Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
Is Otto Preminger's Porgy and Bess still considered a lost film? I've been reading about the movie, and it is apparently one of the "holy grails" of lost films and is extremely difficult to watch.

However, just recently I got a super-low quality copy of it on DVD from my local library. From what I can tell the movie on the disc is the right movie, though I haven't watched it yet. Did my library just end up with a bootleg copy of a movie that has never gotten a home release and hasn't been shown on TV since the 70s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Egbert Souse posted:

Porgy and Bess has all sorts of issues that are likely. It's unlikely the camera negative and other prime elements are gone (just prints), but a 1959 65mm production will undoubtedly have severe fading issues (like Spartacus, One-Eyed Jacks, and North by Northwest), if it wasn't stored well it could have vinegar syndrome.

Library of Congress lists an archival copyright registration 35mm print in their holdings that seems complete, but it's probably faded (not listed as ib tech).

I'm just surprised it is listed as an extremely rare lost film when there is a DVD of it that I was able to watch with little trouble. The version I watched is twenty minutes shorter than the running time listed on Wikipedia (and is low quality and has opening title credits in a different aspect ratio), so maybe it doesn't count as a "complete" version of the film.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Egbert Souse posted:

A lot of times, people refer to "lost films" that have extant film elements and prints, they just haven't been in circulation for a very long time.

Cool, thanks for the clarification.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
I've started noticing a lot of uncredited cast members showing up at the bottom of IMDB cast lists. I assumed it was because up-and-coming actors added themselves so all the stuff they listed on their resume could be confirmed on IMDB, but I just noticed the same thing on 1964's Hush...Hush, Sweet Charlotte. Which makes me think something else is going on.

Why this new section and where do they get the information from? At the top of (at least some) IMDB cast lists it now says "verified as complete," which I don't remember seeing before, so maybe IMDB's going to extra effort to complete the cast lists? Anyone know if this is a new thing, where and why the info comes from, etc.?

Groundskeeper Silly fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 22, 2020

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

Tenzarin posted:

In the movie the taken, why is the french guy throwing a party while his illegal girl slave auction is happening in the basement?

In addition to what Klungar said, why not have it during a party? It's pretty clear they're all super rich, and thus basically above the law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
What are some great movies by directors who never made another great movie? I don't care about stuff like The Night of the Hunter by directors who didn't produce a lot, but more like movies like Training Day, where some middling director who has a ton of credits was never able to come close to the success of their most popular film.