Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Leavemywife posted:

I guess I wasn't thinking about it like that. It's Hollywood. They're probably better at fending off the cops than if it happens in a Walgreens parking lot.

There was the story of a bodyguard being hired for Sonny Landham during the filming of Predator. Not to protect him from people, but to protect people from him.

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

Is Otto Preminger's Porgy and Bess still considered a lost film? I've been reading about the movie, and it is apparently one of the "holy grails" of lost films and is extremely difficult to watch.

However, just recently I got a super-low quality copy of it on DVD from my local library. From what I can tell the movie on the disc is the right movie, though I haven't watched it yet. Did my library just end up with a bootleg copy of a movie that has never gotten a home release and hasn't been shown on TV since the 70s?

Looks like all that existed were dodgy prints that were incomplete until somewhat recently?

quote:

Prints of the film are "beyond rare" and the film has been called "the holy grail of missing movies." Though bootleg copies are available, it is not known if a complete, quality print exists. Michael Strunsky, the trustee and executor of the Ira Gershwin Musical Estate, told The Hollywood Reporter in 2017 that Ira Gershwin and his wife, Leonore, viewed the film as a "piece of poo poo" and directed Goldwyn to destroy all remaining films 20 years after release, as was their right. However, Michael Feinstein, who was Ira Gershwin's assistant, denies that this ever happened.

A faded 70mm print with faulty 6-track magnetic sound and German subtitles has been discovered and was screened for the opening of the 22. International Film Festival Innsbruck.

It wasn't until 2007 that it was given a theatrical showing again when, on September 26 and 27, the Ziegfeld Theatre in midtown-Manhattan presented it in its entirety, complete with overture, intermission and exit music, followed by a discussion with Preminger biographer Foster Hirsch.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Klungar posted:

Haven't seen it, but having read reviews/comments on those reviews, it appears it is the same twist as The Village.

I don't even understand how that would work.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Klungar posted:

How what would work? I haven't been following this movie at all, but descriptions of the plot and trailers seem to slot in with that sort of twist pretty easily.

Unless time travel is established as something real in the film, I don't see how someone would just buy that they've time travelled, when in fact, nope it's all fake and it's still the present.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

There was an episode of The Young Ones where one of the characters sings one single line from a Simon & Garfunkel song. It had to be edited out of the US DVD release.