Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I've read stories about actors getting into fist fights on sets, but I don't think I've ever seen one about the cops being called. Why is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I guess I wasn't thinking about it like that. It's Hollywood. They're probably better at fending off the cops than if it happens in a Walgreens parking lot.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

What does the director of an animated film actually do? Are they just kind of like a general oversight person to see everything coming together at all parts?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

therattle posted:

How do you want the film to look? What is the final script? How do these characters interact? What is the colour palette? How is each character dressed? What is the style of animation? Which actors will voice the roles, and what music will we use? These, among other things, are what the director decides.

Ah, cool. I was never sure.

feedmyleg posted:

Yes. That's what the director on any project does.

It's not like they're sitting in a chair, shouting, "Action!" when it's time to start animating? drat.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

You know, you're right; I never really thought about how much the director is pretty much just a manager, but for a movie. They'll have final say on a lot of things, but it's really up to the team they've assembled to make it all shine.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Yeah, so, I pretty much learned that I had very little idea of what a director actually does on set. I feel like an idiot.

Who is considered to be the most hands on director, like who consistently kept themselves involved in every level? Kubrick? I feel like he's gotta be up there.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I don't know where else to ask this, but it just occurred to me earlier today, how do people get tickets to shows like Let's Make A Deal, or when a sitcom is filmed in front of a live studio audience? I'm guessing some are given out as prizes and stuff, but I don't think I've ever seen their sale advertised anywhere, or even heard about somewhere to get them.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I never had any idea that you could just do it that way. If my family and I are ever going to be around New York or LA, maybe I'll check into trying that out.

The trip report was cool, too, and I'm a little jealous. That seems like it'd be even better than seeing Clinton, just being able to listen to Colbert just basically chat about himself and take questions.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

How many rewrites and revisions does a script generally go through before it is finalized and ready for shooting? I know some scripts have rewrites and all that even well into production, but do any scripts get greenlighted in their initial form (barring the general editing and revision process done to basically any form of writing)?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

therattle posted:

Almost never. Most scripts go through at least two redrafts and accompanying revisions; most go through many more. About 4-5 full drafts plus revisions and a polish is pretty common.

With that, how do screenwriters and the like get credited? There are uncredited writers and script doctors, but how is it determined who gets the credit?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

What's the twist in Antebellum? I've heard it's really dumb, but I've not seen anyone on this forum just go ahead and state whatever the gently caress it is. I don't care if it's a spoiler.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Man, I haven't thought about The Hand That Rocks The Cradle in years. I remember liking it when I saw it; does it hold up?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

The Cameo posted:

It holds up pretty well, but definitely shows its roots as someone buying the closest script to Fatal Attraction they could find to cash in on. Hanson had a real good hand at balancing actor-focused prestige drama and sleazy, exploitation flick thrills, though. Ernie Hudson playing a vaguely developmentally-disabled fence builder is a bit weird in the current climate, but he definitely plays him with more dignity than you'd expect when you read that description of his character. The doctor molestation scene is also one of the most uncomfortable things to watch - clearly on purpose, of course - and they really manage to crank blood pressure up with the asthma attacks throughout the movie. Julianne Moore gives a nice little performance, too, Hanson was on the ball with getting her in there before Short Cuts and her becoming a critical darling. It's a nice little thriller, probably the best of the FA cash-ins.

Cool! It's on Prime, so I'll be watching that soon. I totally forgot Ernie Hudson was in it; I remembered the character, but thought it was Tony Todd playing him.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Who makes the credit sequences for movies? Is there a specific job for being a credit-maker, or is it something an effects place slaps together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Why do they rarely film movies in chronological order?