Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I just started watching L'avventura, and the framing of even the simplest of scenes is just impeccable - reminds me of Kurosawa or Tarkovsky. Now my temptation is to go all "they don't make em like this any more," but I'm sure they do.

So my question is - what are the most old school films today in terms of their blocking and framing? I thought of a few that may fit the bill - Portrait of a Lady on Fire, Pain & Glory, and The Lighthouse - but I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Some other ones I think fit the category would be Cold War, Roma, and Call Me By Your Name.

Zogo posted:

The following Wes Anderson films are perfectly meticulous:
-The Royal Tenenbaums
-Moonrise Kingdom
If it were a snake it would have bit me! I remember thinking Moonrise felt very French New Wave.

quote:

A couple of older ones that are also impeccable:
-Hiroshima My Love (1959)
This was on my watch list, but I'm moving it up!

Electronico6 posted:

Bong Joon-ho and Johnnie To are probably the closest thing to A.Kurosawa these days.

Drug War(2012)
Nice! I'm definitely checking this one out.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

DorianGravy posted:

Did older B-movies like Space Mutiny or Ator: the Fighting Eagle (in general, the sort of movies you find on MST3K) get theatrical releases, or were they straight-to-video? I was curious because of how blatantly Space Mutiny uses the special effects from Battlestar Galactica. Unless that was officially licensed, I can't see that flying for a theatrical release.

Also, were cheap-ish movies like that made before VHS was a thing? Did they just get limited theatrical releases, or were they distributed in some other way?
Short answer: Yes. Here's a newspaper ad for Ator. Didn't see one for Space Mutiny.

Longer answer is that before the era of the corporate multiplex, there were more theaters, each with a slightly more curated lineup. Here's a newspaper clipping from 1982 showing the drive-in theater offerings in the Pittsburgh area. Even from just one weekend you can sort of get an idea of which ones are more mainstream and which ones would show Ator.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Narzack posted:

I just finished Vampires vs The Bronx, and I liked it a lot. In it, the boys watch Blade and kind of seem to idolize him. Of course this makes sense, now, but I never really considered how important a character like that could be to young black dudes growing up. And that got me thinking, that as a dude who grew up in white as hell western Pennsylvania, I don't know poo poo about the black experience as it relates to pop culture. Does anyone have any good book recommendations or anything for me to read?
Lot of watched this in October: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9567548/

Of course it's just one branch of a pretty big tree.