Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

feedmyleg posted:

99% probability that it was to make it more "accessible" to dumb-dumbs in test screenings who wrote "I was confused for most of the movie :("

Congrats for being able to watch it the first time without getting spoiled! When I first saw it I didn't have access to the director's cut, but CineD told me to just cover my ears for the first minute or whatnot so I made it out unscathed, too.

Honestly, that's the best way to do it. The director's cut is more poorly-paced, and the rest of what it includes is pretty extraneous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Krankenstyle posted:

when my cousin showed me dark city on dvd in like 2002-ish, he told me that his friends had said we should watch the intro sequence without sound

i remember thinking at the time that it was really dumb because sound is a huge part of a movie experience to me (also im not sure he explained it properly tbh), but im glad we did watch it like that

i dont think i ever saw the directors cut, can you elaborate on the pacing problems?

Not super well, because it's been a long time since I've seen it, but all the scenes that are added back in do nothing but spell out information that's conveyed a lot more elegantly elsewhere, and that really slows things down.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone know who started the trend of location title cards that were HUGE IMPACT FONT FILLING THE SCREEN

I’m watching The Dropout on Hulu (great series, first episode a little choppy but it’s great after that) and they’re doing a Medium Size Impact Font Title Card Filling 1/3 of The Screen and made me wonder

Edit:

The first movie I remember doing something like this was Quantum of Solace, so I feel like it goes back to the 2000s at least

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

I watched Troll 2 with some friends last night, and it was fun, but I feel I've seen films that are more incoherent, dull or less creative than it. The dialogue and acting is awful, and the effects are clearly very cheap but there's little flashes of competence or imagination in it and an intentional gag or performance that works.

Anyway, many yuks were had at the idea it was completely unrelated to the original Troll, and being the pedantic nerd I am who is always a smash at parties, I mentioned that making barely related sequels to popular films isn't entirety uncommon in Italian B-Cinema and I could think of Alien 2: On Earth and Zombi 2 off the top of my head.

Asides from those, are there any other obvious ones I'm missing? I'm also interested in blatant misleading retitling for other markets to, like the Spanish film Night of the Seagulls being sold as Return of the Evil Dead, at least in the UK.

1985's Demons had one official sequel and nine completely unrelated would-be followups: https://letterboxd.com/cerise/list/demons-and-its-kinda-sequels/detail/

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

Don't sleep on Demons 3: The Church, it rules.

:hmmyes: The Sect and Cemetery Man are bangers too, and Mask of Satan's a good, batshitty time