Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ruddiger posted:

Is there a list of media that was rewritten/reshot due to 9/11? I just found out about the heavy rewrites to the Matrix sequels and was wondering what other films were compromised due to the anxieties of that event?

I know the Sopranos went through a similar overhaul, but I don’t know if they had major storylines rewritten due to it.

A couple off the top of my head:

Men in Black 2's ending was supposed to involve the WTC in the big climax

Lilo & Stitch was going to involve a plane being hijacked and flown through a city which got changed to a spaceship and mountains

While it never actually got made there were plans to film an adaptation of Chuck Palahniuk's novel Survivor but that got scrapped after 9/11 due to (once again) an ending involving a plane hijacking

therattle posted:

I find this really shocking. You cannot deliver a feature film without all music being cleared worldwide in perpetuity in all media (now known or hereafter invented), with some rare exceptions. It’s not fairly common like it seems to be in TV.

TV was different because nobody really expected there to be a secondary market of home releases. Releasing a TV show on VHS was cumbersome since you couldn't fit very many episodes on each tape so it wasn't very common. So contracts pre DVD and streaming would just frequently not bother with securing music rights to a format that just wasn't relevant at the time.

MTV show music rights are complicated for a a completely different reason. In order to better facilitate their ability to make programs MTV had blanket contracts with record labels that said if they had the rights to a song they could use it on any show they wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU