wonderful World)? This isn't necessarily limited to movies, though I suspect a movie would be the earliest medium in which you'd see it.

The earliest example I can think of is Dr. Strangelove, and that's debatable anyway, as We'll Meet Again is already a kind of bittersweet song, but it's happy sounding, at least.

Probably Strangelove, I don't think there were any comedies featuring a nuclear explosion before then.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Dr Strangelove is a comedy??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAeqVGP-GPM

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, the music thing has hosed with a bunch of shows getting rereleased. Daria and Mission Hill are two off the top of my head

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone know who started the trend of location title cards that were HUGE IMPACT FONT FILLING THE SCREEN

I’m watching The Dropout on Hulu (great series, first episode a little choppy but it’s great after that) and they’re doing a Medium Size Impact Font Title Card Filling 1/3 of The Screen and made me wonder

Edit:

Not sure where it started, but the TV Fringe did a cool twist on that where the location cards were 3d objects inhabiting the frame.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

I watched Troll 2 with some friends last night, and it was fun, but I feel I've seen films that are more incoherent, dull or less creative than it. The dialogue and acting is awful, and the effects are clearly very cheap but there's little flashes of competence or imagination in it and an intentional gag or performance that works.

Anyway, many yuks were had at the idea it was completely unrelated to the original Troll, and being the pedantic nerd I am who is always a smash at parties, I mentioned that making barely related sequels to popular films isn't entirety uncommon in Italian B-Cinema and I could think of Alien 2: On Earth and Zombi 2 off the top of my head.

Asides from those, are there any other obvious ones I'm missing? I'm also interested in blatant misleading retitling for other markets to, like the Spanish film Night of the Seagulls being sold as Return of the Evil Dead, at least in the UK.

There's like a dozen Django sequels and only one of them is official.

Edit: wikipedia says there's over 30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

You gotta take the lens cap off

Also have to turn the camera on.