Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

fart simpson posted:

will i ever be able to see a non comic book movie again

My list of stuff from 2019 I still need to see is like 30 movies long and growing so there's movies out there if you look for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Hey which version of Dark City am I meant to watch so it doesnt have the spoilery narration also don't spoil me please

Director's cut

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Mierenneuker posted:

Recently in a different thread I made the remark that there is the desire that it had been a plot twist to them. People like the movie and you know what would make it even better? If they didn't know that one thing ahead of time. That it would have amazed them. It doesn't really matter what the intent of the script writer, director and marketing department was.

I mean the film itself definitely treats it as a twist, regardless of whether the marketing spoiled it or not

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

I couldn't get into it because I was ridiculously aggreived at the idea of CG car stunts.

In fact, after the first, are practical stunts still a thing in that series at all?

The climactic scene in Fast Five was done by sawing a truck in half and plopping a fake bank vault on top

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaHxGu5YeKM

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Is there an 80s equivalent of the The Long Goodbye - The Big Lebowski - Under The Silver Lake tradition of present-day Raymond Chandler riffs? Closest I can think of is After Dark, My Sweet but that was ‘90.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

L.A. Confidential would count, but thats late 90s.

Had to google it but what about :
* Tequila Sunrise
* Alien Nation
* Angel Heart
* Blade Runner

And, of course,
* Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Has to be set contemporary to when it was made, and if possible have a time capsule quality like those three do. Lebowski is a little bit of a cheat since it was set in ‘91 and released in ‘98 but close enough

Like the ‘00s has Brick, even if I don’t think that movie is in the same league

morestuff fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 11, 2020

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Empress Brosephine posted:

Lebowski was set in 91? I always thought it was set in the late 70s.

There’s a lot of talk in the background about the impending gulf war so I guess actually ‘90

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You also get the Chicago accent in a lot of stuff, mostly because character actors from the area were all over 80s and 90s tv and film. (RIP Dennehy.) Southern accents and Texan accents are also two distinct things that might be hard for someone outside the region to pick up on. Then there's African-American English, which isn't tied to a specific area

Really though regional accents in the US have flattened out a lot and in most situations language reflecting class tells you more about a character

morestuff fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 17, 2020

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Maestro posted:

How about Blue Velvet?

That's an interesting one. It doesn't have the usual tone or L.A. setting, but it definitely has the criminal conspiracy and the "investigator meets a bunch of weirdos" thread

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

From what I gather Deep Red was originally in Italian, but it's probably worth picking up the DVD anyway. There's a lot of different cuts out there

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Leavemywife posted:

With that, how do screenwriters and the like get credited? There are uncredited writers and script doctors, but how is it determined who gets the credit?

From what I understand if there's any dispute, screenwriters submit drafts and info to the Writers' Guild who convenes a panel to determine credit

morestuff fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 24, 2020

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Chrpno posted:

How about Penelope Spheeris, Wayne's World is pretty massive and well made and she certainly never came close to doing it again.

Her Decline of Western Civilization series is great as well

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I can't remember a ton of movies where this a thing, but either way it doesn't really reflect reality. Re-runs existed, especially in summer, but were usually showing current shows. B+W sets were still somewhat common in the early 80s. Local channels, usually in bigger cities, would have horror hosts and late-night movie blocks.

But most directors were probably just using public domain material, or wanted to pay homage to older stuff. Sometimes it's for plot reasons, like The Honeymooners in Back to the Future.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Subchannels didn't actually exist until broadcasters switched to the ATSC standard in the late 2000s

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Julius CSAR posted:

I love horror hosts, but there’s not many around anymore and some are hard to find, like Svengoolie is only on over the air TV, I haven’t been able to find him on cable.

Is there anyone that does a horror host thing via like, Twitch or anything? I’ve tried searching on google but I can only ever get results for old hosts that aren’t on anymore.

Joe Bob Briggs has a show on Shudder

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I wanted to watch The Hound of the Baskervilles with Peter Cushing, but the version on Amazon Prime seems filmed on video and has TV movie production. I’d chalk it up to a weird Prime labeling thing but it looks like Cushing is also in this version?

Was he in two versions of this? Or is that the real movie really this cheap-looking? Maybe I was expecting too much but most Hammer stuff usually looks pretty good

Cushing is still great though

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Well I wish I hadn’t paid $2 for this now

Thanks

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

A lot of Altman and Cassavetes movies

Edit: actually “unscripted” probably isn’t accurate for those

morestuff fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 11, 2021

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Carthag Tuek posted:

Who's nic cage named after

Luke Cage

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Any good movie magazines out there still publishing? I'm missing Film Comment

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I watched Nightbreed last night and assumed it didn’t make much sense because I was watching the famously chopped up theatrical cut, but I guess Prime has the Director’s cut. Is there any logic or explanation in one of the many cuts as to who ends up in Midian? At one point they imply that they’re just monster fairy folk or whatever, then it seems to go by vampire rules, but that one guy shows up there after cutting his face off and dying with no real explanation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

CGI definitely made that easier (and Panic Room was an early adopter) but you can see a crude but still stylish take on a similar idea in the North by Northwest credits

https://youtu.be/1ON67uYwGaw?si=cPxYjLOdbbii2OrE